Batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Will continue to run Mr. Genny anyway for coffee. Oh I use a 2KW true sinewave inverter for AC for most of the boat plus an old Heart 24v inverter/charger for the 24v bank.

Does that mean AC current, or air conditioning?

With all that power, why do you run the generator just to make coffee? Pretty sure I've seen 12VDC coffee makers. I do use an electric drip brewer at home, but propane at our off-grid cabin and in every RV morning I can recall.

We do pretty much the same -- start the genset for morning coffee -- at least 'til our inverter install finishes up. But that's also the same time we cook whatever (electric cooktop, toaster, microwave), charge the batteries, top off the temps of water in the heater, run the fridges on AC (current), etc. Repeat, for dinnertime, plus maybe cool the interior of the boat down a bit with AC (aircon) if necessary.

-Chris

We do pretty much the same -- start the genset for morning coffee -- at least 'til our inverter install finishes up. But that's also the same time we cook whatever (electric cooktop, toaster, microwave), charge the batteries, top off the temps of water in the heater, run the fridges on AC (current), etc. Repeat, for dinnertime, plus maybe cool the interior of the boat down a bit with AC (aircon) if necessary.

-Chris

Exactly! :dance:

Maybe I'm making too much out of running a generator. I certainly appreciate the value of easy coffee and a hot shower, and both are definitely worth whatever small amount of diesel required to make/heat them.

My perspective thus far has been Loop-centric and hence, I am thinking about being on the move more than at anchor. Among the universal advice however has been to avoid schedules and deadlines and spend more time absorbing rather than rushing through the experience.

We can definitely do that. And I can see that the slower the pace, the more one would rely on solar or wind or generator to charge batteries to supply a power-hungry life. This is a great forum. Thanks folks.

Does that mean AC current, or air conditioning?

-Chris

AC refers to electrical power.

AC refers to electrical power.

Thanks for confirmation. Just starting an inverter install (2KW, PSW) and thought useful to confirm you're not running aircon with yours. (We're not planning to.)

-Chris

Maybe I'm making too much out of running a generator. I certainly appreciate the value of easy coffee and a hot shower, and both are definitely worth whatever small amount of diesel required to make/heat them.

I figure 1/2-gallon per hour, so two hours each, morning and evening, 2 gallons diesel per day. Cheap.

Hottest summer months (like now) we also run the genset while underway -- for the air cons, and the cat really appreciates it -- equally cheap, given the return value in term of comfort.

-Chris

I figure 1/2-gallon per hour, so two hours each, morning and evening, 2 gallons diesel per day. Cheap.

Perspective is everything. I am hoping to average around 1.5 gph running the loop. At that rate, adding ½ gph would be a 33% increase. I also hope to avoid air conditioning much of the time by staying in "springtime" latitudes most of the Loop, so maybe a half gallon of diesel would only be once or twice a day. Certainly my morning coffee is worth that.

That said, I'm guessing I'll be a solar boat owner. I've avoided solar at our off grid cabin by taking a portable battery system with me to power lights. We use propane to cook and brew and wood to heat. Cooling is courtesy of Mother Nature.

We haven't found the need to add the cost, complexity and theft attraction that accompanies solar when charging on the grid at home is so easy. Not the case when there is no home for a year.

As a noob and non-owner (yet), are solar and propane not viable alternatives to generator running for making coffee and heating shower water?

Thanks for confirmation. Just starting an inverter install (2KW, PSW) and thought useful to confirm you're not running aircon with yours. (We're not planning to.)

-Chris

I purchased my inverter from EBay and I want to alert you of a potential problem if your's is purchased there. Many of the inexpensive inverters are sold for vehicle applications. That in itself is fine. If you do purchase one designed for vehicles, be careful to isolate the AC return from your dock power's AC return. Not doing so creates an electrical short on the inverter's output.

The easy way I did mine was to use a 2 pole double throw relay. The relay energized by dock/genny power. The dual relay poles that power the loads are connected to the dock/genny power while the relay is energized and when not energized they are connected to the inverter's output.

Perspective is everything. I am hoping to average around 1.5 gph running the loop. At that rate, adding ½ gph would be a 33% increase. I also hope to avoid air conditioning much of the time by staying in "springtime" latitudes most of the Loop, so maybe a half gallon of diesel would only be once or twice a day. Certainly my morning coffee is worth that.

That said, I'm guessing I'll be a solar boat owner. I've avoided solar at our off grid cabin by taking a portable battery system with me to power lights. We use propane to cook and brew and wood to heat. Cooling is courtesy of Mother Nature.

We haven't found the need to add the cost, complexity and theft attraction that accompanies solar when charging on the grid at home is so easy. Not the case when there is no home for a year.

As a noob and non-owner (yet), are solar and propane not viable alternatives to generator running for making coffee and heating shower water?

A generator does have advantages but with gas, those advantages are limited. You should be able to do fine with just solar. I suggest you consider a solar regulator that provides battery equalization features. Mine is a MorningStar 30 ampere something or other. It periodically enters the equalization phase as I can tell when the battery voltage meter reads 15 volts for a short time.

My flooded cell batteries need distilled water only once a year and not much at all. All are over 5 years old and test high in the green with my hydrometer.

Can't speak to solar, but I've seen many threads about keeping batteries topped off that way... and an inverter of appropriate size oughta deal with brew. Not sure about the water heater, especially for start-up loads with a tank full of cold water.

Propane is quite common, and there's even the alternative of using a percolator on a propane grill in the cockpit or wherever. We've done that, but only when we've already had the grill outside and mounted and intended to use for cooking other stuff for a weekend or more. Otherwise, genset/electric coffee maker is go-to.

I think propane is not commonly available at fuel docks; at least I've never seen it... probably not an insurmountable problem... but that's one reason we chose to not buy a Lehr propane outboard for the dinghy.

-Chris

I purchased my inverter from EBay and I want to alert you of a potential problem if your's is purchased there. Many of the inexpensive inverters are sold for vehicle applications.

Thanks for heads-up. Not to worry, marine unit, pure sine wave inverter/charger.

Just got the unit itself mounted, now working on DC wiring and fuse. Not me doing it; local marine electrician.... and I'm just "helper" (gopher) when useful.

-Chris

HTT, unless you plan on staying at anchor for long periods of time, I do not think solar or wind makes much sense. Solar and wind equipment is expensive and tedious. It only makes sense if you can and want to take advantage of it. Otherwise, if you are on the move on a regular basis, you can charge batteries with main engine and do any heavy charging with the generator.

And I challenge you to try a 12v coffee maker. It will drive you to the looney bin!!!! IOW, they do not work well....unless you like to wait 45 minutes for a semi cool cup of joe!!!

And I challenge you to try a 12v coffee maker. It will drive you to the looney bin!!!! IOW, they do not work well....unless you like to wait 45 minutes for a semi cool cup of joe!!!

Thanks Baker. A 45 minute cup of luke warm joe will definitely not do! Most coffee at our off-grid cabin is pour through drip with water heated on a propane stove, although we occasionally get fancy and use a press pot.

I just purchased and installed the Balmar Smart Gauge. We will see how well it works.

We installed one over the winter and are very happy with it. I put it on the teak overhead in the pilothouse. Couldn't bring myself to cut the large hole to install, so have it mounted with industrial strength double sided tape (just a small drill hole behind it for the wires.

As for battery use, for us it is almost entirely the fridge. We do sometimes run Camfro fans (installed two in the pilot house, one of which can be turned to ciruclate air to the berth), plus water usage and led lights (changed everything to led first year we had the boat), but pretty much everything else is run on the genny. 24 hours bill bring our bank of 4 GC batteries down to around 60-70%. However, we run the genny every morning for coffe and making breakfast, and also in the evening to cook and, if necessary, run the AC for a few hours before bed. Charger is on if the genny is on, and we are usually able to bring the house bank back to 80% during this short time. I hate running the genny while sleeping, not becuause of CO, but becuase we've had the strainer clog several times leading to a shut down and destroying the impeller in the process.

We also have the Sterling/ProMariner charger mentioned in another post and have been very happy.

Hottest summer months (like now) we also run the genset while underway -- for the air cons, and the cat really appreciates it -- equally cheap, given the return value in term of comfort.

-Chris

By cat you mean your pet and not your engine?

Back
Top Bottom