Battery Box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Propnut

Vessel Name
Voyager
Vessel Make
41' PT Europa
I’m going to install 8 wet cell Trojan golf cart batteries for my new house bank that will be located in the engine room. Should I put them in an enclosed plastic battery box, plastic open battery tray or build a open tray out of wood with dividers to keep the batteries separated? I see pictures of batteries just strapped on an open tray then others that are in a totally enclosed box. Any suggestions from the battery experts here ?
Thanks

All of the above would be fine. A lot depends on where you will be placing them. In an ER, would prefer a battery box with a cover. For 8 GC, maybe two 4 battery boxes. The advantage of a covered box in an ER is that you can safely use them to place tools, sit on etc... and not worry if something accidentally falls on the batteries. The flip side is that with covered boxes you need to remove the cover to check the water level.

I have been really happy with battery boxes made by Century Plastics.

IF you have a charging system that can hard charge the set, (200+A) a thermometer for the V regulator between the batts and an open top would reduce the heat load and water consumption.

Using FLA batteries, you need some type of acid resistant leak proof tray. If you go with a wood tray the inside needs to be fiberglassed or the electrolyte will go in the seams and ruin the wood.

Some of the other questions depend on where they will be installed. If they will be in an area with easy access and high traffic then a sturdy lid/platform is best. Difficult out of the way location then ease of access for installation, removal and service is better. Protect the terminals but do not interfere with access with covers unless there is risk of inadvertent contact.

If you are paying others to cable them then make sure they leave clearance for removing the caps. Amazing how often I find them pinned under cables. Also consider overcurrent protection and service disconnect location (see attached Blue Sea ABYC electrical excerpts). Both are important in case something goes wrong.

About overcurrent protection fusing the bank would be prudent even if it can be used for engine cranking. The potential energy on larger banks is very impressive. Typically, way more than necessary to start an engine so fusing provides protection in the event of a major short without interfering with engine starting.

Maybe there is more. A picture of where you want to mount them would be helpful to see if any of the surrounds might require consideration.

I’m going to install 8 wet cell Trojan golf cart batteries for my new house bank that will be located in the engine room. Should I put them in an enclosed plastic battery box, plastic open battery tray or build a open tray out of wood with dividers to keep the batteries separated? I see pictures of batteries just strapped on an open tray then others that are in a totally enclosed box. Any suggestions from the battery experts here ?
Thanks

Attachments

• Blue Sea ABYC electrical excerpts.pdf
    609.1 KB · Views: 34
There are a couple of recent battery threads, one about boxes specifically, and one about battery explosions. Read them and decide for yourself, they opened my eyes a bit.

Back
Top Bottom