Barometer location

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
My barometer is mounted inside the cabin. I took it off and set it out on the back deck. it changed right away.

Could this be from a bad meter or is there a difference between inside and outside?

Sd

Last edited:
My barometer is mounted inside the cabin. I took it off and set it out on the back deck. it changed right away.

Could this be from a bad meter or is there a difference between inside and outside?

Sd

The reading changed only because it got "tapped" or bumped when you moved it. Unless your cabin is pressurized, the barometer will read the same inside or out.

I thought so.

I think the darn thing is on the fritz.

I knew there was a storm coming but it never changed untill I put it on the back deck. So I am sure I bumped it.

Thanks. something else to replace.

What is the best to get.

Sd

the barometer that i have needs a small tap to give a good reading. i think its the same for all i know of

I was taught to always give the barometer a tap before you read it. They will generally move and this also gives you an indication if the pressure is rising or falling.

Ditto.

If you want a barometer to look nautical on a bulkhead , most anything brass looking is fine.

If you want an instrument to show what is happening to make a decision about the weather.

You want a barograph , a recording instrument that is a tool.

www.weems-plath.com/products/classic-barograph/

If you want a barometer to look nautical on a bulkhead , most anything brass looking is fine.

If you want an instrument to show what is happening to make a decision about the weather.

You want a barograph , a recording instrument that is a tool.

www.weems-plath.com/products/classic-barograph/

It's the trend that's important...whether (no pun intended :D) you write it down or the machine.

Some people even remember the numbers because weather and boating often go hand in hand...:thumb:

We have two barometers: a Weems & Plath and one made by Oregon Scientific which is electronic. We like the OS system for it displays current pressure plus the last 24 hours in 2 hour increments, temperature (indoor and out), time, date and RH. We have had pretty good luck with Oregon Scientific temperature/pressure systems.

Back
Top Bottom