Batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No
The error was the load side cables are both on the one side of the bank. According to some research I did this arrangement will unevenly load the batteries. The two batterie that the Pos and neg load cables are connected to will see the highest amp draw while the amp draw will get progressively lower as you get farther away.

I will be changing the positive load cable to the opposite end of the bank that the neg is connected to.

That's what i said back in #52.

It's my understanding that you want the power leads to come off opposite ends of the bank. It's supposed to make a difference, but I wonder how much.

Ted

Golf carts are a major user of deep cycle batteries. Economy of scale allows a somewhat lower price for the 6 volt then the equivalent 12 volt battery in deep cycle.

Also many boaters are no longer as young as they use to be and the lighter weight of the 6 volt batteries allows us to move them when necessary.

Marty

...and many of us had 2-3 12V 8D battery boxes on our boats. The footprint of 3 GCs matches that of a single 8D. Addi 6 GCs in place of 2 8Ds and you have a 50% increase in AH capacity at little if any cost increase.

fryedaze, will you post a photo of the correct way when you get it done? This has been very helpful to me as I am about to do the same thing in our boat.

fryedaze, will you post a photo of the correct way when you get it done? This has been very helpful to me as I am about to do the same thing in our boat.

Here is what will change

Attachments

• Battery.jpg
    Battery.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 143
  • BattereiswiredinSeriesParallel1.jpg
    BattereiswiredinSeriesParallel1.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 443
Reactions: Art
I thought this was interesting. These are battery "brands" and their associated manufacturers. Please realize this is straight off of the internet so the source is questionable. But probably close to the truth of not dead on.....

Sears- Diehard: Lead Acid- Johnson Controls, Platinum AGM- Odyssey, Gold Advanced AGM- Eastern- Penn.
Interstate- Johnson Controls.
Walmart Everstart- Johnson Controls (Exide Contract Cancelled).
Autozone Duralast- Lead Acid- Johnson Controls, AGM- East-Penn.
Pep Boys (including Bosch)- As of Aug 2012 Exide
Napa- Lead Acid- Johnson Controls; AGM- East-Penn.
Optima- Johnson Controls.
Varta AGM- Fall 2012- Johnson Controls in a new US plant.
Costco-Johnson Controls.
Northstar- Northstar and also distributed by Batteries Plus as the X2Power and Exide under the Northstar label.
Duracell- East Penn (Deka)
Rayovac (Batteries Plus)- Lead Acid- Johnson Controls; AGM- East Penn (Deka)
Deka- East Penn

I have had very good luck with trojan T125 batteries. I chose them over the T105 and cost is minimal more. I have six of them as house batteries. My problem is charging them on anchor. I only have a 40 Amp charger.

I have had very good luck with trojan T125 batteries. I chose them over the T105 and cost is minimal more. I have six of them as house batteries. My problem is charging them on anchor. I only have a 40 Amp charger.
I just swapped out four T105s for 8 Crown CR235. The new bank is 940 amp-hrs and I have the same issue with charging at anchor. My charger is also 40 amps. The 80 and 100 amp chrgers are pretty pricey.

I just took a chance this weekend on some 6 volt golf carts for my house bank. I bought them at advance auto parts. They had been on the shelf for 11 months. They dropped the price to $50.00 each .I think retail price was around $ 115.00 .I guess time will tell . I only needed 4 they had 6.They would only give me 90 day warranty.

I just took a chance this weekend on some 6 volt golf carts for my house bank. I bought them at advance auto parts. They had been on the shelf for 11 months. They dropped the price to $50.00 each .I think retail price was around $ 115.00 .I guess time will tell . I only needed 4 they had 6.They would only give me 90 day warranty.

You can't go wrong with that deal. You probably know, charge them well before using them. I don't think you'll have a problem with them as long as the acid is above the plates.

Trojan T-125

Here is specs on them. I also heard Crown is better now. I'll look at them before I buy. My real problem is a large charger and it looks like the combo inverter/chargers is the best value.

I thought this was interesting. These are battery "brands" and their associated manufacturers. Please realize this is straight off of the internet so the source is questionable. But probably close to the truth of not dead on.....

Sears- Diehard: Lead Acid- Johnson Controls, Platinum AGM- Odyssey, Gold Advanced AGM- Eastern- Penn.
Interstate- Johnson Controls.
Walmart Everstart- Johnson Controls (Exide Contract Cancelled).
Autozone Duralast- Lead Acid- Johnson Controls, AGM- East-Penn.
Pep Boys (including Bosch)- As of Aug 2012 Exide
Napa- Lead Acid- Johnson Controls; AGM- East-Penn.
Optima- Johnson Controls.
Varta AGM- Fall 2012- Johnson Controls in a new US plant.
Costco-Johnson Controls.
Northstar- Northstar and also distributed by Batteries Plus as the X2Power and Exide under the Northstar label.
Duracell- East Penn (Deka)
Rayovac (Batteries Plus)- Lead Acid- Johnson Controls; AGM- East Penn (Deka)
Deka- East Penn

Notice that "East Penn" (EP) battery manufacturer is listed six times. As I understand it, via our local Batteries Plus (BP) franchise owner... EP manufactures the majority of starter and deep cell batteries for BP Company (currently 570 outlets). When I heard this about BP marine batteries (some years ago), via research on the net I read that EP was about the largest, oldest, and most trusted battery manufacturer in the U.S. XTREME is the moniker/brand-name that BP places on their wet cell (deep cycle and starter) marine batteries... the type I use!

Any hooooo... Since BP opened in our area I and my extended family have been purchasing all our battery needs there. Battery power and use-longevity (of all type batteries) have for years now provided us remarkably positive results. BP battery costs are about the lowest on the market. Consistent first name personal service we get at BP is another factor we greatly appreciate.

Interesting post, John & Art....

When I was installing my SOC monitor, I tried to get the Peukert Exponent from Power Stride. They referred me to East Penn as that is where they get their 8D AGMs from. I'd never heard of East Penn until now. Apparently they "private label" all their batteries as I've never seen or heard of an East Penn line.

I purchased my AGM 4D batteries from a marina that bought them from Batteries Plus, and they are manufactured by East Penn as well. BP's price to the marina was very reasonable and I benefitted from that.

Last I heard...West marine brand was East Penn also...they did extensive testing and agreed for the buck they were worth putting their name on.

Last I heard...West marine brand was East Penn also...they did extensive testing and agreed for the buck they were worth putting their name on.

This is true....They are Deka batteries!

It looks like I am going with the Platinum Die Hard. Certainly not the cheapest at about $240 per but not the most expensive either. And Built by Odyssey which is one of the best batteries out there. They have received rave reviews across cyberspace and a 3 year full replacement warranty. A big factor in this decision is being able to drive 5 miles down the street for face to face warranty service should any issues rear their ugly heads.

I called Batteries Plus in my area and their Group 31 marine AGM was $360!!!....manufactured by X2...allegedly a spin off of Odyssey according to the guy on the phone.

>My real problem is a large charger and it looks like the combo inverter/chargers is the best value.<

The new ones are very smart and the units that pass thru an adjustable amount of amps , then add to the line power automatically are probably the best to live with.

These can boost a small noisemaker that is properly working very hard to start an additional Air Cond , or give a good lifestyle on a cruddy power hose.

When the smart inverter dies , you loose the batt charger too.

Not for the cruising belt and suspenders folks .

Baker, if you can find a local marine supplier who does business with BP, you might try pricing through them. I got mine from a local marina for 1/3 less than West Marine wanted for the same East Penn battery. I believe they added 10% to wholesale to handle the transaction. It is worth asking.

I have nothing for or against either company - just relating my experience.

Baker, if you can find a local marine supplier who does business with BP, you might try pricing through them. I got mine from a local marina for 1/3 less than West Marine wanted for the same East Penn battery. I believe they added 10% to wholesale to handle the transaction.

I get East Penn Deka batteries from a local NON-marine battery supplier, out in the industrial park area. Quite a bit less expensive than West Marine - most recently $197 for g31 Deka AGM's.

From my local and very accommodative Batteries Plus store...

Few years ago I outfitted our Tolly with 4 - 31 EXTREME deep cells, one 27 EXTREME combo starter/deep cell, and a 2 amp charger that keeps our on-board independently stored 27 spare topped-off for emergencies. Total cost was not far over $500. All are wet cell batts.

We get all our batts from BP. Longevity and power available from each type batt we’ve gotten has been outstanding. Their really good customer service is appreciated.

Also, BP cell ph and watch batts out perform/out-last any others we've used.

:thumb:

4 new 6 volt batteries . With inverter on only getting 97 volts at my 110 receptacles . Where should I start looking?

4 new 6 volt batteries . With inverter on only getting 97 volts at my 110 receptacles . Where should I start looking?

Your may fine. Plug in an AC load like a light bulb and test the voltage at another inverted outlet. Some inverters have what I call a sleep/idle mode. They're on but at rest and need a load to operate as rated.

Larry's idea is a good one. If i doesn't work then open up AC wire out panel on the inverter and test the AC voltage at the wire connections.

Marty

You may be fine. Do you have a modified sine or true sine inverter? If you have a modified sine inverter and you don't have a true rms meter, you will probably read about 100 volts AC. Check to see what you have, and possibly borrow a true rms meter. With it you might have 115-120 volts. I did this same thing several years ago and asked the maintenance EE at work. He explained the problem and lent me his Fluke 87 meter. I had a Fluke 23 which is not true RMS. Different meter, problem solved.

Try a Kill-A-Watt meter. They're only about $20. My POS Xantrex consistently reads 118-120V on that. It reads when an appliance is connected through it.

Sorry I'm a carpenter not an electrician. I thought this could have related to the new batteries I just bought that had been on the shelf for a year.

Sorry I'm a carpenter not an electrician. I thought this could have related to the new batteries I just bought that had been on the shelf for a year.

Hahaha....no worries. Maybe I was being a bit of an *******...;) But your issue does seem worthy of it's own thread.

No that's not being an a-hole . I work the real ones in a lumber mill everyday.I'll start a new thread when I get to the boat.

Back
Top Bottom