Old 06-25-2016, 03:02 PM   #1

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Sojourner
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34T
AP Recommendations

10 years ago the PO installed a Raymarine package including an S2 autopilot. The AP works but has never worked very well. I've talked with Raymarine about it, adjusted the heck out of it, and even installed an external rate gyro. See the pics for examples of how it works following a straight track in fairly benign conditions.

Forget about it handling the boat in a following sea.

Anyone have a specific AP that works better than this? Which manufacturer/model? If it can hold a course well and follow NMEA 0183 track command I'd be happy. Of course I want to spend as little as possible.

A cheap and easy solution would be the current Raymarine Evolution offering. But given my experience with the S2 I'm leery. (Though in fairness the ST6000 I had on the sailboat worked well.) Anyone have good or bad experiences with the Evolution?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3619.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	53519   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3625.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	53520  

danderer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:32 PM   #2

City: Southampton
Simrad

I have a Simrad that I have been happy with.

Recb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:41 PM   #3

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recb View Post
I have a Simrad that I have been happy with.
Ditto
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:50 PM   #4
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Based on experience in a chartered boat and first hand discussions with owners, when I considered replacing my old Robertson (which I never got around to) I settled on Comnav. They have simple units, such as the one in the Grand Banks 49 we rented.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:01 PM   #5

City: Markham
Vessel Name: Jenna Star
Vessel Model: 2003 American Tug 34
FWIW, I installed a new Raymarine Evolution last summer and have been very happy with it.
David Rive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rive View Post
FWIW, I installed a new Raymarine Evolution last summer and have been very happy with it.
Did you happen to replace an existing AP where you could compare the performance of the Evolution to its predecessor?
Old 06-25-2016, 06:06 PM   #7
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by danderer View Post
Anyone have good or bad experiences with the Evolution?.
I have a brand new EV200 that I'm happy with but don't have a lot of hours on it. Years ago I had a ComNav (1001?) that was on my 30' Pilot. I don't think that I'll ever have an AP that's as easy to operate & is as fool proof as that!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:38 AM   #8
FF
Guru

In a following sea only a sail boat with an Aries in the water vane steering can work.

On any power boat the boat must change heading as the AP can not (yet) anticipate the motion a wave will cause.

IF you can hand steer , while only looking Fwd , an AP should be able to do a similar job.

If you have a hard time , perhaps the rudder should be refined or enlarged first.

In theory a steering sensor , a pivoting oar on the stern might be able to steer in a heavy following sea , but so far .........
\
Perhaps the auto world will yield a radar AP that can see the wave coming astern and have a correcting program.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:07 AM   #9

City: Hampton, va
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
Last fall I helped a friend take his boat down the ICW. His Kadey Krogan 48 a Simrad autopilot. I could not use it as the boat wandered from side to side and I was worried we would crash.

My current OA has a 13 year old Raymarine which works flawlessly.

Are you sure it is an autopilot issue and not a course computer or flux gate compass issue? Generally, in my experience, adjusting the sensitivity up or down solves almost all problems. This is my second Ray Marine autopilot, the first being on our sailboat, and all tracked straight and true.

Gordon
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:13 AM   #10
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
my older ST5000+ has taken to wandering a bit.

I know the internal battery must be dead as it no longer remembers settings.

But I think the real cause is a tiny bit of air in the system....if the upper helm sits for a week or two the wandering is there...if I go up and turn the wheel a bit from side to side...the wandering stops.

On my project list.....any chance air could be an issue?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
On my project list.....any chance air could be an issue?
Interesting thought. The system was refilled and bled a couple years ago without impacting the AP performance so seems unlikely.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon J View Post
Are you sure it is an autopilot issue and not a course computer or flux gate compass issue? Generally, in my experience, adjusting the sensitivity up or down solves almost all problems. This is my second Ray Marine autopilot, the first being on our sailboat, and all tracked straight and true.
Well, pretty sure. When I say AP in this case I mean the S2 computer. The ST8002 controller has it's own independent problems (the knob for dialing in a course is getting very flaky).

The sailboat unit we had could be adjusted to work well. The owners group had a full set of parameters to set to get that AP to play well with the sailboat and when set it worked well.

The S2 has been adjusted many times per RM tech support with no real improvement.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:51 PM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Athens, AL
Vessel Name: Always Something!
Vessel Model: Tiara 3700 open
Raymarine S2 vs. S2G with rate gyro

My old boat came with an S2 computer and I was not happy with the wandering that it exhibited. I searched the net and found articles relating the same issues. Came across a good buy on Ebay for an add on rate gyro .. bought it and the difference was night and day. Tracked true and had very little over steer. My new system ... EV-100 with the 3 gyros has been great and with the dial controller to change course .. very easy power steer.
Alabama Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:14 PM   #14

City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
I've dealt with 4 Raymarine autopilots over the last 5 years. First was an old ST7000 that wandered all over the place. On that one the Fluxgate compass just wasn't up to it and the software couldn't be updated. It ended up the course computer was failing. Replaced it with an EVO200 when it was relatively new. I never could correct the "No pilot" errors caused by communications problems between the EVO autopilot and two Lowrance MFDs on the same NMEA2000 network. Swore I would never do that again. Last boat came with an really old Raymarine Autohelm autopilot that seemed to work pretty well until the remote failed and took a Seatalk communications port with it. The fluxgate compass on that one was also flaky especially when you sent it a route. I really needed the remote but had no way to connect it with the bad Seatalk Port. Labored on what to replace it with and simplest route was the EVO.

I researched the recent history of the EVO and asked Raymarine on the forum about the problems I had as recently as 18 months ago. They assured me they had been corrected. Well, I took that at their word and put one in. This one was a much different experience until I matched it up with an S100 remote. It took a couple of weeks to work out the remote problem (The remote comes defaulted into the "Fishing Boat" type which apparently when matched to an EVO autopilot works like a random number generator to the course computer.)

The only outstanding issue with the EVO is trying to send it a track. Both Raymarine and Garmin MFDs send some autopilot NMEA2000 PGNs with no data in them when there is no route specified. Because of this you have to turn one or the other MFD off and reboot the EVO before you activate a track. I have brought this up to both Raymarine and Garmin and both said it shouldn't be a problem. That's true in their own isolated worlds.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:11 PM   #15
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
I have run AP's of (I think) all manufacturers on deliveries over the years and have had several on my own boats. I have no doubt that ComNav is the best on the market.
boatpoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:31 PM   #16
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
ComNav.
I now have 3000 hours on it and it takes everything I get myself into.

Following seas no problem.
And I disagree with FF's assessment that they won't work with a power boat in a following sea. Works great if you adjust correctly.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:31 PM   #17

City: Port Angeles, WA
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Skagit Orca 27XLC
Raymarine Autopilot

We recently put on an EV-100, and now have about 55 hours on it. I am pleased with it - it's easy to use - though I am still fiddling with settings. I have never had an AP on a boat this small or fast, so I can offer no comparisons other than it seems to work like the big boats' autopilots.

It has been problem free. We got a smokin' deal from the retailer, and money back from the manufacturer. I had it professionally installed and I set it up myself.

I ran a couple of older charter boats in the last few years that had Raymarine APs, and they both worked well.

I would purchase one again without hesitation.

Good Luck
IRENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:27 AM   #18
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Have a Simrad AP20 with an AP21 remote and a docking station remote all hardwired. Once adjusted, I'm very happy with it! As with all good things, if you like it, buy a second because their going to change it.....not for the better. From what I saw in 2015 at the Miami boat show, Comnav will likely be the replacement if / when the Simrad fails.

Ted
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:52 AM   #19
FF
Guru

"And I disagree with FF's assessment that they won't work with a power boat in a following sea. Works great if you adjust correctly. __________________"

I have to admit I have not been shipmate with a unit with a gyro that could react to the stern slewing off Instantly.

The units I am used to sense the wave knock the stern off course and then steer it back on course.

No problem, although the track viewed would not be straight.

A gyro and computer might be able to learn a situation .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:36 AM   #20
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
ComNav.
I now have 3000 hours on it and it takes everything I get myself into.

Following seas no problem.
And I disagree with FF's assessment that they won't work with a power boat in a following sea. Works great if you adjust correctly.
What model ComNav for a 35ft boat & mechanical steering?