Old 08-01-2016, 12:56 PM   #41
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
I purchased my inverter from EBay and I want to alert you of a potential problem if your's is purchased there. Many of the inexpensive inverters are sold for vehicle applications.

Thanks for heads-up. Not to worry, marine unit, pure sine wave inverter/charger.

Just got the unit itself mounted, now working on DC wiring and fuse. Not me doing it; local marine electrician.... and I'm just "helper" (gopher) when useful.

-Chris

Old 08-01-2016, 01:37 PM   #42
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
HTT, unless you plan on staying at anchor for long periods of time, I do not think solar or wind makes much sense. Solar and wind equipment is expensive and tedious. It only makes sense if you can and want to take advantage of it. Otherwise, if you are on the move on a regular basis, you can charge batteries with main engine and do any heavy charging with the generator.

And I challenge you to try a 12v coffee maker. It will drive you to the looney bin!!!! IOW, they do not work well....unless you like to wait 45 minutes for a semi cool cup of joe!!!

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:44 PM   #43

City: North of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
And I challenge you to try a 12v coffee maker. It will drive you to the looney bin!!!! IOW, they do not work well....unless you like to wait 45 minutes for a semi cool cup of joe!!!
Thanks Baker. A 45 minute cup of luke warm joe will definitely not do! Most coffee at our off-grid cabin is pour through drip with water heated on a propane stove, although we occasionally get fancy and use a press pot.
HeadedToTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:26 PM   #44
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
I just purchased and installed the Balmar Smart Gauge. We will see how well it works.
We installed one over the winter and are very happy with it. I put it on the teak overhead in the pilothouse. Couldn't bring myself to cut the large hole to install, so have it mounted with industrial strength double sided tape (just a small drill hole behind it for the wires.

As for battery use, for us it is almost entirely the fridge. We do sometimes run Camfro fans (installed two in the pilot house, one of which can be turned to ciruclate air to the berth), plus water usage and led lights (changed everything to led first year we had the boat), but pretty much everything else is run on the genny. 24 hours bill bring our bank of 4 GC batteries down to around 60-70%. However, we run the genny every morning for coffe and making breakfast, and also in the evening to cook and, if necessary, run the AC for a few hours before bed. Charger is on if the genny is on, and we are usually able to bring the house bank back to 80% during this short time. I hate running the genny while sleeping, not becuause of CO, but becuase we've had the strainer clog several times leading to a shut down and destroying the impeller in the process.

We also have the Sterling/ProMariner charger mentioned in another post and have been very happy.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:52 PM   #45
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I figure 1/2-gallon per hour, so two hours each, morning and evening, 2 gallons diesel per day. Cheap.

Hottest summer months (like now) we also run the genset while underway -- for the air cons, and the cat really appreciates it -- equally cheap, given the return value in term of comfort.

-Chris

By cat you mean your pet and not your engine?
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:37 AM   #46
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
By cat you mean your pet and not your engine?

Yep.

Or maybe I'm her pet

-Chris