Old 04-30-2014, 11:24 AM   #21
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
There you go, it took awhile.
If he is still using the original battery wires there should be no need to change them as they were already being used to handle starter loads before.

If he wants fuses between his starters and batteries, he just needs to add them.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:11 PM   #22
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Craig,
I did exactly what you want to do on a boat I had some years ago. I used big, fat, starter relays from Cole Hersey and as I recall the fuse clips fit right across the terminals of them eliminating the need for more connections, fuse blocks, and sources of problems. I took the actuating power from the starter solenoid output terminal (fused of course) so there was no additional load on the start key. Both fuse relays closed at once. As I recall I used old fashion household cartridge fuses in clips. I'm sure it didn't meet all the standards of today but it made me feel safe. The previous season I had pulled some people off a burning boat with an electrical fire and that's what got me thinking. They said they could do absolutely nothing but go upwind to the foredeck in the face of the smoke generated by whatever had shorted out.

Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:42 PM   #23

I certainly have many more projects on my must and wish list to want to take the time to rewire what exists and works. The existing wiring is working fine. Though I have never taken time to measure the voltage at the starter when cranking, they are obviously under no strain to crank the engines. I want to add fuses to protect the wiring and batteries from a dead short condition. Doing nothing more than adding the fuses would have the fuses caring the starter current. At 300 amps and slow-blo they would most likely do fine in warm temperatures. I am not so sure though if the temperature was near freezing and the engine oil is stiff they would survive. The starter solenoids would be wired in parallel to the fuse and close to jumper the fuse if and when the starter were engaged.

Brooksie: You got it exactly right what I had in mind. I am a little confused by how you wired it. Did you connect the coil wire of the battery solenoid to the high current output of the engine starter solenoid? If the starter solenoid were to stick engaged, the battery solenoid would never open to allow the fuse to do its thing? If I had a starter stick I would be scrambling for the battery switch to shut it off.
Capn Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:10 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I had similar concerns about being able to isolate the source of an electrical fire in the ER. When I recabled, I placed both switches fwd of the ER door at the port side of the steps. Now they lie behind the ER door when it's open. Now I can remove all power from the load side of the boat's start and house banks without needing to enter the ER.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:12 PM   #25
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Craig View Post
......... I want to add fuses to protect the wiring and batteries from a dead short condition. .........
Why not just secure the cables in a way that they cannot possibly short? You could encase them in separate sheaths or conduits. Quick cheap and effective.

Type ENT flexible conduit make a good and tough sheath.

http://www.carlonsales.com/flexplusblueent.php
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:48 PM   #26

City: Deltaville, VA
Vessel Name: Cork
Vessel Model: Halvorsen GC32
What if thruster and/or genny share batteries? Fuse them too?
Bill Ranson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:06 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Craig View Post
Brooksie: You got it exactly right what I had in mind. I am a little confused by how you wired it. Did you connect the coil wire of the battery solenoid to the high current output of the engine starter solenoid? If the starter solenoid were to stick engaged, the battery solenoid would never open to allow the fuse to do its thing? If I had a starter stick I would be scrambling for the battery switch to shut it off.
Yes, that was the way I wired it and your point is very well taken. At the time, I was concerned the keyswitch would not take the load of the solenoid and the two fuse relays. Also I felt I would use the slight delay in the starter solenoid to insure the fuse relays closed first. I suppose in hindsight I needed a heavier keyswitch, PB switch, or a small relay to trigger the other 3 devices.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:49 AM   #28
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ranson View Post
What if thruster and/or genny share batteries? Fuse them too?
The thruster circuit is to have circuit protection as per ABYC. All circuits except the starter circuit are to have circuit protection appropriate for the conductors. With a few exceptions the protection is to be located within seven inches of the source of power.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:29 PM   #29
Guru

craig, I am interested in this project and your insights, please keep me informed...
Old 05-01-2014, 05:17 PM   #30
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
There you go, it took awhile.
Or do both and have the best of both worlds.
Bill

Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote