Old 05-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
Guru

Battery charger question

I got a new battery charger (3 banks). In the wiring diagram, they talk about an optional strap to link the batteries together. Not sure I understand the purpose of linking my battery banks together. Anyway, since it said optional, I didn't install the said strap. After about 30 minutes the charger started to make a really weird noise so I unplugged it. Wondering if it's because of that missing strap now.
Attached Thumbnails
photo.JPG  
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
The instructions are not very clear but I think they are talking about 24 and 36 volt systems with the straps in place. Are they talking about braided copper straps to hook the batteries in series to create higher voltage systems?
What make and madel of charger is that? What voltage is your system?
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:58 AM   #3
FF
Guru

The strap is OPTIONAL.

No problem with out it , if the charger is making "strange" noises , send it back.

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:55 AM   #4
Guru

Thanks FF, that's what I'm thinking too but I's still puzzled by those optional straps.

The charger is a Nautilus, a local chain store house brand. My system is 12v.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotoman View Post
Thanks FF, that's what I'm thinking too but I's still puzzled by those optional straps.

The charger is a Nautilus, a local chain store house brand. My system is 12v.
I selected a ProMariner charger when I had to replace mine. I had a question anout charging AGM batteries so I called the manufacturer's tech support number. The person who answered the call was able to answer my question to my satisfaction.

I suggest you do the same.

edit: At the end of the instructions where it says "Note", the strap they are talking about seems to be connections for connecting two or three batteries to provide 24 or 36 volts (usually for a trolling motor). You don't have those "straps" so you don't need to worry about them.

Don't install "straps". Assuming all your battery negative terminals are connected together, these "straps" as they call them would melt if you connected them as per the diagram.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Don't install "straps". Assuming all your battery negative terminals are connected together, these "straps" as they call them would melt if you connected them as per the diagram.
That's kinda what I thought. I hate it when they don't explain WHY something needs or doesn't need to be done in an instructions booklet.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotoman View Post
That's kinda what I thought. I hate it when they don't explain WHY something needs or doesn't need to be done in an instructions booklet.
It's a poor "wiring diagram" because it doesn't show the actual connections, jus cable with red and black wires.

I think the real problem is, you purchased a charger aimed at the trolling motor boat market where 12 volt batteries are often connected in series to provide 24 or 36 volts to the trolling motor.

The charger should work for your installation but I think you could make a better choice.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:17 AM   #8
FF
Guru

WE selected a 30A Pro mariner , and its great. It charges each batt individually .

In our case 2 12v batts are each charged as part of the 24v engine requirement , and each house batt (only have 2 ) is also individually charged.

AS it is more for the outboard set , where 24V is common for a trolling motor , it starts the charge at 15V to speed things up , but is modern and simply floats the batts when full.

Dania Flee Market , the best $5.00 find this year!

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:51 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
The charger should work for your installation but I think you could make a better choice.
well, I think you are right. I figured out the weird noise was caused by an improper setting on my part (didn't tell the charger I had only two batteries, so I guess it was trying to charge something on the third outlet). I set it up properly and it works fine BUT the darn thing is so noisy I can't stand it. So I decided to return it and I just ordered a Pro Mariner from Defender.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #10

City: St. Catharines
Vessel Name: Delia Rosa
Vessel Model: C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse
We have just found out that we need to replace three out of four batteries on our trawler and so have decided to replace the old charger at the same time.

The new batteries are 2 x 4D wet cells, 1 x 8D wet cell. We also have one 8D AGM battery.

I noticed that rwidman mentioned the ProMariner make... which model do you have? and can we mix the wet cell and AGM batteries with the same charger?

I know that Xantrex inverters have been panned by members.. what about the chargers?

Also, how do we figure out the amp output we need..
Delia Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #11
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delia Rosa View Post
We have just found out that we need to replace three out of four batteries on our trawler and so have decided to replace the old charger at the same time.

The new batteries are 2 x 4D wet cells, 1 x 8D wet cell. We also have one 8D AGM battery.

I noticed that rwidman mentioned the ProMariner make... which model do you have? and can we mix the wet cell and AGM batteries with the same charger?

I know that Xantrex inverters have been panned by members.. what about the chargers?

Also, how do we figure out the amp output we need..
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have had a Xantrex 40 amp charger for 6 or 7 years now and it hasn't failed me yet. It separately charges and monitors three battery banks at once. The Xantrex will do the three different battery types, but you shouldn't mix AGM's and wet cells on the same charger. In my experience, if you have a generator and don't rely on your battery's to "run everything in your world" with inverters while at anchor, the standard flooded batteries are just fine.

I check my batteries every 3 months and once a year add maybe a cup at most of water to each 4D, very trouble free with the Xantrex. Flooded batteries are 1/3 the cost and carry lots of amps. I just replaced my oldest battery bank this year and it was 11 years old and still going strong.

I originally had all 8D's but replaced them with 4D's which carry plenty of amperage and are easier to move in and out of the engine room and take up less space. You can most likely replace the two 8D's with 2 or 3 flooded 4D's in the same space and be just as happy. Standard Batteries are the batteries of choice. You can't argue with success!
IMHO
Larry B
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:17 AM   #12
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I like Newmar chargers. They are commercial chargers with American Bureau of Ships approval. Newmar also has the guy to answer your questions. His name is Kap Kaplan, call him or email him. kap@newmarpower.com
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:10 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delia Rosa View Post

I noticed that rwidman mentioned the ProMariner make... which model do you have? and can we mix the wet cell and AGM batteries with the same charger?..
I have this one:
Products :: Battery Chargers :: ProTech1240i Plus

You can mix AGM and flooded cell batteries as long as they are not in the same bank (that goes for general information, not just charging).

I had a flooded cell starting battery and AGMs for a house bank. Now they are all AGMs.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #14

City: St. Catharines
Vessel Name: Delia Rosa
Vessel Model: C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse
Thanks everyone for all the info!
Delia Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #15
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Quote:
I have this one:
Products :: Battery Chargers :: ProTech1240i Plus

You can mix AGM and flooded cell batteries as long as they are not in the same bank (that goes for general information, not just charging).

I had a flooded cell starting battery and AGMs for a house bank. Now they are all AGMs.

Thanks for the info.I was looking at this unit myself.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Block Island
Vessel Name: Galileo
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I like Newmar chargers. They are commercial chargers with American Bureau of Ships approval. Newmar also has the guy to answer your questions. His name is Kap Kaplan, call him or email him. kap@newmarpower.com
I also like Newmar chargers . I have one that has served my lobster boat for over 10 years without any probs.
I have a Charles charger on my MT , and I'm not too fond of it ...it makes alot of line noise that I pick up on my fm reciever ( yes I know all about line filters Psneed)
Bugmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:14 AM   #17
Guru

I returned the noisy charger and got a 3 bank ProMariner. Best decision ever. The thing doesn't make a sound!
Old 06-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #18

City: Hampstead,NC
Vessel Name: HoneyBadger
Vessel Model: 1990 Harkers Island Trawler Typical wooden hull with a Carolina flare and no deadrise at the stern
I use a Guest smart charger it works great have it mounted under the helm seat out of the elements and the leads are long enough to reach each battery, it charges each battery at a pre set voltage at so many amps then trickles down to nothing with the lights showig fully charged or charging.
honeybadger is offline   Reply With Quote