Autopilots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Exactly. You don't need a backup for every single system onboard. Do you have a backup stove and fridge, because you could starve to death if you don't eat and can't cook or store food! Why not just tow a spare trawler behind you? (Ok, I am being a schmuk here, I know). Still, y'all seen pretty wimpy to feel like you cannot, under any circumstances, touch the helm wheel. OMG! We, and many others, spent many hours with the hands on our wheels for every mile that passes under the keel. Yes, I am now installing an AP this month, but not to totally avoid the hassle of driving. Just to make the long stretches of straight-line navigating easier and more accurate. Especially when we will be out-of-sight of land like the run to Ocracoke or running outside from Beaufort to Masonboro.

I don't want to thread-creep too much here, but backup AP's seem like a waste of money for coastal cruising. HOWEVER... it's your money. Spend it however you like!

Tom-

No helm or helmsman's seat, just the Simrad controller. (Box with knob.)

I've always wondered why more boats were not equipped this way as space in the salon is at such a premium.

There's a Nordhavn 46 thats for sale that has that same setup, kinda.

They eliminated the steering wheel completely and went with a Simrad autopilot with the rotary knob.

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

Even though I think that setup is pretty nice, that boat has not sold for over 2 years, even though its priced at the low end of the Nordhavn market.

I think its because people want a steering wheel. I don't think they trust the autopilot based steering concept.

Otherwise it looks like a great boat at a great price.

Thanks for all the feedback and like the Simrad 24 or 28. The PO installed a Simrad RPU 300 Hydraulic Pump Drive and a Rudder Feedback Unit (cannot determine the make) assumed to be compatible with the pump. I think I can use still use these systems and then purchase the additional units. I have a Furuno Nav Net VX2/C-Map. Any ideas from the list regarding compatibility and cost (sometimes can buy the whole system cheaper) would be greatly appreciated.
Ian

I have the Simrad AP24 connected to the Furuno Navnet VX2

The communication is NMEA 0183 and goes directly to the control head making it an easy setup.

On the Simrad I can use it as a standard magnetic autopilot, utilizing either its own heading sensor, or I can use the Furunos heading sensor.

I can also with two buttons pushes have the simrad follow the route that the Furuno is navigating by. That is a pretty handy feature.

The only problem with route following is that it is a little less sensitive. The reason is that in magnetic mode it tracks based on heading. In route mode it tracks by XTE (cross track error). So what you see in your track is a squiggly line with your programed route in the center.

In magnetic mode the individual corrections are much smaller.

In a calm sea its not much of a deal, but in a heavy sea state route following can put you somewhat abeam to your intended course as the unit corrects back to your original route. This makes for a much less comfortable ride.

I found that the autopilot stayed locked on in any sea state. Crossing the Gulf of Alaska last year we had honest 8-10' swells with 4-6' wind waves on those. It was an unplesant trip to say the least, but the autopilot did its job.

Last edited:
but backup AP's seem like a waste of money for coastal cruising

Hardly as its scrap value is low and its ALL READT INSTALLED!!

Weather a "better" all electric job that will allow one to program 999 way points in advance while monitoring a GPS is worth it IS already decided , the owner wants a new toy.

To rip out what has been working for 25-35 years is the question.

I have had the opportunity to use a variety of autopilots in the course of our chartering exploits: Simrad 20 series, Raymarine 1000 series, GladiatorTR1 (now Garmin), Technautic. My favorite was a somewhat basic Comnav , the 1001 I believe. It drove a Grand Banks 49MY beautifully in a variety of seas and is very easy to figure out and use. I really admire the Will Hamm units, but have no experience with one under way. Our old Robertson 200DL has served us fine, has the power steering mode which I use almost all the time when underway via the remote (either as adjusting the AP or with AP off). I still prefer the wheel when navigating an inlet or close quarters.

I spent some time a few years ago shopping APs at the Miami show, thinking erroneously something was wrong with my 200DL. I decided from that I'd get a Comnav fancy version if I was going to upgrade, but the nice folks at Simrad walked me through calibrating my old one and I have been happy with it four years hence.

P70R head unit, S100 remote, SPX 30 brains, with fluxgate compass and pumpset (can't locate the numbers as I am a long way from my boat just now).
I bought in June and had it running for my summer trips.

Originally Posted by SeaHorse II
No helm or helmsman's seat, just the Simrad controller. (Box with knob.)
I've always wondered why more boats were not equipped this way as space in the salon is at such a premium.

There's a Nordhavn 46 thats for sale that has that same setup, kinda.
They eliminated the steering wheel completely and went with a Simrad autopilot with the rotary knob.
View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com
Even though I think that setup is pretty nice, that boat has not sold for over 2 years, even though its priced at the low end of the Nordhavn market.
I think its because people want a steering wheel. I don't think they trust the autopilot based steering concept.
Otherwise it looks like a great boat at a great price.
The Dashew's Windhorse has only the (duplicated) APs and little joy sticks for steering. Works for them.

One or more of the Deadliest Catch boats operates by a lever/knob on a little black box too. No helm wheel that I can see.

The 46' pusher tug I run for a company just has a steering lever...to make it even more ridiculous...it has a mini-thumb one so the helmsman can slump all the way back in the big comfy helm chair and only move a thumb with his arm on the counter to steer.

Not sure who make it but Simrad has one, it's on the aft steering station of the 46' utility boat I run sometimes.

Jog levers don't need an autopilot, just hydraulic steering and a pump. It is a very common commercial boat set up. See Kobelt.

I have not been on a tug With a conventional steering wheel since the mid 80's. Virtually all tugs and many other types of working craft are "steered" by jog lever controls.

The 46' pusher tug I run for a company just has a steering lever...to make it even more ridiculous...it has a mini-thumb one so the helmsman can slump all the way back in the big comfy helm chair and only move a thumb with his arm on the counter to steer.

Sounds like they used old AirBust parts .

Side stick control , direct into the water .

Jog levers don't need an autopilot, just hydraulic steering and a pump. It is a very common commercial boat set up. See Kobelt.

Most all ships have trick wheels and and jog steering in addition to a traditional helm.

I charge extra 100 a day for deliveries without a AP or one that breaks early in the trip and can not be fixed quickly.

TMQ Pilots (Australian made) are the standard for commercial boats both here in NZ and Aus. They have a reputation as "fit and forget" and are cheaper than most recreational pilots.
We have an AP55 Pilot and it is in constant use as soon as we clear the harbour and has been completely trouble free for 8 years. It was simple to add a jog lever (Schneider from an electrical wholesaler) and mount it on the helm chair. You can see it mounted on the end of the left armrest. The head unit is next to the bowthruster joystick. I still find the wheel best for low speed manoevering.
I don't know if TMQ is available in the US....

Attachments

• Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
The head unit is next to the bowthruster joystick

I would have thought there might be a relief driver ,

and the head would not need to be in the wheelhouse seat.

^^^^FF made a joke :eek: :D

Back
Top Bottom