Old 09-13-2019, 08:19 AM   #1
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
AquaMap and USACE survey data for AICW travel?

I read recently in a different forum that AquaMap can incorporate USACE surveys (at extra cost?), even with weekly updates...

We found web-based copies of USACE survey pics useful for traversing Lockwoods Folly and Shallotte Inlets a couple years ago, but I don't remember if we were using those for other areas...

Anybody here with AquaMap/USACE/AICM experience? Seriously worth it? OK, but no big deal? Too much trouble? Or...?

Our normal complement of nav stuff for that trip was fixed NN3D, TimzeZero on a laptop, and then when useful either MX Mariner or Plan2Nav on a tablet.

Since then Plan2Nav is replacing itself with Embark (looks OK, not much experience with the trial version yet) and we've been looking at Transas iSailor (can't say their interface is endearing).

MX Mariner incorporates AC. Our TimeZero is so old (but with updated charts) that it can't update AC makers from Garmin. Plan2Nav had AC markers but stopped, and Embark won't. iSailor doesn't.

Wondering if AquaMap with USACE data, plus AC markers, plus Waterway Guide overlays would be worth fooling with...

Best features? Worst features?

-Chris

Old 09-13-2019, 08:38 AM   #2
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I read recently in a different forum that AquaMap can incorporate USACE surveys (at extra cost?), even with weekly updates...

Wondering if AquaMap with USACE data, plus AC markers, plus Waterway Guide overlays would be worth fooling with...

Best features? Worst features?

-Chris

Without a doubt, absolutely worth the effort and minimal cost. We recently (July) used the overlays to transit some notorious trouble spots (specifically Jeremy Creek/McClellanville) and they were spot on. Further south we used them in SC & GA, again, spot on. Another valuable tool for transiting the ICW. As a veteran of 20-some transits, I can say that this is probably one of the most useful tools to become available for traveling the ICW. Way better than Garmin Blue Chart.

On a side note, I did have some difficulty getting the app to connect to my local wifi- I use CE's data server. I had a couple exchanges with AquaMap tech support, and ultimately ironed out the problem. Between tweaking my router and updates to the app, the problem has resolved, and I now get the nav data AquaMap uses into the display. (Heading, AIS, depth, GPS, etc).

Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:44 AM   #3

City: Marion, Massachusetts
Vessel Name: Wanderer
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
I have Aquamap Master, the version with the ACOE overlays. It runs on IOS platform. Has a WiFi connection to my Vesper AIS. The app also has a good anchor alarm function. The Facebook group ICW Cruising Guide by Bob423 has a gazillion discussion on this. Just use the search function when you get there (btw it is a closed group, but easy to join)

There is no one Nav app that does everything, but Aquamap Master is my default. Its cheap enough.

But really, just try it out for two weeks for free and see how you like it.
PMF1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:41 AM   #4
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
I have Aqua Map Master with the USACE overlays and they are excellent.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 05:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Windmill Harbour, Hilton Head Island, SC
Vessel Name: River Girl
Vessel Model: 2004 DeFever 49 RPH
[QUOTE=kchace;801970]I have Aqua Map Master with the USACE overlays and they are excellent.

I use the Aqua Map Master on my iPhone -outstanding data for minimal price -for some reason, I an't get the master version for my (older) Samsung Android tablet. Others have said they can get it on Android. After I turned it on, it showed me exactly why I had run aground:banghead
Old 09-17-2019, 07:43 AM   #6
Guru

Thanks, all, sounds like I'll want to give it a try...

-Chris
Old 10-02-2019, 09:04 AM   #7
Guru

Thanks again to all who recommended. I've installed AquaMap, and now working through issues with their support people to get it to run, allow USACE survey data on two devices, etc. App crashes a lot, for now apparent reason... but at least their support guys answer up when questioned.

The USACE overlays are nifty, and in fact here where we sit just now is inside a survey area. OTOH, the overlay disappeared this morning, so I had to start yet another discussion with the GEC people...

-Chris