Old 02-03-2015, 10:30 AM   #1
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Question Inside Passage Markers/Buoy Question

OK folks. This one is for those who have done the inside passage. Next year we will be exploring the San Juans up to the Broughtons. How are the channels marked from Desolation Sound to Port McNeal? Are they the traditional red/green markers/buoys. If they are red/green buoys does the "Red Right Return" apply?

Just asking as I do not know and there is the TF experts.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:40 AM   #2
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
What stinking markers

There are very few Channel Markers and Bouy's North of Cambell River.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:53 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I found very few as well.

I did find the charts on my plotter to be very accurate though.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:39 AM   #4

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Timeless
Vessel Model: CHB 34
Mostly you will find the lateral system is used (red/green). Red right returning does apply when proceeding from seaward, upstream or northbound on the west coast. It is always best to identify the hazard the aid to navigation is marking to determine how to pass it. You may encounter some cardinal buoys as well however they are few and far between.
Here's a link to further information.
Canada's Buoyage System - CCG - Aids to Navigation
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:46 AM   #5
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Canadian aids to navigation conform to international standards. Print this out and keep it in the wheelhouse....

http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/folios/0002...p-2011-eng.pdf
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:58 AM   #6
Guru

You have to know which is returning and some times that can be confusing. That is why I like to use paper charts for the overview and as mentioned it allows you to figure out what the marker is there for by recognizing the danger the marker wants you to avoid. My electronic charts if not tuned to multiple magnifications can lead me astray.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:59 AM   #7
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
There are not many bouys and markers as pointed out. Not difficult but just be aware.

In the Broughtons there are rocks and reefs that are simply not marked and some of them stand well off and out from the apparent shore. You must understand where you are. It's not difficult as long as you stay aware of where you are.

This is one area that I definitely use paper charts as well as the electronic. I don't need any electronic failure leaving me going WTH. but I do use that electr. to help confirm where I think I am.

You do not need electr. as we ran up there many times before electr. charts became de riguer but they do help as long as they don't goof up. I'm just mentioning this to point out the area is not difficult, have I said just BE AWARE.

There is one area in particular at Port McNeil that the currents directions are somewhat contrary. Use the charts [ware] and study as the bouys/markers won't make immediate "sense".

When you are using electr. WATCH THE ZOOM LEVEL.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:21 PM   #8
Guru

Thanks TAD. Printed and will place in wheel house. Thnaks to everyone else, I knew the TF folks would have knowlege....
Old 02-03-2015, 01:38 PM   #9
Scraping Paint

City: -
One thing up the Passage that we have found to be very helpful in flying up it in very poor visibility (quarter mile if we're lucky) and at altitudes of fifty to one hundred feet are the on-shore markers on the more prominent points of land. I don't know how much value they would have to a boater but we find they make great confirmation that we're following the correct channel. These markers are included on the sectional aviation charts we use on these flights.

With GPS plotters and radar, these markers may have been rendered redundant now, but there have been occasions when we've been glad they're there. Particularly in low visibility-- mist or rain-- the shorelines can all get looking the same so anything that stands out can be helpful.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:58 PM   #10
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Inside Passage Markers/Buoy Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
One thing up the Passage that we have found to be very helpful in flying up it in very poor visibility (quarter mile if we're lucky) and at altitudes of fifty to one hundred feet are the on-shore markers on the more prominent points of land. I don't know how much value they would have to a boater but we find they make great confirmation that we're following the correct channel. These markers are included on the sectional aviation charts we use on these flights.

With GPS plotters and radar, these markers may have been rendered redundant now, but there have been occasions when we've been glad they're there. Particularly in low visibility-- mist or rain-- the shorelines can all get looking the same so anything that stands out can be helpful.

WRT prominent points of land, the CHS charts have the height contours on land. The Vector charts DO NOT. That's a good reason to have the paper charts or redundancy with the actual digital CHS charts.

In my view, the biggest issue is understanding the effects of currents on navigation. Be aware that some of the electronic tide tables are not accurate in some areas (Malibu Rapids, for example). Get the CHA tide and current tables, available for purchase ($6.50 each of 3 books). I advise studying the various "sailing directions" volumes as well as some of the cruising guides. Anne Vipond's "Anchorages of the Inside Passage" and Hamilton's "Cruising the Secret Coast" discuss entries into channels, etc.

CHS tide and current tables available online here..

http://www.chs-shc.gc.ca/publications/ctct-tmcc-eng.asp

Finally, be able to use your radar effectively for collision avoidance.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:42 PM   #11
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
ASD

We have found the buoys from Victoria to well past Glacier Bay are in place to allow "old time navigation" if you have charts. Each turn in the main channels can be made with the next buoy or shore station in sight, even at night. No chart plotters needed. For those who enjoy Log Racing it can be quite a nice experience.

An Ipad with Navionics or similar will allow you to lay out your entire first pass course as you sit in the Oregon winter.

Further to Marin's post, the commercial float plane operators I've met carry and use marine chart plotters.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:57 PM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Canadian bouys and marks comply with the same international standards as US Ocean waters. This is NOT the same as US inland waters rules. Red Right Return applies. The difficulty with this rule is its application when you have no clues present to allow you to determine which direction is the "Return". It is always the best practice to have up to date paper charts along, rather than running from mark to mark. A small investment for a trip through the world's most scenic waterway.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

You might want to pick up a copy of Kevin Monahan's "Local Knowledge":

Local Knowledge: A Skipper's Reference : Tacoma To Ketchikan (Fine Edge Nautical Knowledge): Kevin Monahan: 9781932310115: Amazon.com: Books
Sisuitl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:50 AM   #14
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
We find "Ports and Passes" to be much more user-friendly than the Canadian reference books for tides and currents.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:57 AM   #15
Guru

City: Cowiche, WA
SeaDuction,

We will be heading to the Broughtons this summer too. Not sure which route through the "Gates" we will take yet but our plan is to leave first week or so in July and be back to Seattle area last week of August. Hope to run into you somewhere up there.
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:28 AM   #16
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
There are very few Channel Markers and Bouy's North of Cambell River.
This comment is the first I've heard that people would consider this an issue. I certainly haven't compared Puget Sound with the local waters up here and said "Wow! How come there aren't any channel markers?"

The CHS puts out the "Pacific Coast Sailing Directions" which are intended to accompany the charts.

Canadian Hydrographic Service

As mentioned, Kevin Monahan's recent book "Local Knowledge" has an excellent section on the currents of the main passages north and is worth a read because he explains the dynamics of the currents in Cordero Passage and Johnstone Strait and how to use these currents to your advantage.

We found the Cordero Channel route to be preferable to Seymour Narrows. Everybody and his dog goes through Seymour Narrows at slack water and it can be a bit of a gong show. Cruise ships, tugs with tows, small sail boats trying to sail through--you name it. Transiting the three sets of rapids in Cordero Channel (Dents, Gillards and Yucultas) requires careful timing. You will want to time things for slack water at the Dents and Monahan provides information on how to do these calculations.

BTW, perhaps this thread should be moved to the general forum as it really isn't anything to do with Electronics etc.?

Jim
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:16 PM   #17
Guru

Great responses everyone. Just planning. Just to be clear we are not traveling until summer 2016. Thanks everyone. JD my question was about navigation. Isn't this Electrical and Electronics and Navigation forum?
Old 02-04-2015, 05:42 PM   #18
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
ASD,
Because of storms, tides, remoteness and other factors nav aids are not maintained as well as they are down south with some exceptions that have heavy traffic like Wrangell Narrows. I once heard a report of a can in the wrong place (in the narrows) and just as we got there the CG arrived to rectify the situation. Been through Rocky Pass several times and don't recall any issues at all. They took all the nav aids out of there some years ago to discourage traffic. Put them back about 10 years ago I think. I admit I wouldn't go through there w/o nav aids AND a GPS chart plotter. My dad did though. Went through half of Rocky Pass many times hunting w his good friend Rod Darnell ... in Rod's old wood Chris Craft.

I Alaska it's best to be more independent than down south but I wouldn't say SE is risky due to poor nav aids.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:59 AM   #19
Guru

Thanks Eric. It was the same way in south central Alaska, Prince William Sound. Very few markers until you get to the shipping lanes out of Valdez.