Battery conundrum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
Hi there,

Me-thinks our 'new to us' boat has some battery weirdnesses going on...

On a previous surveyors report it states the boat had a starting battery and 4 house batteries. The PO passed away about 5 years ago, and the person taking care of the boat put new batteries in last year.

I'm new to all this, but what I believe we have now is a large starting battery and 2 smaller starting batteries for the house batteries. Can you confirm this for me?

Photo #1 is a NAPA No. 4D-9, 6 cell, with 1050 CCA and 1280 CA.

Photo #2 is one of the two (where there is space for 4) and is a NO. 24M-5, with 550 CCA, and 650 CA.

Did the person taking care of the boat after the PO passed away inadvertently put two small starting batteries in where there used to be 4 house batteries?

Last edited:
More weirdness...here's the photo's;

Attachments

• large starting battery.jpg
    large starting battery.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 104
  • Small starting battery.jpg
    Small starting battery.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 108
More weirdness...here's the photo's;

Whether it was cheaping out, ignorance, or inadvertent it looks like you will need a new house bank. Starting batteries ain't gonna cut it.

Hi there,

Me-thinks our 'new to us' boat has some battery weirdnesses going on...

On a previous surveyors report it states the boat had a starting battery and 4 house batteries. The PO passed away about 5 years ago, and the person taking care of the boat put new batteries in last year.

I'm new to all this, but what I believe we have now is a large starting battery and 2 smaller starting batteries for the house batteries. Can you confirm this for me?

Photo #1 is a NAPA No. 4D-9, 6 cell, with 1050 CCA and 1280 CA.

Photo #2 is one of the two (where there is space for 4) and is a NO. 24M-5, with 550 CCA, and 650 CA.

Did the person taking care of the boat after the PO passed away inadvertently put two small starting batteries in where there used to be 4 house batteries?

From the Cold Canking Amps it soiund like photo 1 is a start battery and Photo 2, is a deep cycle.

Rule of thumb is that starting batteries will list CCA, and deep-cycle will list Amp-Hours.

Another tip would be the word "Starting" printed on the side of the battery in photo #2

A new house bank is in order. And think about using 6V golf cart batteries while you're at it. If you can fit get 6 of them in where the other 4 went you'd be WAY ahead of the game in total AH storage capacity. Even 4 might be better than the alternative 12V batteries.

MurrayM,

Sounds about right if the guy just "maintaining" the boat for awhile, though I probably would have just dropped in 1 of the cheapest 4D DD that I could find.

In any case, I suspect the whole electrically (DC anyway) needs to be looked at and evaluated; Start batteries and chargers, alternator(s) as well.

You will get Excellent advice here, starting with those Golf Cart batteries recommendation.

Best of luck to you.

Your little Yanmar doesn't need a 4D with that kind of starting amps. I'd use the 4D as a house battery and a group 24 for starting. One 4d ~ two 27s right now your starting battery is bigger than your house battery.

Besides. You're a kayaker. What do you need a house bank for anyways. I bet your boat has a lantern in it, doesn't it? Don't listen to the Florida guys with inverters and TVs and coffee makers and air conditioners and stereos and induction stove tops and ... :whistling:

Seriously though, I would calculate your actual amp-hour draw before I'd worry about it or spend any money on it. I would spend money on relamping with LEDs though.

...and ice makers. I forgot ice makers.

The boat oriinally had 4 x 6V golf carts in the box for the house set.
Photo two is a starting battery which will do a poor job of running the house, partly because they are the wrong type and you now have half the capacity that my outlaw installed.

If I remember right the boat also had a 2000W Heart inverter/charger so my outlaw could have his toast in the AM. Has the inverter gone the distance?

Northern spy has a point that for now, just carry on as is or swap the 4D into the house untill it shows signs of dieing. I'm not sure I'd bother swapping batteries as the 2-12V in parallel are likely about the same total capacity as the 4D in house use. You should be able to go to the NAPA store and get the 20 hrs rating if they offer one. They may not but if so then look at the 4D vs the 2-12 and see if I'm even close.
In the meantime check what you are using and expect to use for 120V off the inverter and then when the time comes get the golf carts.

The Led lights that are available these days are excellent compared to just a few years ago.. Just be sure you get the ones that are PWM [they have one or two small chips, some capacitors and other bits on the back] and usually state can be operated from 10V - 30V. They will maintain the same brightness as the battery voltage changes. The older ones that used only Vdrop resisters will vary brightness as battery voltage changes. The Vdrop types are still around and usually are cheaper for a reason. Get the warm white or ~ 3500K. I just changed a bunch on mine and they are NICE at 1/5 to 1/10 the draw of my old bulbs.

Last edited:
Wish I had the skills to copy photo 2, post 2.
He`s in the battery business now??!!

Besides. You're a kayaker. What do you need a house bank for anyways. I bet your boat has a lantern in it, doesn't it? Don't listen to the Florida guys with inverters and TVs and coffee makers and air conditioners and stereos and induction stove tops and ... :whistling:

Seriously though, I would calculate your actual amp-hour draw before I'd worry about it or spend any money on it. I would spend money on relamping with LEDs though.

Dang. Some peoples memories are just too good :mad:

Will be checking the LED's in Prince Rupert.

If I remember right the boat also had a 2000W Heart inverter/charger so my outlaw could have his toast in the AM. Has the inverter gone the distance?

One of the best things about this forum is having someone who knew Badger's original owner chime in once in a while :)

Yup, the Freedom 20 is still going, but it's one of the reasons I started this thread. It has been shutting down three seconds after turning it on, then flashes an indicator LED that says the batteries are low. The AC outlets will work for those three seconds, then stop.

We've been off shore power for a month now, and went for a couple hour spin over a week ago. I checked the electrolyte in the 4D cells yesterday, and everything was okay. Today I checked the batteries with a battery tester; the two small batteries checked out okay, and the 4D dropped quite a bit after holding a load.

We'll keep things as they are for now, put some miles under the hull, and see if the inverter will reset once the 4D has a full charge

Oh, and thanks for the LED tip :thumb:

Last edited:

I resemble those remarks!:eek:
If you don't have an ice maker, you are definitely kayaking.:whistling:

Most "marine" labeled batts are a combination of start and deep cycle.

They work OK for the usually dockside boater ,if he is really careful.

The problem is if you kill them , say down to 10% SOC, when recharged they have lost capacity ,,, forever.

AS an interim solution a SOC meter would keep the boat out of trouble, and should the batts be upgraded for future cruising the SOC meter will allow the longest batt life.

AS an interim solution a SOC meter would keep the boat out of trouble, and should the batts be upgraded for future cruising the SOC meter will allow the longest batt life.

Thanks, will do.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom