Old 11-27-2018, 06:24 AM   #1
FF
Guru

Battery De Sulfation devices?

As the Battery Monitor - SOC thread is interesting but sagging ,

I wonder what results folks have had with de-sulfation devices?

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:46 AM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: CT
snake oil

If any of them does actually do anything, hasn't turned up in any objective testing done by anyone I trust

Of course those who fell for the marketing will rave with anecdotes to support their choice to purchase.

At least do no harm.

john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:10 AM   #3
Guru

If your charger has this feature you can equalize your batteries
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:31 AM   #4
Scraping Paint

no, real equalizing is completely different from the OP's chargers marketed as "miracle technology!" "desulfating pulsing" chargers.

The essential element is a higher than usual voltage.

If a charger advertises an automatic conditioning / equalization feature, make sure it can be disabled, should always be done manually.

When specified by the batt mfg, **does** genuinely help longevity, but each has their own specific equalization protocol which should be followed precisely.

Best as a regularly scheduled maintenance routine, more frequently for more abusive PSOC scenarios, at least monthly, can be weekly. Ability to "magically resuscitate" a bank after long-term abuse is of course limited.

Ideally proper equalization is done from mains, each battery unit in the bank separately, using a power supply or charger that the user can adjust to a fully custom voltage

Lifeline is the only AGM mfg that still reco's equalizing, the others have lower-voltage "conditioning" routines.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:40 AM   #5
Scraping Paint

I believe all FLA deep cycle batts can / should be equalized.

Here's a good thread with details, Trojan FLA T-105 GCs example, but generally relevant just adapt to a different mfg' spec'd protocol

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...on-201841.html
Old 11-27-2018, 10:23 AM   #6
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23- outboard
My engineer's brain can understand equalization resolubilizing precipitated sulfate and improving battery life. But anything else like the pulsing chargers I don't understand how they work and suspect it is snake oil as noted above.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:03 AM   #7
Guru

I've had those pulsin' chargers on my two battery banks (six golf cart batts and two series 24 batts) for years and have found no difference at all. Four years and the batts are gone. Of course it could be because my battery charger is 32 years old and does not have all the bells and whistles.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:07 PM   #8
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Out of curiosity, I purchased one from the Lifeline distributor in my area who swore by them. I took it home and hooked it up, then measured it's characteristics using voltage and current probes on a recording oscilloscope. What it did was try to impose an AC ripple on the terminals, however the amplitude of both voltage and current was close to vanishingly small. I left it on and it seemed to do nothing for battery life, one way or another.

Snake oil. But if you have the money to spend, send it to me and I'll compose a mantra to repeat to your battery in a monotone. It will do just as much good.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:00 PM   #9
Scraping Paint

It is **possible** that one of the many dozens being flogged out there does **something** good,

but apparently they all ripple / pulse at **different** frequencies, so have fun long-term testing. . .