Auto pilot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KEVMAR

Vessel Name
Delphina
Vessel Make
President 43
I have a Robertson Autopilot that keeps blowing the fuse... It is the AP2500 with a J100 Junction box... I do not have a compass as the PO took it out . I am trying to find a compass that will work with this unit and also to find out why the fuse keeps blowing. Maybe because the compass is not in operation?? any thoughts thank you
Kevin G
New Bern N.C.

So how is it used? tied to the GPS? No compass would certainly be a suspect. Have you tried calling Simrad?

My AP35 with I think the rpu160 occasionally causes overcurrent problems, I have to take the back of the motor off and clean carbon from between the commutator strips.

But I would not worry about that til you get a compass. I don't think it will work at all without it.

I have a Robertson Autopilot that keeps blowing the fuse... It is the AP2500 with a J100 Junction box... I do not have a compass as the PO took it out . I am trying to find a compass that will work with this unit and also to find out why the fuse keeps blowing. Maybe because the compass is not in operation?? any thoughts thank you
Kevin G
New Bern N.C.

Kevin,

Here is a compass that should work with your system. Is the fuse the correct size and type? I would verify the installation and wiring per the Simrad/Robinson Owner's manual before going any further. Checking the brushes and commutator on the pump is a great idea too. :thumb:

Larry
M/V Boomarang

The compass Larry mentions is a good economical fix but keep in mind it does not have nmea so you will not be able to use the pilot to navigate by xte or to waypoints. The RFC37 does have nmea but more pricey. Unlikely the lack of compass is blowing fuse unless the compass wires are all loose & shorted out. I think the guys are right, likely pump motor. Unhook it at the pump or J100 and try it. If still blows, not the pump, check pump relay.

Well we need to know what is actuating the pump. If it is flailing about uncontrolled you may have the root cause.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom