Old 03-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
Anyone use a ProIsoCharge?

I have alternators, one each engine feeding their own seperate 8D batteries. I also have four 6 volt batteries that are only charged from a battery charger. I want to charge the golf cart batteries while under way. This sound like a nice option. My alternators are 60 amp so combining them on the house bank would help with capacity.

Significantly Smarter...
ProIsoCharge delivers digitally controlled alternator output distribution while protecting the health of engine start batteries. An industry changing design that provides intelligent and zero voltage loss isolation, charging of up to 3 other battery banks off a single alternator (model specific). For dual engine applications, ProIsoCharge offers an exclusive 2 alternator input model with up to 4 battery banks. Smart enough to provide priority charging to a battery bank that's under load by taking fully charged batteries off line. The all-in-one design eliminates the need for multiple voltage sensitive relays to charge multiple battery banks simultaneously, saving space, installation time and cost. Ensuring fully charged batteries and faster charge times, ProIsocharge eliminates the typical alternator voltage loss of 0.6VDC that's commonly associated with traditional diode based isolators. Installed with the ProNauticP Series, a boat owner can enjoy the full benefit of shore power and on the water charging.
Attached Images

fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
That is an interesting product, and could be just what I have been searching for.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #3

City: Circleville, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sunset Lady
Vessel Model: 1975 Chris Craft 35 Aft Cabin
Thanks for pointing this unit out to me. I'm also looking for a 2 alt - 3 bank set up for 2 90 amp alts. Found some ProIsoChargers on Ebay for around $220. I think it will handle 2 27 engine start batteries, and a house bank of 6 6 volt golf carts. I am also looking at a Marinco 2532, 2 alt - 3 batt unit, but can't find a price on one yet. This system was recommended to me by our marina maintenance manager, and I trust his wisdom. No affiliation, etc......

"Keep putting off till tomorrow, and you'll end up with a lot of empty yesterdays" Prof. Harold Hill
Bilgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:11 AM   #4
FF
Guru

Simply combining the batts while the alt is operating has no ill effect.

The alt will attempt to bring all the bats to 14.4 and that is an OK voltage for charging wet batts.

Why make a zero job a complex electrical hookup?

Of course you DO have to remember to isolate each bank after shutdown.

Simply another line in the SECURE ENGINE checklist.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #5

City: Circleville, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sunset Lady
Vessel Model: 1975 Chris Craft 35 Aft Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Simply combining the batts while the alt is operating has no ill effect.

The alt will attempt to bring all the bats to 14.4 and that is an OK voltage for charging wet batts.

Why make a zero job a complex electrical hookup?

Of course you DO have to remember to isolate each bank after shutdown.

Simply another line in the SECURE ENGINE checklist.

FF - Explain please?

"Keep putting off till tomorrow, and you'll end up with a lot of empty yesterdays" Prof. Harold Hill
Bilgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #6

Reason to use Pro Iso Charge--It senses each battery bank separately and delivers charge where needed. Also, you can direct full charge to bank of your choice--say, starting bank and top it off first before charge is automatically diverted to other bank.

Reason not to ever combine batteries with parallel switch is that charger (whether alternator or on board charger) senses all combined batteries as one and therefore under charges one bank and overcharges the other.
russv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by russv View Post
Reason not to ever combine batteries with parallel switch is that charger (whether alternator or on board charger) senses all combined batteries as one and therefore under charges one bank and overcharges the other.
Is this true??? Doesn't the low voltage bank accept more amps (charge harder) BECAUSE it's voltage is lower whereas the higher voltage bank accepts less amps BECAUSE it is at a higher voltage. At any rate, I have never had a problem parralleling banks while charging. Please correct me if in error.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:15 AM   #8
FF
Guru

senses all combined batteries as one and therefore under charges one bank and overcharges the other.

Brooksle is right , there is NO problem as the charged batts take very little and the empty buckets take most of what you can produce.

14.4V fills them all up .

The only time a separate system might be of use is with a huge house bank, and a 200A -300A alternator that has a smart regulator that can monitor battery temperature.

Too costly for most so seldom seen , tho it will cut charge times.

For most folks a SOC meter will extend battery life far better than any charging goodie.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:34 AM   #9
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
When combining all the batteries...the only way they ALL get topped of is if they are charged long enough...and there lies the problem. Especially if there are significant voltage differences and bank capacities.

If you typically motor for 4-8 hours a day and run some kind of charging for hours when at dock/anchor whether solar, wind, genset, dock power...the batts usually get topped of and you are fine.

If you don't keep charging them the other 16-20 hours a day...then yes...you could be constantly undercharging a bank in a combined situation.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #10
Guru

Talk about responsive! I dropped an e-mail to customer service this weekend. Here is a copy of my correspondence. It's almost like dealing with Xantrex-----Not!

Yes this is 130Amp rating per alternator so you will be all set.

Lucas Landry
Technical Customer Care
llandry@pmariner.com

ProMariner™
200 International Dr. STE 195
Portsmouth, NH 03801

Main: 603-433-4440
Fax: 603-433-4442
Direct: 603-766-7610

ProMariner Home Page

This E-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed.

It may also be legally privileged. If you are not the addressee you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please delete it and all copies from your system and notify the sender immediately by return E-mail. Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely secure, error or virus-free.

The sender does not accept liability for any errors or omissions.

Sent: Monday, March 11, 2013 10:31 AM
To: Support
Subject: Re: Professional Mariner

Thanks for the prompt reply. I will be charging my starting bank of 2 group 31s. and the house bank of 2 8Ds. All are AGM. I would like it to combine the 2-80 amp alternators and automatically charge the bank that needs it. Would the 130 model take a combined 160 amp charge?

Thank you.

Don Moon
Yes this is 130Amp rating per alternator so you will be all set.

Lucas Landry
Technical Customer Care
llandry@pmariner.com

ProMariner™
Portsmouth, NH 03801

ProMariner Home Page

This E-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed.

It may also be legally privileged. If you are not the addressee you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please delete it and all copies from your system and notify the sender immediately by return E-mail. Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely secure, error or virus-free.

Sent: Monday, March 11, 2013 10:31 AM
Subject: Re: Professional Mariner

Thanks for the prompt reply. I will be charging my starting bank of 2 group 31s. and the house bank of 2 8Ds. All are AGM. I would like it to combine the 2-80 amp alternators and automatically charge the bank that needs it. Would the 130 model take a combined 160 amp charge?

Thank you.

Don Moon
donmoonbld@aol.com

-----Original Message-----
To: donmoonbld
Sent: Mon, Mar 11, 2013 9:04 am
Subject: RE: Professional Mariner

If you are trying to charge your house bank using either alternator or both alternators. I would suggest using the ProIso Charge130 2-4 Part # 23127. You can just leave the fourth stud alone with no connection and you will be all set. As long as these are both inboard motors and this is for a 12v system. Have a good day.

Lucas Landry
Technical Customer Care
llandry@pmariner.com

ProMariner™
Portsmouth, NH 03801

ProMariner Home Page

Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2013 11:38 AM
Subject: Professional Mariner

submitted by donmoonbld
fax:

I have twin engines both with 80 amp alternators. 3 battery banks. What Proisocharge unit do you recommend for my set up. The alternators are Yanmar model# 45180-032 and a Charles 60 amp charger when 115 volt supply is available.

-----Original Message-----
To: donmoonbld <donmoonbld@aol.com>
Sent: Mon, Mar 11, 2013 9:04 am
Subject: RE: Professional Mariner

If you are trying to charge your house bank using either alternator or both alternators. I would suggest using the ProIso Charge130 2-4 Part # 23127. You can just leave the fourth stud alone with no connection and you will be all set. As long as these are both inboard motors and this is for a 12v system. Have a good day.

Lucas Landry
Technical Customer Care
llandry@pmariner.com

ProMariner™
Portsmouth, NH 03801

ProMariner Home Page

Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2013 11:38 AM
Subject: Professional Mariner

submitted by donmoonbld

I have twin engines both with 80 amp alternators. 3 battery banks. What Proisocharge unit do you recommend for my set up. The alternators are Yanmar model# 45180-032 and a Charles 60 amp charger when 115 volt supply is available.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #11

City: St. Catharines
Vessel Name: Delia Rosa
Vessel Model: C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse
We have a Promariner Pronautic 1250p 50 Amp 3 Bank Battery Charger we installed May 2012... it works a treat!
Delia Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #12

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: M/V Knot Knormal
Vessel Model: President 41
To answer your original question, yes we have one installed since last spring and are very happy with the results. Is combines out 2 53-amp alternators and charges all three banks (start, house and generator start) while underway. It was the easiest way to combine the two alternators and distribute the charge effectively that I could find.

Marty.......................
MartySchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #13
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
Thanks for all the feedback folks. I ordered the two alternator version. If it has problems I will update the thread.
Dave
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:58 AM   #14
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post
........... Doesn't the low voltage bank accept more amps (charge harder) BECAUSE it's voltage is lower whereas the higher voltage bank accepts less amps BECAUSE it is at a higher voltage. At any rate, I have never had a problem parralleling banks while charging. Please correct me if in error.
You are correct. More current flows to the more discharged battery.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #15
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
I have a discontinued TruePower 2000 Inverter from them. I have not really run it too often, but the design is nice. However, if I would judge them negatively about anything (other than Don's weird email exchange) is that their website really sucks.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #16
Guru

Yeah, I ordered the Proiso Charge. This should complete my set up. This makes it unnecessary to add a larger alternator. With this along with the 3 stage regulator, SOC meter and Charles 60 amp charger it seems to be adequate.

There was contemplation about adding another 255 amps to the house battery bank, but don't think that will happen. Whatever power is consumed has to be replaced anyway, so as long as the 510 amps present are not drawn below 50% there would be no real advantage. When this is installed, we will see how it goes.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #17
Guru

The ProIsocharge was received yesterday. I will install it when next at the boat in about 3 weeks. It will get a good work out on a Bahamas cruise.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #18
Guru

Just ordered two more pieces to complete my charging set up. 2 smart regulators with slow start up to protect belts and temp sensors for alternators and batteries. With the multistage charging and combining of the two 80 amp alternators plus battery isolation, this should be the complete system.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #19
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Just ordered two more pieces to complete my charging set up. 2 smart regulators with slow start up to protect belts and temp sensors for alternators and batteries. With the multistage charging and combining of the two 80 amp alternators plus battery isolation, this should be the complete system.
Sounds perfect, Don. Tell me more about the slow startup. Is that a setting available on the smart voltage regulator? I have a Balmar ASR-614 waiting to be installed with my new 120A alternator, but haven't studied the manual yet. Is this the same as 'belt load manager'?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #20
Guru

Al, your Balmar regulator should have the slow start up feature. It just brings the amperage up over a few seconds to load the belt more slowly. It should save the belt from dusting.

I bought the sterling smart regulator because I could keep my alternators and internal regulators as back ups. If the Sterling fails it will revert to the onboard regulators

Advanced Alternator Regulator