Old 12-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #41
Guru

City: Fort Myers - FL
Vessel Name: ORIGINAL
Vessel Model: Hi Star 55
I just bought 3 235amps D8 and 6 6 volts, 235amps Deep Cycle. I hope too, in the next 2 years din't need to buy

Alemao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #42
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alemao View Post
I just bought 3 235amps D8 and 6 6 volts, 235amps Deep Cycle. I hope too, in the next 2 years din't need to buy
Yeah hopefully, the AGM are supposed last for a long time.

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #43
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Yeah hopefully, the AGM are supposed last for a long time.
The life you get out of your batteries is mostly based on duty cycles. If you are out using your batteries, duty cycles/depth of discharge will determine how long they are going to last. I think AGMs are rated for about 1000 cycles at 50% discharge. If the batteries are in the engine room, heat also reduces their life.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #44
Guru

Larry, must I conect my windlass in the deep cycle bank or in the generator 8D?
Old 12-30-2013, 04:09 PM   #45
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Larry, must I conect my windlass in the deep cycle bank or in the generator 8D?

On Hobo the generator and engine batteries are just for those applications only; starting and running gauges for each. The windlass is powered off the house bank.

Wow. That's a big battery for the generator. Just an observation.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #46
Guru

I made a mistake and bought a 8D for the house bank. after I bought 6 of 6 volts deep cycle and put to service. Thats why I have an 8D to the generator. Its a spare one.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:33 PM   #47
Guru

Here's some more pics. The one picture was at our shop unloading, and the other is How we loaded and unloaded them onto the boat, we just moved the boat close to the dock used the crane to pick them off the dock then lowered into place on the lazzerette floor where they slid in to their places with a combination of cardboard and closed cel pvc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2454188294.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	26275   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1008775962.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	26276  
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 12-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #48
Guru

too heavy, just the pictures, has over 4 pounds
Old 12-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #49
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I'm going to go lie on a heating pad after looking at those pictures.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:07 PM   #50
Guru

Quote:
too heavy, just the pictures, has over 4 pounds
All together, old and new batteries weighed 3140lbs!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 12-30-2013, 11:09 PM   #51
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I'm going to go lie on a heating pad after looking at those pictures.
I had the easy job, but the two guys that lifted the actual batteries into place didn't seem to be affected, they never complained. None were major muscles either.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 12-31-2013, 11:14 AM   #52
Guru

It really takes two guys to safely handle a 150 pound battery. What do you guys think of a 1/2 8D battery? It would be about 75 pounds and two of them put together would be the same dimensions as an 8D. It would come with pre-made connectors to link two of them into one battery. You would lose a little capacity compared to a full size 8D because of the extra end wall. At 75 pounds, one man could safely handle it.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:20 AM   #53
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
Quote:
It really takes two guys to safely handle a 150 pound battery. What do you guys think of a 1/2 8D battery? It would be about 75 pounds and two of them put together would be the same dimensions as an 8D. It would come with pre-made connectors to link two of them into one battery. You would lose a little capacity compared to a full size 8D because of the extra end wall. At 75 pounds, one man could safely handle it.
I just replace a 168# 8D with a 95# 4D. It can be handle by on person in good health. The 4D is plenty for normal weather starting.
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #54
Guru

Quote:
I think were going stay with 8D's because it's not like we change them every two years. And we like having a nice big bank.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 12-31-2013, 12:17 PM   #55
Guru

Dave, a good deep cycle 4D battery usually runs about 125 pounds, still heavier than I want to lift. They are also about 20% less amp hour capacity than an 8D.

Oliver, In your case where there is a crane and access for two men, there is no reason for the 1/2 8D. There are a lot of boats where the batteries need to be carried aboard by hand and put into the battery box by one man. A friend of mine had to replace his Lifeline 8D batteries on his big Buddy Davis. The boat was in the Bahamas and he had to fly them over in his airplane. He is seventy something years old and had to load them into the plane without help. When he got them to the boat, he hired a BIG local to put them in the boxes. 1/2 8Ds would have made his project a lot easier.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:35 PM   #56
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Two 6V golf cart batteries give you about the same 220 AH at 12V as an 8D battery gives you, but at 2/3 the footprint. Each GC weighs about 65 lbs. Each 8D box can fit 3 GC batts, so it you have 2 8D boxes, you can fit 6 GC batts and increase your bank size 50%.

I don't see the advantage of a split 8D unless vertical clearance is an issue. The GC batts stand about an inch (+/-) taller than an 8D.

Edit: My research was for lead acid batteries, not AGM.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:45 PM   #57
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Two 6V golf cart batteries give you about the same 220 AH at 12V as an 8D battery gives you, but at 2/3 the footprint. Each GC weighs about 65 lbs. Each 8D box can fit 3 GC batts, so it you have 2 8D boxes, you can fit 6 GC batts and increase your bank size 50%. I don't see the advantage of a split 8D unless vertical clearance is an issue. The GC batts stand about an inch (+/-) taller than an 8D. Edit: My research was for lead acid batteries, not AGM.
Also that's a lot of batteries to tend to, more then our liking. AGM is perfect because you don't have to fill them, and they don't give off gasses.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 12-31-2013, 03:55 PM   #58
Guru

The 8d give more cranck ACC, to start the motor, the golf batteries are very good to the house bank
Old 12-31-2013, 08:25 PM   #59
Guru

Al, the 6V GC batteries are interesting. If the box is tight you could only get two into the box and you loose a little capacity and waste some space. If the box has about 5/8" extra length you could get three into it and gain a lot of capacity. You also need a little more height. If you've got a little extra room, this sounds like a great option. I think the wiring would be a little complicated. How would you do it? Two in parallel and the third in series with the first two?

If like me, you've got 4D batteries, two GC batteries are also a great option. Length and width are fine, you need an extra 7/8" of height. My batteries are mounted on their side so width becomes height and height becomes width. I've got the room. Next time I replace my batteries I think I'll try it.

The dimensions I've been using came from East Penn Deka batteries, Intimidator AGMs. Here is a link to the chart: http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/...rdeepcycle.pdf
Old 12-31-2013, 08:32 PM   #60
Guru

Quote:
Al, the 6V GC batteries are interesting. If the box is tight you could only get two into the box and you loose a little capacity and waste some space. If the box has about 5/8" extra length you could get three into it and gain a lot of capacity. You also need a little more height. If you've got a little extra room, this sounds like a great option. I think the wiring would be a little complicated. How would you do it? Two in parallel and the third in series with the first two? If like me, you've got 4D batteries, two GC batteries are also a great option. Length and width are fine, you need an extra 7/8" of height. My batteries are mounted on their side so width becomes height and height becomes width. I've got the room. Next time I replace my batteries I think I'll try it. The dimensions I've been using came from East Penn Deka batteries, Intimidator AGMs. Here is a link to the chart: http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/...rdeepcycle.pdf
Deka's are manufactured right here in Fort Lauderdale.

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12