Old 03-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #1
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Battery Diaper

I am in the middle of building a new battery tray. After 25 years of acid spills, the old one was rotted to the core. The space where my batteries live makes it impossible to see down into the cells to check water levels, so the best I can do is just to start filling until the cup runneth over. I know there are battery watering systems, but is there something like a diaper that I can use, either under or between them, to keep as much acid off the new project as possible?

Tom-

Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
Guru

RE: Battery Diaper

Try this site http://www.newpig.com/us/absorbent-p...at-pads-rolls/ . Go down to the acid absorbing/neutralizing mats close to the bottom of the page. They are expensive but you won't use too many. I'd also suggest filling with an automatic stop fill bottle like this. http://www.amazon.com/Plews-75-030-C.../dp/B000RFUF12 . I use one for 3 of my batteries that I can't see in.

Ken

2bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Guru

Tom, Aside from the problem that you are now dealing with, overfilled will also reduce the electrolytes and eventually shorten your battery life. You really should deal with the problem and either move the batteries, switch to Gel or AGMs or install a battery filing system that will maintain the proper levels. Chuck
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120

Quote:
Tom:* Filling wet cells to the top is not recommended by any battery manufacturer.** When batteries are liquid full*(no air space), there is no where for the hydrogen to go when you are charging*which then can force the electrolyte out through the caps.*
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
Guru

I understand, but TBH, I don't know how to avoid it short of a battery watering system. Here is a pic of where they are. Can't get above them to see the level.

P1000954a by GonzoF1, on Flickr
Old 03-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC

link
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #7
Guru

Nice! Thanks Al.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #8
Guru

Guess the link didn't work.
2bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Battery Diaper

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:
I am in the middle of building a new battery tray. After 25 years of acid spills, the old one was rotted to the core. The space where my batteries live makes it impossible to see down into the cells to check water levels, so the best I can do is just to start filling until the cup runneth over. I know there are battery watering systems, but is there something like a diaper that I can use, either under or between them, to keep as much acid off the new project as possible?

Tom-

Replacing your flooded cell batteries with AGM batteries will solve all your problems.* I too had a difficult time maintaining my flooded cell batteries.* Since replacing them with AGMs, my battery maintenance chores have gone away.

-- Edited by rwidman on Sunday 11th of March 2012 06:49:06 PM
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:22 PM   #10

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Selah
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 40

AGMs are wonderful but expensive initially. We installed some on a previous boat to replace gel-cells. When we replaced our 6 6V batteries this winter I added a watering system for exactly the same access problem and am very happy with the set-up.
We have a 4D generator start battery that I still have to service by hand, but I use a vinyl hose and squeeze bulb. I zip-tie the hose to an inspection mirror so that I can look down into the cell to see when it is full. This battery will get changed for a group 31 AGM when it expires.
av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #11

City: Pacific Northwest
Vessel Name: Jacari Maru
Vessel Model: 2014 Ranger Tug R-27

How about an inspection mirror? Tool departments and auto supply stores have mirrors on a swivel on the end of a handle.
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:41 AM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Ha ha....beat me to it Larry. I was about to post that where my batteries are it is impossible to see into them, but I found a cheap old circular car wing mirror with arm still attached worked well, however hard to argue with Capn Chucks comments about changing to sealed types when able, which is what I did in the end when the batts finally started to die - sure don't regret the change, even though not cheap...
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:43 AM   #13
FF
Guru

Can't get above them to see the level.

NAPA , or your local auto shop will sell you a mirror that swivels on a stick for under $10.

With a small led flashlight there should be no problem.

For best results in acid proof boxes look in any catalog , about $75 and just bolt them in USCG approved.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #14
Guru

Here is a simple and inexpensive option, http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Double...-p/55-8754.htm . Chuck
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:37 AM   #15
Guru

Battery Diaper

At $400+ for 6V AGM's versus $90 for golf cart batts, that is really off the table as an option. I just can't justify it. I just ordered Al's filler can, I'll rig a light above the bank with a mirror, and look at Ken's idea for acid pads (although they are pretty expensive too). A watering system will be cool, but I'll probably wait until I replace the batteries with new to add that.

Thanks y'all.

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Tuesday 13th of March 2012 05:38:20 AM
Old 03-13-2012, 06:19 AM   #16
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Battery Diaper

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:
At $400+ for 6V AGM's versus $90 for golf cart batts, that is really off the table as an option. I just can't justify it. I just ordered Al's filler can, I'll rig a light above the bank with a mirror, and look at Ken's idea for acid pads (although they are pretty expensive too). A watering system will be cool, but I'll probably wait until I replace the batteries with new to add that.

I*installed 6 volt golf cart batteries on my previous boat for a house bank so I understand what you're talking about.

There's no need to keep the 6 volt series battery system, it can be replaced by standard (AGM) 12 volt batteries with nothing more than some new cables and perhaps battery boxes or hold downs.

It's an option and it will allow you to use the more readily available 12 volt AGM batteries and forget the monthly maintenance, mirrors, filler jugs, etc.

-- Edited by rwidman on Tuesday 13th of March 2012 06:21:26 AM
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #17
FF
Guru

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/academic/.../11/11pg37.txt

www.hydrocapcorp.com/info.htm

Another way to need to water less on a hard charged battset.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #18
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Battery Diaper

Here's what I use with very good results.

http://www.solar-electric.com/ba****miscap.html

Well, our beloved profanity filter doesn't like the link so use the one below, but remove the 'space' between the t and the w

http://www.solar-electric.com/bat watmiscap.html

-- Edited by FlyWright on Tuesday 13th of March 2012 11:00:28 AM
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #19
chc

City: Essex, MD
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC

After 2 years of crawling 'n cursing while I snaked in behind my engines to service batteries, in the dark & by feel, I finally bit the bullet & installed AGM's. All I have to do now is service terminals & check connections once in a while. Worth every penny.
chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:41 PM   #20
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'

I went to all gels over 10 years ago but before that I was faced with a similar lousy installation, a shelf right over top of the batteries.
I cut holes in the shelf to gain access.

I used a garden pressure weed sprayer , a small flashlight and mirror so I got the level right. It was still awkward but it worked and no more mess or overfilling.

Those self levelling/stopping battery watering bottles work too. I used those at work on the forklifts to get the job done quickly without overfilling.

C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote