Automated Horn Controller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
A long overdue maintenance issue is attending to my unreliable horn situation. Sometimes it works and oftentimes it doesn’t. So I’m looking at air horn replacement options. Another part of this is automating control of the horn. I have found this device.

FogMate Automated Horn Controller:

http://www.fogmate.com/FogMate Spec Sheet10 - water.pdf

Has anyone any experience with it and can comment?

Jim

That looks like a neat idea. My VHF radio has an automatic fog horn feature that works through the hailer horn. I wish it was louder. This might be a better idea by using the air horn.

I have installed FogMate on both my boats. Worked as advertised. This Pilot came with a wimpy electric horn. Now it has a respectable air horn. Fogmate does not care as long as the actuation is electrical.

I have a FogMate, and love it. It's the one thing I un-installed and moved from my last boat to the current one. At the time they were off-line or out of business or something, otherwise I'd have bought a second one.

Boating in Maine and the Canadian Maritimes, we use it a LOT. It's part of the standard routine when we hit fog. FogMate, lights and the radar go on. At least one extra set of eyes on watch. And then we just keep going. If you waited out fog around here, you'd never get anywhere.

As a back-up, my VHF will also run fog signals through the loud hailer, but that's a poor substitute for a real fog horn.

Okay. Sounds like a good unit. I’ll pick one up. We’ve had several occasions travelling in fog and I’ve been blowing the horn manually. With everything else on the go whilst navigating in the fog, it’s one less thing to focus on if there is a way to automate the situation.

I’ve been flipping through the installation PDF. Why does it show connections to the navigation lights? Why not just flip on the lights as part of the fog procedure?

Jim

Last edited:
I think FM was smart enough to want to avoid requiring another switch some place as well as being aware the nav lights have to be on in reduced viz; so why not activate FM that way. Brilliant, no?

Do Kahlenberg sell directly to the public or do I have to go through a retailer?

It also looks like a good option.

Jim

Last edited:
Bought my Kahlenberg direct from the manufacturer.

You might want to check out Kahlenberg very high quality and reliable. I've used them for years.

The control module on that link looks exactly like my FogMate. I think the connectors are the same, and the functionality described is exactly the same. I don't have those switches, just a regular toggle switch on my switch panel.

I got a quote from Kahlenberg. $200 for the 12VDC unit and the same price for the 24 VDC unit.

Jim

FogMate Automated Horn Controller:.......Has anyone any experience with it and can comment?
I believe that Flywright who is on this forum has one. Look him up!

The back ends may be similar, but the Kahlenberg control method is much more user friendly and intuitive. Take a look at the manuals and specs.

I had the same intermittent problem with my electric horn that turned out to be minor corrosion on the "points" that open & close the circuit to move the diaphragm on electric horns. Remove the back cover, a few strokes with a nail file and the horns work every time.

The back ends may be similar, but the Kahlenberg control method is much more user friendly and intuitive. Take a look at the manuals and specs.

Right, it's the "back end" (brain) I'm talking about. You could hook the FogMate up to any two rocker switches, label them the same, and get the same result. I chose to just use an unused opening in an existing switch panel. I found that better than cutting a hole for a new switch panel.

But whatever brand name it's marketed under, to me this is a must-have for any serious cruiser.

I believe that Flywright who is on this forum has one. Look him up!

I installed the FogMate in Jan 2010 so it's been about 10 years of regular use in the CA Delta and SF Bay. I just used it again last week in fog with about 1/4 mile visibility. It has worked flawlessly for me and I find it very intuitive.

When I want the fog horn, I flip on my nav lights (that are supposed to be on during low vis ops) and toot the horn once. The unit gives me a confirming toot, then begins its randomized 2 minute cycle.

My FogMate is connected to my Kahlenberg horns and the pair provides a reliable and loud alert to others.

I'm so satisfied with it that if it failed today, I'd buy another one tomorrow. :thumb::thumb:

That looks like a neat idea. My VHF radio has an automatic fog horn feature that works through the hailer horn. I wish it was louder. This might be a better idea by using the air horn.
My iCom 506 has several programs for horn use that are played through the hailer. Volume is controlled by the VHF's volume knob and when all the way up....it's damn loud!

My iCom 506 has several programs for horn use that are played through the hailer. Volume is controlled by the VHF's volume knob and when all the way up....it's damn loud!

My VHF is a Raymarine. I'll look and see if I can turn the volume up.

I believe either the USCG or another agency tested loudhailer horns after an incident and found the majority of installs to not meet the COLREGs.

Not saying they cant...just be aware if you are in an incident, your horn may be evaluated.

I never got around to acquiring a Fogmate and I now understand these units are no longer available. I am considering one of these units.

https://www.kahlenberg.com/signal-controller-fog-signal-timer-model-m-485b.html

Is this unit complete, or are other modules required in the installation? Can it be installed with the existing manual horn system? My horn is an air horn.

Jim

I installed Fogmates in both my Grand Banks and now my Mainship 30 Pilot II, and no extra modules are required. You simply connect in one of the several modes indicated in the installation instructions.

I never got around to acquiring a Fogmate and I now understand these units are no longer available. I am considering one of these units.

https://www.kahlenberg.com/signal-controller-fog-signal-timer-model-m-485b.html

Is this unit complete, or are other modules required in the installation? Can it be installed with the existing manual horn system? My horn is an air horn.

Jim

Just looking at the picture and reading the (very limited) description on that page, it would appear to have three modes, only two of which are available from the switch. It implies that the sailing or motoring selection is configured somewhere else. Not convenient for a sailboat, which may need either configuration.

It does seem to suggest it can be installed alongside an existing manual horn system.

Oh, and the price is quite a bit more than FogMate was. That may be why they're no longer made.

I've used the older kahlenberg controller with air horns. What's needed is a solenoid valve.

JD I have one installed.

I made a tiny mistake. It is recommended the power come from the nav lights. On my installation, the power comes from the house buss. Tiny and insignificant mistake. I have yet to verify the installation. I have 3 air horns trumpets and testing it, in the marina or the narrow part of the AICW, would not make me new friends. SMILE

Last edited:
Fogmate

Fogmate is out of business. I ‘m playing around with a DC Timer Module, Timer Switch Module,Trigger Cycle Delay Timer Switch,Turn On/Off Relay Module with LED Display 5V-36V from Amazon. It’s a XY-LJ02 relay. Cost was only $9.99. It should do everything a Fogmate did and can be configured to power a device on for a preset amount of time and repeat after a preset interval. Amazon also has a number of fancier version in cases for less than $20. It does not appear too complicated to wire up.

If it works as planned, I will post a thread with the circuit diagram.

BMarler just beat me too it!!

Last edited:
Fogmate is out of business. I ‘m playing around with a DC Timer Module, Timer Switch Module,Trigger Cycle Delay Timer Switch,Turn On/Off Relay Module with LED Display 5V-36V from Amazon. It’s a XY-LJ02 relay. Cost was only $9.99. It should do everything a Fogmate did and can be configured to power a device on for a preset amount of time and repeat after a preset interval. Amazon also has a number of fancier version in cases for less than $20. It does not appear too complicated to wire up.

If it works as planned, I will post a thread with the circuit diagram.

BMarler just beat me too it!!

Well...GET TO WORK! LOL...and let us know how it works!

My horn is on it's own breaker on the helm panel and has a push button to activate.

Thanks!

Jim

Reply to JD

That's the same configuration as mine and I am thinking it should be relatively simple to piggyback the power in to the horn's witch switch to the timer and then feed from the timer to the other side of the switch. It does need a momentary switch powered by a AA battery to activate the timer and to turn it off.

Will be sure to post results.

There is another product on the market, Signal Mate.
More elaborate, more money.

There is another product on the market, Signal Mate.
More elaborate, more money.

Yup, I just stumbled across that one. Pricing looks close to the cheapest of the Kahlenberg controllers (and far cheaper than the fancy Kahlenberg stuff).

Back
Top Bottom