Apple OS 8.3 and external GPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Northern Spy
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 26
Did anyone else lose their Bluetooth connectivity to an external GPS when they upgraded to OS 8.3?

My Garmin Glo no longer connects to this useless electronic coaster I am currently typing on. I hear the same has happened with bad elf and dual as well.

Any solutions? Besides switching back to my trusty Samsung and selling this hipster thing on Craigslist?

Note. Had to use my android phone to edit this post, as it is not intuitive on the iPad.

Last edited:
I don't use it for any boat navigation but it sure doesn't work well with my Honda Accord nav system since I upgraded my iPhone 6 to 8.3. I gather many if not most vehicle nav systems are having Bluetooth connectivity problems with 8.3, although it varies from example to example.

Because the 8.3 has caused so many Bluetooth issues I'm hopeful that Apple will rectify it soon.

(Overall my iPhone is ten times the phone that my Samsung Galaxy S5 ever was.)

From Garmin:

When running iOS 8.3, customers may not be able to receive GPS information from a Garmin GLO on the following devices:

iPhone 4s
iPad 2
iPad (3rd generation)
For customers who use the Garmin Pilot app along with Garmin GLO to receive GPS data, a firmware update is available for GLO, which resolves these connectivity issues. To download and install version 2.70 firmware for your Garmin GLO, download and run Garmin WebUpdater.

Garmin GLO Connectivity with Select iOS Devices » Garmin Blog

Harbor950,

I updated the GLO, but no joy. I'll try the turn everything on and off several times and restoring as your other post recommends.

Thanks.

Did you try re-associating the IOS Bluetooth client with GLO? What Apple device and model are you using?

Some folks get a new phone and forget the association needs to be re-established.

It links fine. It is an 8.3 OS problem in how data is transferred.

I might just roll back to 8.2.

I'm taking my iPhone into Apple in the next day or so; if I find out anything useful I'll report back.

Harbor950,

Thanks. Your second link did it.
Works fine now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom