Old 12-31-2011, 09:04 PM   #41
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
RE: Battery Charger

thanks for the suggestions. *I have done all that including pulling the fuse between the charger and the house bank. *Still won't go into float. *It is charging at over 14 volts. *The batteries are AGMs so thay can take that. *I am just having to turn it off at the breaker when the batteries are showing full charge voltage. *

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:10 AM   #42
FF
Guru

"It is charging at over 14 volts. The batteries are AGMs so thay can take that."

I always heard overcharging was death to AGM as there is no way to add water.

???????

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:30 AM   #43
Guru

Quote:
FF wrote:
"It is charging at over 14 volts. The batteries are AGMs so thay can take that."

I always heard overcharging was death to AGM as there is no way to add water.

???????
*You are right. *There is no way to add water. *I have been turning the charger off manually when the batteries are charged. *Sill won't go into float mode, so I will see about getting it changed out today. *That's along with several other stops at the trim shop and canvas shop this morning. *Is this yachting, or what?
Old 01-02-2012, 09:36 AM   #44
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Is your Xantrex hooked into a Link type device? Mine is and at times the Link interferes with the charging cycle, I turn off charge on the Link and turn on charge on the Xantrex and all is well, for awhile. It always goes to float OK though.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #45
Guru

Quote:
sunchaser wrote:
Is your Xantrex hooked into a Link type device? Mine is and at times the Link interferes with the charging cycle, I turn off charge on the Link and turn on charge on the Xantrex and all is well, for awhile. It always goes to float OK though.
*No link type device. *We are going to load test the batteries to see if something is going on with them. *Has anyone used the Charles brand charger?
Old 01-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #46

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Isobel K
Vessel Model: 37' Custom Pilothouse

Have had Charles 30A and 50A chargers newer style. These worked well enough for flooded 8d's when we had them aboard.

Having switched to AGM's, also changed the charger to an IOTA 70A w/3stage for dockside charging.

I isolate the house bank normally at dockside after a full charge. Since AGM's do not self discharge very fast, I will run a float charge once or twice during the winter months for a few hours.

The IOTA works well as a power supply for 12v needs at the dock, even with the house bank isolated.
bshanafelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:53 PM   #47

City: Hampton Bays, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Grand Yankee
Vessel Model: 1981 49' Grand Banks Classic

Both Master-Volt and Pro Mariner are getting very good reviews. Xantrex has been getting heat because of warrenty problems. Seems they are not backing up product to well. Also the slower and with less Amps that you can recharge your Batts. the longer they will last. High amp charge rates shorten batts. life. I think AGMs need 14.8 VDC to take proper charge. Please check before you buy.
Ron T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #48
Guru

Well, maybe it is not the charger after all. *I talked with Lifeline the manufacturer of the batteries. *They said to do an equalization charge of 15.3 volts on all the batteries. *Did that, and gues what? *The charger is operating normally. *Everything is in float mode now.

Thanks for the input. *I did learn probably what charger to buy next. **