Old 02-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #21
Doc
Guru

RE: Battery Question

Moonstruck, yes it was Isles YC. All hat and no cattle is the norm but a couple of guys stepped up and the battery is replaced. It is a great club but as chairman of the food and beverage committee I sometimes pull out the rest of my hair over the bonehead mistakes the kitchen can make. Things may be better since we fired the F&B Manager.

Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:01 PM   #22
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
Doc wrote:

Moonstruck, yes it was Isles YC. All hat and no cattle is the norm but a couple of guys stepped up and the battery is replaced. It is a great club but as chairman of the food and beverage committee I sometimes pull out the rest of my hair over the bonehead mistakes the kitchen can make. Things may be better since we fired the F&B Manager.
Doc, we had two great meals there.* Lunch on Saturday, and the Sunday brunch.* The dock master and commodore were very nice in showing us around and making us feel at home.* After checking, the visit was Jan. '10.* Here is a picture of Moonstruck at the dock there.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cimg0155.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	4803  

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:17 AM   #23
FF
Guru

When I talked , years ago, to Mr Surette his method of extending the life of house batts was a slightly lower acid content (Specific Gravity) on initial fill.

Most were shipped dry then so it was easy if someone wanted extended life.

In my humble experience the best thing one can do for the batt set is a single solar panel 75-85W and a charge controller.

The longer the bat stays less than 100% charged the shorter the service life.

Solar is free , and DAILY!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:24 PM   #24
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:

Doc wrote:

AGM's last longer and are more expensive. Plus when they die, it is a sudden death. One minute it is faithfully on duty and the next minute it is toes up without even a faint moan.

I had a flooded cell car battery do that recently so that's not exclusive of any particular battery technology.

Started the car up just fine, drove about fifteen minutes to the self service ice machine, shut it off for less than five minutes and it wouldn't start the car.* Not even a click.* Couldn't even jump start it, they had to tow it home and I went and got a replacement.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:03 PM   #25

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Pioneer
Vessel Model: Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure

No-one's mentioned Gels.*

Ours are*coming up to*17 years old (made in 1994) and according to my state of charge meter and charging time, as good as new. They were "recondioned" or desulfated in 2004.

I know they are expensive, I was lucky enough to get them second-hand, but being absolutely maintenance free and having a system that sits at around 26V (24V design) is just great. Bright lights, excellent refrigeration,*powerful toilet, everything just works better.
Bendit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:41 PM   #26
Per
Guru

Quote:
FF wrote:

When I talked , years ago, to Mr Surette his method of extending the life of house batts was a slightly lower acid content (Specific Gravity) on initial fill.

Most were shipped dry then so it was easy if someone wanted extended life.

In my humble experience the best thing one can do for the batt set is a single solar panel 75-85W and a charge controller.

The longer the bat stays less than 100% charged the shorter the service life.

Solar is free , and DAILY!
FF, i was wondering if you would be able to show your solar panel set up.
possible with some photos showing the mounting etc.
thanks

Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:47 AM   #27
FF
Guru

Battery Question

I will post it , hopefully in a couple of weeks.

The Maineiacs that built the PH on LUCY used flat lumber , guess a band saw for a bit of camber would have taken higher skills.

Then the chopped a huge hole to R&R the engine, which was then boxed poorly.

So this winters task is a new PH roof , 2x as many overhead beams and a laminated covering.

AS Snowbirds the first item re mounted will be the solar panel as the boat sits sans a power hose for months.

photo will follow

-- Edited by FF on Thursday 17th of February 2011 05:48:12 AM
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:20 PM   #28
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

I have a highly related question. I have 2 GR27 Lifeline AGM house batts and had the same on my previous boat. As I recall on my last boat I could leave the boat for a month and when I'd return the batts would be at 12.75v or so but w the same batts in Willy they drop down to less than 12.6v in a few days. Don't seem to last very well at anchor as well. When we left the boat for winter work on the refit in the yard I told them what batts I wanted. When we came back in the spring I found they had got the new batts right away and they had been sitting on the shop floor all winter without charging. I suspect the batts were half ruined and I think their performance is half baked. I'm about ready to spring for 2 new batts but since it's a big sack of quarters I decided to pass it over the experts first. What think?
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:22 PM   #29
Grand Vizier

Eric, you might call Boat Electric in Seattle for a more expert opinion.* Depending on who you talk to, they can be well informed.* My understanding of AGM is that they can sit for quite a while without harm.* I can't find the spec now, but I think it is quite a few months.

AGMs are great, in my opinion, but seem to be more sensitive to charging variations.* Is is possible your current set haven't received optimum charging?
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:26 AM   #30
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Hi Del,
Thank you ...I forgot to ask about Boat Electric. I couldn't remember the name either. They are on Westlake are'nt they? I will call them tomorrow as I know they know all that stuff. That's one of the reasons I spent the bucks and got the AGMs in the first place but the main reason is their rep for doing deep discharge regularly. Must be spring down there as I remember the cheery blossoms on the UW campus on Valentines day. Snowing hard here this morning** ..very white and grey. I see there's still plenty of snow down south too. Thanks Carl.

Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote