Old 03-11-2014, 09:04 AM   #1

City: Kingston
Battery charger

What size battery charger do I need for my 40' liveaboard trawler? I want to replace the old 50 amp battery boiler so that I don't fry our two new 8D batteries. Most lights are LEDs. Thanks for your input.

Leading Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:37 AM   #2

City: Miami
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leading Edge View Post
What size battery charger do I need for my 40' liveaboard trawler? I want to replace the old 50 amp battery boiler so that I don't fry our two new 8D batteries. Most lights are LEDs. Thanks for your input.
.1 x C for lead acid is the manufacturers charge rate. 8ds are 250@10 hrs. each, so 50 amps is perfect. If they are boiling it's not because of the charger. Sounds like an internal short in the plates.

Sent from my iPhone

Old 03-11-2014, 09:38 AM   #3
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
CHARLES 93-12505SP-A 5000 SERIES 12 VOLT 50 AMP AUTOMATIC 3 STAGE BATTERY CHARGER / POWER SUPPLY-www.boatandrvaccessories.com
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:33 AM   #4
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
I just had this 80amp newmar 3 stage charger installed. I've never had my 8d's so fully charged. This can charge up to 3 banks of batteries and I have two banks each for start batteries and I will have a 3rd for a house bank. 8d's are in series two per motor.

Here is more information on the three stage.
http://www.batterystuff.com/blog/3-s...-chargers.html
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:03 AM   #5
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
I saved a LOT of cash by using a "non-marine-grade" IOTA Engineering charger. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles (but DOES do float charge) and it only does one bank (like you) at a time, but I have been very happy with it. Got my 55A for less than $200. You can gang two together later if you need more or faster charging. I use a Balmar Duo Charge for the start battery.

http://www.iotaengineering.com/12vdc.htm
Old 03-11-2014, 11:43 AM   #6

City: nanoose bay
Vessel Name: Zimbra
Vessel Model: 36 Victorian
I installed a Sterling Power smart charger on my boat last year, it reviewed really well and is a good price, there made in England
Dean
dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:46 AM   #7
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Sterling chargers come highly recomended. We are installing a 40 AMP in the Tug. Comes with the temp sensor. We also added the remote panel. Charles are great, but pricey.

Sterling review and install how to that also covers sizing to the battery bank (50 AMP sounds right): Installing A Marine Battery Charger Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com

EDIT: ProNautic ProMariner line is built by Sterling - exact same chargers. I checked our paperwork and we actually have hte ProMariner version. It was a little less expensive than the Sterling, although the exact same charger.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #8

City: Hampton Bays, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Grand Yankee
Vessel Model: 1981 49' Grand Banks Classic
I have been vey happy with my MasterVolt, Holland made. If you have the time to call the major marine battery charger companies. Ask to speak with a tech-rep. Ask his advice. See if he really knows his product and how much time he gives you. If he/she is short with you, then you may judge how helpful they will be if you need help with the correct installation or problems later. I have seen a lot of owners mad at Xantrex with not backing up their product. Keep asking questions until you are completely happy with your well informed choice.
Ron T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron T View Post
I have seen a lot of owners mad at Xantrex with not backing up their product.
I have heard a lot of bad things about Xantrex. But in all fairness to them, when I had a problem with mine I called their customer relations, explained the problem, was immediately transferred to a tech support guy, and he was very helpful to me in solving the problem. So here is at least one positive report on them.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:30 PM   #10
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
I have heard a lot of bad things about Xantrex. But in all fairness to them, when I had a problem with mine I called their customer relations, explained the problem, was immediately transferred to a tech support guy, and he was very helpful to me in solving the problem. So here is at least one positive report on them.
When was that? Xantrex got their bad reputation a few years ago while under the ownership of some private equity group. Went to making stuff in China, non-serviceable throwaways and had really bad customer service which I experienced myself first hand (boat came with one of their high end XC chargers for the thruster bank) and second hand through others I trust. Schneider, a large French electrical conglomerate bought them about five years ago. It looks like they are beginning to transition to the Schneider brand and manufacturing. It will be interesting to see what experiences people have had with product bought in the last two years or so.

Charles and NewMar make top notch, highest quality products here in the US, and are US owned and great US customer service. Why buy something foreign? The suggestion above to call the supplier and talk with their service folks is a great idea. One thing to ask any of them is what happens when the unit breaks out of warranty.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:38 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
When was that?
Within the last year.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:56 PM   #12
FF
Guru

IF the charger is part of the on hook batt recharge system big is good.

If the boat is 95% dockside , and an alt charges the house underway a 15-20A charger would refill the batts as well as take care of the dockside loads.

Adjustable would allow you to lower the float voltage and use less water.

The desired TIME to recharge is the real question , and the answer is usually best with a Big Smart Alternator.

The unit is best if it can operate ALL the bilge pumps at one time , just incase.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:01 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Within the last year.
That bodes well! Now if they can quit making stuff in China, make it over here, and make it serviceable they could be a real contendah again. Some of their ideas are pretty cool, like the Freedom Sequence. Still, ain't 'Murricans though..

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 03-11-2014, 01:02 PM   #14
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Xantrex got their bad reputation a few years ago while under the ownership of some private equity group. Went to making stuff in China, non-serviceable throwaways and had really bad customer service
Unfortunately, repairing that kind of damage is a slow process. If, in fact, they can ever get a good reputation back. Most especially in the marine biz. Word gets around and then it's a long and expensive road back.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:48 PM   #15
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Hard to imagine me buying a Xantrex product again. Had three of their inverter chargers and they refused to service each of them.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #16
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
We've been just fine with our inverter/charger although we did have one hiccup.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:37 PM   #17
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
But in all fairness to them, when I had a problem with mine I called their customer relations, explained the problem, was immediately transferred to a tech support guy, and he was very helpful to me in solving the problem. So here is at least one positive report on them.
Yup!! I'll second that. For the price Xantrex is hard to beat. And it maintains all three battery banks perfectly. My flooded lead acid batteries last around 10 years and in total use less than 1/2 gallon water per year.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:54 PM   #18

City: nanoose bay
Vessel Name: Zimbra
Vessel Model: 36 Victorian
My Sterling Power is 30 amps it charges 3 banks and cost $404.00 with the remote.
Dean
dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:39 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
Yup!! I'll second that. For the price Xantrex is hard to beat. And it maintains all three battery banks perfectly. My flooded lead acid batteries last around 10 years and in total use less than 1/2 gallon water per year.
Wish I could say that about my Xantrex XC1524. My thruster/washdown pump bank, the only thing it charges, 2 8Ds, never make it past about three years, just past the mfr warranty. Get checked and watered in needed monthly. Maybe you don't use yours too much? That is very long life even for top of the line batteries. What kind of batteries do you have? What year was your charger made?

Old 03-12-2014, 07:15 AM   #20
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Near as I can tell from a quick "market survey" -- looks like one can either get a multi-bank charger (e.g., 3-bank) or a single-bank inverter/charger, but not both in the same product.

That sound about right?

-Chris