Batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you have room for L16 size? I replaced my 8Ds with L16s because they are easier to move (less weight per battery) and more amp hours (taller). LA or AGM either way.

Do you have room for L16 size? I replaced my 8Ds with L16s because they are easier to move (less weight per battery) and more amp hours (taller). LA or AGM either way.
No all off our battery boxes are setup for 8D's.

L16's fit in 8D boxes if they do not have tops on the boxes or there is room to raise it.

L16's fit in 8D boxes if they do not have tops on the boxes or there is room to raise it.
Thats the problem there's no heighth above them.

Attachments

• image-1794236492.jpg
    image-1794236492.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 101
Battery madness!

Attachments

• image-3457702445.jpg
    image-3457702445.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 88
My back hurts just looking at that picture! Who was it that decided 150 pound batteries were a good idea on boats? I think we should hunt him down and kick his ...

It's hard to get the big picture of that space from the pic. Is there some way to rig a lifting device to the overhead? Perhaps fabricate a sliding tray of some sort? Marine consignment stores are loaded with all sorts of blow-boat contraptions to add mechanical advantage. you just need something to take some of the weight so you can readjust your own body mechanics to guide them into place. I plan to made a large, and quite heavy duty, battery tray the next time I have my batteries out to not only aid in installation, but to make it far easier to check the water.

It's hard to get the big picture of that space from the pic. Is there some way to rig a lifting device to the overhead? Perhaps fabricate a sliding tray of some sort? Marine consignment stores are loaded with all sorts of blow-boat contraptions to add mechanical advantage. you just need something to take some of the weight so you can readjust your own body mechanics to guide them into place. I plan to made a large, and quite heavy duty, battery tray the next time I have my batteries out to not only aid in installation, but to make it far easier to check the water.
We used the davit to lift them from the dock to the lazzerette. It definetly saved backs, hopefully we won't need batteries for another 8-10 years. ;)

I have a 2 foot long piece of 1/4 aluminum, about 4" wide, that worked as an excellent pry to lift up the side of my batteries, then the batteries slide beautifully on the bar so they do not have to be lifted but slide with not too much resistance on the aluminum. For batteries, it is as slippery as star-board. Slid them right on to a hand cart. Depending if they are in boxes, or not.

I just bought 3 235amps D8 and 6 6 volts, 235amps Deep Cycle. I hope too, in the next 2 years din't need to buy

I just bought 3 235amps D8 and 6 6 volts, 235amps Deep Cycle. I hope too, in the next 2 years din't need to buy
Yeah hopefully, the AGM are supposed last for a long time.

Yeah hopefully, the AGM are supposed last for a long time.

The life you get out of your batteries is mostly based on duty cycles. If you are out using your batteries, duty cycles/depth of discharge will determine how long they are going to last. I think AGMs are rated for about 1000 cycles at 50% discharge. If the batteries are in the engine room, heat also reduces their life.

Larry, must I conect my windlass in the deep cycle bank or in the generator 8D?

Larry, must I conect my windlass in the deep cycle bank or in the generator 8D?

On Hobo the generator and engine batteries are just for those applications only; starting and running gauges for each. The windlass is powered off the house bank.

Wow. That's a big battery for the generator. Just an observation. :)

I made a mistake and bought a 8D for the house bank. after I bought 6 of 6 volts deep cycle and put to service. Thats why I have an 8D to the generator. Its a spare one.

Here's some more pics. The one picture was at our shop unloading, and the other is How we loaded and unloaded them onto the boat, we just moved the boat close to the dock used the crane to pick them off the dock then lowered into place on the lazzerette floor where they slid in to their places with a combination of cardboard and closed cel pvc.

Attachments

• image-2454188294.jpg
    image-2454188294.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 110
  • image-1008775962.jpg
    image-1008775962.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
too heavy, just the pictures, has over 4 pounds

I'm going to go lie on a heating pad after looking at those pictures.

I'm going to go lie on a heating pad after looking at those pictures.
I had the easy job, but the two guys that lifted the actual batteries into place didn't seem to be affected, they never complained. None were major muscles either.

It really takes two guys to safely handle a 150 pound battery. What do you guys think of a 1/2 8D battery? It would be about 75 pounds and two of them put together would be the same dimensions as an 8D. It would come with pre-made connectors to link two of them into one battery. You would lose a little capacity compared to a full size 8D because of the extra end wall. At 75 pounds, one man could safely handle it.

It really takes two guys to safely handle a 150 pound battery. What do you guys think of a 1/2 8D battery? It would be about 75 pounds and two of them put together would be the same dimensions as an 8D. It would come with pre-made connectors to link two of them into one battery. You would lose a little capacity compared to a full size 8D because of the extra end wall. At 75 pounds, one man could safely handle it.

I just replace a 168# 8D with a 95# 4D. It can be handle by on person in good health:). The 4D is plenty for normal weather starting.

I think were going stay with 8D's because it's not like we change them every two years. And we like having a nice big bank. :)

Dave, a good deep cycle 4D battery usually runs about 125 pounds, still heavier than I want to lift. They are also about 20% less amp hour capacity than an 8D.

Oliver, In your case where there is a crane and access for two men, there is no reason for the 1/2 8D. There are a lot of boats where the batteries need to be carried aboard by hand and put into the battery box by one man. A friend of mine had to replace his Lifeline 8D batteries on his big Buddy Davis. The boat was in the Bahamas and he had to fly them over in his airplane. He is seventy something years old and had to load them into the plane without help. When he got them to the boat, he hired a BIG local to put them in the boxes. 1/2 8Ds would have made his project a lot easier.

Two 6V golf cart batteries give you about the same 220 AH at 12V as an 8D battery gives you, but at 2/3 the footprint. Each GC weighs about 65 lbs. Each 8D box can fit 3 GC batts, so it you have 2 8D boxes, you can fit 6 GC batts and increase your bank size 50%.

I don't see the advantage of a split 8D unless vertical clearance is an issue. The GC batts stand about an inch (+/-) taller than an 8D.

Edit: My research was for lead acid batteries, not AGM.

Last edited:
Two 6V golf cart batteries give you about the same 220 AH at 12V as an 8D battery gives you, but at 2/3 the footprint. Each GC weighs about 65 lbs. Each 8D box can fit 3 GC batts, so it you have 2 8D boxes, you can fit 6 GC batts and increase your bank size 50%. I don't see the advantage of a split 8D unless vertical clearance is an issue. The GC batts stand about an inch (+/-) taller than an 8D. Edit: My research was for lead acid batteries, not AGM.
Also that's a lot of batteries to tend to, more then our liking. AGM is perfect because you don't have to fill them, and they don't give off gasses.

The 8d give more cranck ACC, to start the motor, the golf batteries are very good to the house bank

Al, the 6V GC batteries are interesting. If the box is tight you could only get two into the box and you loose a little capacity and waste some space. If the box has about 5/8" extra length you could get three into it and gain a lot of capacity. You also need a little more height. If you've got a little extra room, this sounds like a great option. I think the wiring would be a little complicated. How would you do it? Two in parallel and the third in series with the first two?

If like me, you've got 4D batteries, two GC batteries are also a great option. Length and width are fine, you need an extra 7/8" of height. My batteries are mounted on their side so width becomes height and height becomes width. I've got the room. Next time I replace my batteries I think I'll try it.

The dimensions I've been using came from East Penn Deka batteries, Intimidator AGMs. Here is a link to the chart: http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/base/1740Intimidatordeepcycle.pdf

Al, the 6V GC batteries are interesting. If the box is tight you could only get two into the box and you loose a little capacity and waste some space. If the box has about 5/8" extra length you could get three into it and gain a lot of capacity. You also need a little more height. If you've got a little extra room, this sounds like a great option. I think the wiring would be a little complicated. How would you do it? Two in parallel and the third in series with the first two? If like me, you've got 4D batteries, two GC batteries are also a great option. Length and width are fine, you need an extra 7/8" of height. My batteries are mounted on their side so width becomes height and height becomes width. I've got the room. Next time I replace my batteries I think I'll try it. The dimensions I've been using came from East Penn Deka batteries, Intimidator AGMs. Here is a link to the chart: http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/base/1740Intimidatordeepcycle.pdf
Deka's are manufactured right here in Fort Lauderdale.

Back
Top Bottom