Balmar Alternator Regulators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

millennium

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Mainship390
I am about to install two Balmar regulators(twin engine) and a Balmar Centerfielder.

These components will go in the engine room on a bulkhead near the alternators. I am concerned that the exposed wiring and connectors on these components may be damaged by something or someone bumping into them.

Has anyone installed them and did you use anything to protect them from damage?

I have a Balmar ARS-5 and a Duo Charge in the engine room. The ARS-5 is 15" from the alternator screwed to a stringer. The Duo is screwed to a bulkhead about 20" from the motor.

All wiring is properly supported and in wire loom.

Both are subject to the engine room temperatures.

I have heard it is not good(engine heat) to do that to a regulator, but have had no problems with either unit. They seem to be pretty robust and all internal parts are buried in a mound of epoxy from the factory, which I assume is to keep things watertight.

I do carry a spare ARS in case of failure.

Why use a centerfielder at all? If you have two engines and two battery banks, feed each bank directly from an alternator (not through the starter cables) and add a combiner or automatic charge relay between the banks to allow a single alternator to charge both banks if needed during periods of single engine operation or failed alternator. Simple, reliable, less costly.

I just ordered a Balmar MC-614H regulator to install with my new Balmar 120A alternator. I plan to attach the regulator to the joist above and about 3 feet forward of the engine. There is plenty of open space there on my boat. In speaking with the folks at Balmar (360-435-6100), I was told that the area immediately above the engine might be too hot. They recommend mounting the regulator in an area that does not exceed 150* F. I plan to check the temps at my intended mounting area next weekend with my infrared point-and-shoot thermometer immediately after an hour or so cruise.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom