Old 08-03-2019, 10:36 PM   #41
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Update

I have been running the boat with an ACR between the house and thruster bank. However, Iíve had issues with voltage drops affecting the nav instruments when the thrusters are used.

So today and reconnected the Balmar Duo-Charge. Someone mentioned that the melted fuse holder could be related to simply a poor connection in the fuse holder. Certainly could be as the fuse has been there for almost a decade.

The other thing that I noticed before but never though about, was that the Duo-charge wasnít installed according to Balmarís instrucitons. So I ran a new 10AWG wire from the Duo-Charge to the battery. It is right about the 8í length that Balmar recommends. Anyway, Iíll keep and eye on it and see if it performs well (as it had for almost a decade before).

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 01:17 AM   #42
Guru

City: Fairport, NY and Palm Coast, FL
Yeah; its good to take a voltage reading every few years on the high current users, right at the load. This will show any deficits in connections and even the battery(s) themselves.
My garmin chartplotter is my early warning canary when too much house V drop occurs.

diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:10 PM   #43
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Dave: have you checked the voltage drop at the thruster batteries with all charging sources off, including the ACR? If below 10 VDC, I suspect the batteries may be near end of life, particularly if the Duocharge worked previously.

In my situation, the issue Iím finding with the Duocharge is, the voltage drop between the Duocharge to the thruster bank is excessive, as the POs only used 10 gauge wire and the run is far too long. This is something I need to correct.

Jim
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:32 PM   #44
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
Dave: have you checked the voltage drop at the thruster batteries with all charging sources off, including the ACR? If below 10 VDC, I suspect the batteries may be near end of life, particularly if the Duocharge worked previously.

In my situation, the issue Iím finding with the Duocharge is, the voltage drop between the Duocharge to the thruster bank is excessive, as the POs only used 10 gauge wire and the run is far too long. This is something I need to correct.

Jim
If there is a fault with the thruster battery that could cause excessive current demand and the melting of the duocharge fuse.
Aquabelle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 01:48 PM   #45
Guru

Quote:

Jim

After the batteries initially had been discharged very deeply (when I found out that they were no longer being charged), I connected them to the ACR and got them fully charged. I then disconnected the thruster batteries, used the thrusters a tiny bit, and let the batteries rest for over a day. The batteries still showed 12.7v. So I think the batteries themselves are OK.

Iím not as sanguine about all of the connections as I havenít had a chance to check them all yet. I will however.

I agree that the batteries are likely at the end of their life. I am unsure of their age, but they are likely at least 6 years old and could be as much as 8 years old. I have only abused them once, but it was bad as they ended up reading only about 10.5v if I recall. Still, I will see how they work with the Duo-Charge setup again.

As has been noted, Balmar wants the charger connected to the battery with a 10 gauge wire that is at least 8í long. I donít understand the reasons. Instead, this one was connects to a positive bus to the thruster bank so was connected with a 4/0 cable. When I reconnected it, I ran a 10 gauge wire connected directly to the battery. Not sure if that will make any difference. I will also use a 40amp fuse as CMS recommended instead of the 30amp.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-04-2019, 03:22 PM   #46
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Actually, Dave, I meant ďWhat is the voltage at the batteries with the thruster engaged and all charging sources off?Ē If it drops below 10, it could be causing all of those problems with your nav instruments, if they too sense that low voltage. This test is one way to determine battery health in a relative sense. Do the test again when you have new batteries and you will probably find considerably higher voltages with the thruster engaged.
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 03:59 PM   #47

City: Puget Sound
Dave if you are using an ACR there should be a terminal that will open the ACR contacts. That terminal just gets connected to the thruster solenoid coil so when the thruster is energized the ACR is open. This will prevent the voltage drop you are seeing on the electronics assuming that the electronics are on the house bank.
Ka_sea_ta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:58 PM   #48
Guru

Quote:
Actually, Dave, I meant ďWhat is the voltage at the batteries with the thruster engaged and all charging sources off?Ē If it drops below 10, it could be causing all of those problems with your nav instruments, if they too sense that low voltage. This test is one way to determine battery health in a relative sense. Do the test again when you have new batteries and you will probably find considerably higher voltages with the thruster engaged.

Ah, thanks. That makes so much sense!

Iíll try and do that test the next time Iím down at the boat with a helper.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-04-2019, 06:09 PM   #49
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka_sea_ta View Post
Dave if you are using an ACR there should be a terminal that will open the ACR contacts. That terminal just gets connected to the thruster solenoid coil so when the thruster is energized the ACR is open. This will prevent the voltage drop you are seeing on the electronics assuming that the electronics are on the house bank.

I believe that it will provide a 3-5 minute lockout. Iíll have to look at my own setup. That wouldnít be long enough if I connected it to the solenoid that energizes the thrusters. However, Iíll have to look to see how my thrusters at controlled at the motor. I imagine there has to be a solenoid (or two) at each thruster.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-05-2019, 11:02 PM   #50

City: St. Petersburg
If you go the Blue Sea ACR route, they provide an Engine Start tab that, when connected to the engine start switch or, in your case, the bow thruster switch, will disconnect the ACR immediately when voltage is sensed at the ES tab.