Anyone use an ACR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I probably won't have many questions for you.
That's too bad.

I welcome misunderstandings getting cleared up, especially when I am shown to be wrong. That's how we all increase our knowledge.

Since I don't even know which specific issues we disagree on, we can't even find out whether one of us is wrong, or perhaps both of us just failed to communicate clearly.

Blue Seas does have more sophisticated ACRs that the sales literature says: "Automatically Manages the Charging of (2) Battery Banks" whereas the simple ACR just says that it combines the two banks. Your guess is as good as mine as to what the quoted statement really means.
The marketing department is doing their job, not stating falsehoods, but implying more sophistication, that their device is in control of more factors than is actually the case.

The voltage continues to rise to about 14.5 volts and the current drops off to the 20-30 amp range. Then the regulator finally kicks off and goes into float mode and holds in the mid 13 volts.
That is long before the 100% Full point that you'd want for good longevity with a lead bank. Often 2-3 hours longer, even with a high-CAR chemistry like AGM.

A better quality charge source should be Absorb hold time adjustable, so that it does not drop to Float until the endAmps condition spec'd by the mfg of the House bank.

For some that would be trailing amps of .005C, for a 440AH bank means current falling to around 2-1/2A.

For others it means waiting at AbsorbV for trailing amps to hold steady with no change for a full hour.

Obviously not practical when burning fuel for the sole purpose of bank charging, but ideally happening at least a few times per week.

Again, this issue has nothing to do with ACRs.

If the starting battery were significantly discharged when the foregoing occurs it might put enough low impedence in the circuit to drive the voltage down. If it goes below 12.8 or so the combiner will kick off. This cycle will be repeated 2-3 times until the start battery builds up enough charge so that the combiner stays combined and both batteries build up charge until the regulator switches to float
Perhaps you meant House rather than Starter, since the former will nearly always reach Full **many hours** before the latter.

The condition you describe can result in "chatter" which is why more expensive / modern ACRs include a timer function, not changing state more frequently than a certain time period.

I hope that you all can see that the actions of the combiner/ACR are entirely based on the voltage it sees, nothing else.
I'm sure that central point has been made clear to all by now.

a Yandina or one of the simple Blue Seas ACRs.

Blue Seas does have more sophisticated ACRs
What you accurately describe is true for every ACR / VSR / combiner ever created.

The ACR does NOT sense the SOC of the house bank in this scenario.
No ACR has any ability to "sense" SoC of any battery.

Calculating SoC is a huge challenge and even the best meters costing hundreds of dollars are usually off by many % most of the time.

No SoC meter is accurate enough to be trusted with controlling the charging process.

If anyone wants to discuss those latter OT points, let's start a new thread.

Many say not to use a 1/2/B/Off switch. I suggest that they can be used just fine, if wired correctly.
If the captain has perfect memory, always remembers to isolate Starter from House every time charging has stopped.

That is the problem an ACR solves.

But you are right, 1/2/B switches are often wired wrong, but there are other threads dedicated to the many complexities of that issue.

A recent post from CMS / MaineSail

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2051340410

Last edited:
Yes, the house bank is the primary bank
Just semantics here, but "primary" means Starter in 99% of ACR related writing, from marketing to manuals. House is often called "accessory" if not secondary.

The banks are only combined when the house, or primary bank, has reached the combine voltage.
They are combined when the circuit **at the point the ACR is sensing** reaches that voltage. Yes maybe picking nits, but...

If yours isn't behaving this way, then something is amiss in your system.
Aside from little issues like that, I do not see any conflict between our descriptions of the process.

By the way there are significant differences between the 9112 (I have several with the manuals, and keep buying any I come across on eBay) and more modern versions.

But none of those differences, nor variations in setpoints, have any bearing on the discussion here.

and that is where the charge source is wired to. I mentioned that you can eff it up and wire the charge source to the starter bank and then you might get the behavior John was talking about, but also as I said that would be defeating the point of the device.
As I mentioned, you have not clearly stated what point you were disagreeing with, so I don't know what "behavior" you are referring to.

"and that is where the charge source is wired to" should have an "ideally" in there. 99% of dual-bank boats leave Alt directly wired to Starter, and **all** dual-sense bi-directonal ACRs (the vast majority these days) work **perfectly** fine in that situation, only remaining issue being ampacity rating and features like start-isolating, self-jumpstarting, remote display, setpoint adjustability etc

The exception is single-sensing or one-way devices like Echo Charger, the functionality of those would indeed require paying attention to amp rates and direction of current flow.

Last edited:
....This voltage is coming from the charging source, not the primary bank.

Um, no. the charging source and the primary bank will necessarily be at the same voltage when connected (unless you use very skinny wire!).

Note I am not disputing the main points here.
That is what drives the voltage to hit 14.5 or so, then the regulator switches to float and drops to about 13.5.
A quality regulator, whether solar, mains or alt VR, will hold Absorb voltage for a long time, ideally as needed until the batt is 100% full, before dropping to Float.

If a high-amp charge source behaves as you describe, the bank could be at 75% SoC or even lower, and Float voltage won't be enough "pressure" to finish the job even over 10+ hours.

Premature infloatulation is the cause of at least as much early bank murders out there, as drawing Soc down too low, and with a large / expensive bank IMO is worth upgrading over as soon as the problem is identified.

Again, none of which has anything to do with operation of an ACR.

Last edited:
why an ACR may not combine the batteries as soon as the engine is started up.
It is not designed to. First off, a good VR will wait until the engine is warmed up, or at least fully lubricated before activating field current ("slow start")

This voltage is coming from the charging source, not the primary bank. A fully charged battery will be around 12.6(?) volts, but the alternator will put out close to 14v. It is the voltage from that alternator, or other charging source, which triggers the combiner.
Actually, and again, the **circuit** voltage, which ideally is very similar at all points, is not determined by any one participant, but is a "negotiated compromise" between all the batteries and active charge source(s) on the circuit.

The larger the bank and more depleted, and higher CAR its chemistry, the more it's "trying" to pull voltage down.

The higher the current output of the charge source, the greater its "influence" in getting voltage up to Absorb quickly.

So with a small FLA bank only 10% depleted being charged by a high-output 500A alt setup, combining will happen very quickly, often under a minute.

A very large high-CAR AGM bank at 50%, being charged by a stock 80A alt it may take a few hours before voltage is high enough for combining.

I think perhaps this issue above may explain some of the confusion here, even though it is not really anything to do with "how ACRs work".

At 27.2 volts, or thereabouts, the banks would be combined, but at that point the house bank was 90% charged.
OK now maybe we're getting somewhere.

If you're talking % of AH absorbed or even SoC, that may be true.

But if talking about % of charging **time** from 50% SoC to true 100% Full (as defined by the bank mfg), at that point you are lucky to be halfway done.

Is that distinction one of the issues causing your disagreeing with me, or misinterpreting what I'm saying?

So, lets say you have a fairly depleted start battery (lots of cranking), use the ACR, and the house had just finished its bulk phase charge regimen from another source (lets say solar with a smart regulator). The ACR switches in start battery a short time after engine start, obviously now the same voltage as the house. All the carefully controlled charging voltages and timings are now out the window for the house? The house is now likely discharging into the start battery, at least for a while. And, I've got two independant chargers runnning into both banks. Do we need a automatic method of killing the solar? Is this typically done?

Nope, no problems there at all in real life.

Voltage equalizes very quickly, and the "surge issue" is such a short time even a low ampacity ACR won't be damaged.

Now, if there were a large LFP bank in the mix, I'd use bigger gauge wiring, the best ACR

https://www.bluesea.com/products/7620/ML-ACR_Automatic_Charging_Relay_-_12V_DC_500A

and test worse-case scenarios, watch out for connections getting overheated.

But really a DC-DC charger is more appropriate in that scenario.

...Perhaps you meant House rather than Starter, since the former will nearly always reach Full **many hours** before the latter....

Why? Not clear to me. House bank at 50%, starter bank at perhaps 95% when the charging process starts. Just trying to understand this.

Why? Not clear to me. House bank at 50%, starter bank at perhaps 95% when the charging process starts. Just trying to understand this.
Good catch! Brain fart, substitute "after" for "before".

Damn, there goes any credibility :cool:

Good catch! Brain fart, substitute "after" for "before".

Damn, there goes any credibility :cool:

That’s good. For a second there I thought I’d lost all understanding of these matters.

OK, some real world observations as I've been anchored out and recorded some info at and after start-up.

But first, I have Odyssey PC-1800FT AGM batteries for house and start. Six for house (1284 Ah) and one for each engine start (P & S). Two x 200 A Leece Neville alternators with a Balmar 612 reg. Victron Quattro inverter /charger and Blue Power Panel. Blue Seas ML ACR's

Rest: Bank -428 Ah. Voltages - House 12.12, P 12.74, S 12.76 ACR's on Auto, nothing parallel

T 0. Start: engine idle for a minute. Charge rate 260 A. P & S go into parallel

T +1 min Engines to 1000 rpm (not in gear): charge rate 347 A. Within a couple of minutes House is parallel to start bats. Bank at -419 Ah. House 13.58 V

T+5mins: Voltages - House 13.37, start 13.45 Charge rate down to 280 A. Engines 1200 rpm in gear

T+25 min: Voltages House13.53, start 13.61 Bank -351AH Engines 1600 rpm cruise.

T +45 min: Voltages House 13.8, start 13.9

The House voltage climbs slowly but steadily as I cruise home. The start batteries stay approx 0.1V higher than the house bank the whole time.

I'll leave the marine to anchor out again in a couple of days and try and record discharge behaviour of ACR's

Great to see real data. The house got pretty low, eh?

Well, House capacity is 1284 Ah, so quite a bit left in it I believe even with the rest voltage I recorded. I've taken it to below -850 Ah a couple of times but haven't noted the voltage. I must remember to do that next time!

The Odyssey AGM's can apparently go down to 20% remaining (80% DoD) and still have relatively high number of cycles life. Even so, life is likely better with only 50% DoD. With the high charge rates from the engine alts, and 2070 W of solar the house gets fully charged most days, and that should benefit their longevity.

Last edited:
OK, some real world observations as I've been anchored out and recorded some info at and after start-up.

But first, I have Odyssey PC-1800FT AGM batteries for house and start. Six for house (1284 Ah) and one for each engine start (P & S). Two x 200 A Leece Neville alternators with a Balmar 612 reg. Victron Quattro inverter /charger and Blue Power Panel. Blue Seas ML ACR's

Rest: Bank -428 Ah. Voltages - House 12.12, P 12.74, S 12.76 ACR's on Auto, nothing parallel

T 0. Start: engine idle for a minute. Charge rate 260 A. P & S go into parallel

T +1 min Engines to 1000 rpm (not in gear): charge rate 347 A. Within a couple of minutes House is parallel to start bats. Bank at -419 Ah. House 13.58 V

T+5mins: Voltages - House 13.37, start 13.45 Charge rate down to 280 A. Engines 1200 rpm in gear

T+25 min: Voltages House13.53, start 13.61 Bank -351AH Engines 1600 rpm cruise.

T +45 min: Voltages House 13.8, start 13.9

The House voltage climbs slowly but steadily as I cruise home. The start batteries stay approx 0.1V higher than the house bank the whole time.

I'll leave the marine to anchor out again in a couple of days and try and record discharge behaviour of ACR's

Brian, sounds like yours is wired so that the house bank is the reserve bank, meaning all charging sources are wired to the starter batteries. Under that scenario, the starter bank reaches combine voltage quickly because it isn't generally depleted all that much, and the charge current is massive given the size of the starter bank, so the circuit closes quickly and the house and start banks are combined, which sounds like what you are describing.

With a large house bank, the alternative is to connect the charging sources to the house bank, then the combine doesn't happen until the house bank reaches the combine voltage and that may take some time. That is how mine is wired, with never any chatter. IMO, the advantage of this is that when you make the starter bank the primary bank with the house the reserve, when you turn off the charging source, you deplete the starter bank until the open voltage is reached, then the banks are isolated and the house bank handles the load from then on. But at that point, your starter bank has been drawn down a bit, and with no particular advantage since it isn't big enough to handle the house loads for long anyway.

I guess the question is which bank do you want charged first when underway or running a genset. For me, that is the house bank, since the house bank is the one I rely on for ship's loads and since I only use the starter battery to start the engine, it can wait to be topped up until after the house is nearly full. The total charge time however you do it is going to be the same, but wired as mine is, the starter bank lasts a very long time since it is never really taxed.

Delfin
Thanks for comments. Yes, if it is wired the way you describe then it would explain the ACR chatter. Good insight! I'm back home now so will have to check when next on the boat. I'd prefer it the other way around, like you.

Further info re: voltages quoted., which are from a Blue Seas Digital voltmeter that has a 3 position switch (House bank, Port and Starboard staart batts). When back at the marina and plugged in to shorepower I noticed that this voltmeter read 14.05 for the house. Whereas the Blue Power Panel, which is connected to the Victron Battery Controller by a VE.Net ethernet cable, was showing 14.3 for the house bank. This is 0.25V higher than the Blue Seas voltmeter, which may be connected to the RBS relays, further away from the battery bank. I expect that the Blue Power Panel gives the correct voltage.

What this likely means is the the rest voltage I quoted above is probably 0.25v higher. ie 12.37v. This might better represent the SOC of the house bank, giving a higher SoC than DiverDave inferred from the lower voltage, and aligned with Ah used versus bank capacity.

Always something to learn and check!

Last edited:
Delfin
Thanks for comments. Yes, if it is wired the way you describe then it would explain the ACR chatter. Good insight! I'm back home now so will have to check when next on the boat. I'd prefer it the other way around, like you.

Further info re: voltages quoted., which are from a Blue Seas Digital voltmeter that has a 3 position switch. When back at the marina and plugged in to shorepower I noticed that this voltmeter read 14.05 for the house. Whereas the Blue Power Panel, which is connected to the Victron Battery Controller by a VE.Net ethernet cable, was showing 14.3 for the house bank. This is 0.25V higher than the Blue Seas voltmeter, which may be connected to the RBS relays, further away from the batter bank. I expect that the Blue Power Panel gives the correct voltage.

What this likely means is the the rest voltage I quoted above is probably 0.25v higher. ie 12.37v. This might better represent the SOC of the house bank, a bit higher then DiverDave inferred from the lower voltage and aligned with Ah used versus bank capacity.

Always something to learn and check!

One important point with these devices is that they sense voltage from both banks via the A and B terminals. Meaning you could have the alternator wired to the starter bank and shore power or genset charger wired to the house bank. If either reaches combine voltage, the circuit closes. When the voltage reaches the open voltage the circuit opens. Not sure why you would want to do that, but the point is that it is the end point for the charging source that should be considered when setting these up, and as discussed, it seems to make the most sense to connect the charging sources to the bank you use the most, leaving the other as the reserve "start the engine" bank.

I've just looked at the boat's electrical schematics and they show the alternators, solar and shore power as being connected to the house bank. No genny, just a little Honda that can be plugged into the shorepower inlet if required. But I need to check the actual wires on board to be certain the house bank is connected as drawn.

Just semantics here, but "primary" means Starter in 99% of ACR related writing, from marketing to manuals. House is often called "accessory" if not secondary.

The words "primary" and "accessory" and "secondary" do not occur in Blue Sea ACR manuals, so I have no idea where you get that idea.

I've just looked at the boat's electrical schematics and they show the alternators, solar and shore power as being connected to the house bank. No genny, just a little Honda that can be plugged into the shorepower inlet if required. But I need to check the actual wires on board to be certain the house bank is connected as drawn.
Interesting. I suspect the physical reality may be different. I think the only way the batteries would combine if the charging source is connected to the house bank would be if the house bank reached the combine voltage in the minute you said it took for the combine to take place. That doesn't sound right to me.

Easy to check. Put the ACR into never combine, check the starter bank voltage when connected to shore power. If it is being charged, you have your answer. Same answer with running the engine and charging via alternator. Now if you have both banks indicating charging under those conditions, then the ACR is being bypassed. Not likely, but perhaps worth checking.

The words "primary" and "accessory" and "secondary" do not occur in Blue Sea ACR manuals, so I have no idea where you get that idea.
https://www.google.com/search?q=primary+battery+secondary+OR+accessory+ACR+OR+VSR+OR+combiner

As you spend more time learning you will find that yes Blue Sea is wonderful, but there are dozens of manufacturers of such devices, plus the earlier "isolators", mostly diode-based and then DC-DC chargers most recently.

In my results, near the top is a Blue Sea white paper on avoiding relay chatter

https://www.bluesea.com/support/art...ensitive_Relays_and_Automatic_Charging_Relays

Here also is a great post from Maine Sail http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2342015

Last edited:
Interesting. I suspect the physical reality may be different. I think the only way the batteries would combine if the charging source is connected to the house bank would be if the house bank reached the combine voltage in the minute you said it took for the combine to take place.
Again, it is not the bank voltage that is relevant. In a correctly wired setup, the voltage of the whole circuit, including the charge sources should all be the same or at least very close.

And has been pointed out many many times now just in this thread, that voltage can very quickly rise above the combine setpoint irrespective of any battery's SoC.

If that takes three minutes rather than two, very often that is due to the programmed delay built into the ACR in order to prevent chatter.

the white paper proves what I said about chattering in post #54 and wiring banks of batteries so there is no voltage drop isnt always realistic..

have at it... but hope most people dont think that tech speak means that the average cruiser really needs to know it, just what is practical for them.

Yes also with your #57.

Pretty clear all credible sources are in agreement, I doubt there are any more misunderstandings that need clearing up.

If I'm wrong, posters please try to state your issue clearly, exactly what it is you disagree with / are confused about.

the white paper proves what I said about chattering in post #54
While some poorly designed "combiners" can actually chatter, because they have no delays, there is a difference between relay cycling and relay chattering. While it may seem like semantics chattering and cycling are actually different.

A chattering relay can actually cause damage to the contacts. Relay cycling will just cause slower charging and cycle the relay on and off more than is necessary, and more than you would see in a properly wired system. The current Blue Sea ACR's have built in delay logic that prevent "chattering" and help to minimize relay cycling.

Unfortunately far too many ACR's etc., on cruising boats are incorrectly installed by feeding the smaller starting bank first. This is made even worse if solar or wind with low charge current are used, and also fed to the start bank first. In a case like this the house bank may take a much longer time before it can get charged due to relay cycling. The higher the available charge current is the less cycling will occur but on a cruising boat feeding start first is not a solid choice.

Unfortunately Blue Sea provides no instructions with most of their ACR's, for properly wiring cruising boats, unless you really dig for it. They show wiring for banks of similar sizes so DIY's often wire an ACR incorrectly on a cruisng boat because Blue Sea has failed them in the instructions department.

These are the only two boiler plate statements in the 7610SI instructions that suggest doing anything other than the very poor, for a cruising boat, wiring choices they show in the instructions. I tried to be realistic about the "instructions" and tried to match the font size they use in the instructions..

Open/Close Cycling
• If your electrical system is configured with a charging source that cannot supply the full load current being drawn from the receiving batteries, an open/close cycling process can occur. If this cycling continues, the second battery bank could eventually discharge even though a charge source is present.

and

"These installation diagrams show typical applications only. Your application may differ. For further information, please go to www.bluesea.com and navigate to Resources/Application Briefs and Technical Briefs."

I don't have time to hit all the points or confusion in this thread but perhaps can cover a few of them.

#1 The Blue Sea ACR's use time delay logic for both combine and un-combine to avoid "relay chatter" but this may not always stop "relay cycling", especially if the ACR is installed incorrectly for the application and the source charge current is low.

#2 The Blue Sea ACR also monitors voltage trends. It does this to help minimize relay cycling. For example if battery voltage sensed at either the A or B terminal should be pulled down to 12.35V or below the relay logic looks at the voltage trend to determine what action to take. If it does not attain 12.35V within 10 seconds it unparallels the banks or "opens" the relay. If it detects a voltage rise above 12.35V and attains 12.75V within 30 seconds it will remain closed and keep the batteries in parallel. If still going down, after 12.35V or lower is detected, it will then open up fairly rapidly (within 10 seconds). If voltage is trending up but it does not attain 12.75V within 30 seconds it will open.

#3 Combine voltages of the Blue Sea ACR are above the full charge resting voltage of a 12V battery. With 13.0V or 13.6V applied to the battery terminals current can only flow INTO the banks not out of the banks.

The Blue Sea ACR will combine / parallel the banks at 13.0V for 90 seconds or 13.6V for 30 seconds. Any time the battery terminal voltage is above the batteries SOC voltage, current can only flow in one direction, and that is into the battery.

The idea that a start battery or house battery can drain into one another, with an ACR, is not possible other than for 10 seconds or 30 seconds maximum. It takes voltage differentials to move current between batteries and the the energy that can move between the batteries in 10 seconds at 12.35V or 30 seconds at 12.75V in beyond minuscule.

#4 In almost every installation, on a cruising boat with disparate sized battery banks, charge sources current should feed the house bank first & not the start bank. This prevents relay cycling because it allows the larger house bank to attain the combine voltage before combining with the much smaller, and almost always nearly fully charged, start battery.

#5 Feeding house first also results in faster charging & better voltage sense accuracy of the house bank. When you avoid relay cycling, the house bank charges faster. With less voltage drop between the charge source and the house battery pos terminal, that comes from not sticking a relay, multiple terminals and two more fuses it is path, the charge performance of the house bank is improved.

Why continually pass 100A to 400A+ of charge current across a relay, multiple terminals and two fuses when you only need to pass a few amps across the relay it when you feed house first. By feeding house first the relay is combining with a nearly fully charged start bank that may need only a few amps. The voltage drop when feeding a few amps is minimal to almost none compared to forcing all that charge current through the relay, terminals and fuses and then into the deeply discharged house bank.

#6 Attaining the combine/parallel voltage, even for AGM batteries, should not take a long time provided you are actually charging these batteries properly (see link below). Low current solar and wind will take slightly longer to attain combine voltage parameters (13.0V for 90 seconds) but your start battery, unless something is wrong, should already most likely be at 97-99% SOC, so a little slower combine time, with alternative energy, still beats a batteries self discharge rate and is really no big deal. If your engine has a honking preheater this takes the whole start battery charging design down another path entirely.

For what it is worth a number of years ago I ran an experiment with a 55HP diesel where the alternator was disabled, on purpose. This was done to figure out how many starts one could achieve off the single G-31 "deep cycle" battery. After starting that motor 42 times, I grew tired and gave up. The next morning the resting voltage of the single G-31 "deep cycle", after starting the motor 42 times, had rebounded to a resting OCV of 12.57V..

How Fast Can an AGM Battery Be Charged (LINK)

How-Fast-Can-an-AGM-Battery-be-Charged-21.jpg

Think about this snap shot if you use or are considering a battery combining relay for charge management and are concerned or have been scared off by one of the many myths surrounding these effective and reliable charge management devices.

The myth goes something like this: By using a battery combiner, on AGM batteries, and feeding the alternator or battery chargers directly to the house battery bank first, “It will leave your start battery under charged“.

If you are practicing good battery management, and have even the minimum suggested charge current for an AGM battery (Lifeline recommends a bare minimum of 20% of Ah capacity or .2C) this is simply a non-issue.

In just 2 minutes of charging, at .2C / 20% of Ah capacity beginning from 50% SOC, the AGM battery voltage is already at the “combine level” for a Blue Sea ACR. Once at 13.0V the relay has a delay of 90 seconds before combining/paralleling the banks. So, from 50% SOC with a .2C charge rate, it will take approx 3:30 for the relay to combine with the start battery and begin charging it. 90 seconds of this 3:30 is a built in timer delay in the ACR logic. In other words in just 2 minutes you're house bank is already at the combine/parallel level if charging at .2C with AGM batteries. Bump the charge current to .25 -.4C (where it really should be for AGM's) and the bank is attaining combine voltage almost instantly.

Battery voltage in bulk will rise pretty slowly from the low 13's on but to get to an ACR’s “combine level” is relatively quick and easy, especially if you have your system set up properly. The Echo Charger, Duo Charger and numerous other DC to DC chargers also turn on at similar voltages and those devices require all charge sources to be fed to the house bank in order to work properly.

#7 The current Blue Sea ACR's are "dual sensing" meaning they sense the voltage of either bank and can combine or un-combine based on either the "A" or "B" terminal voltages and delay logic.

Only some the earliest ACR's (circa early 2000's) such as the CL-Link 7600 or 9112 etc., long ago discontinued, could be set up for single bank or dual bank sensing. Some of the earliest models only had a delay on the combine side and would not combine until 13.6V for 30 seconds, and they opened at 12.6V with no or minimal delays. These older models should not be compared to the significantly improved later models such as the ML-ACR or the 7610SI etc.. Current relays all sense both sides, hence the "dual sensing".

#8 The Blue Sea ACR's do not provide a different charge profile to another bank. This is another ACR myth and I don't know where it started? These devices are nothing more than an electronic paralleling switch that combine/parallel banks when charging voltages are present and un-combine when charging voltages are no longer present. The key word here is "parallel". Batteries in parallel are seeing the same voltages minus any slight voltage drop.

#9 Only the larger and more expensive Blue Sea ML-ACR (latching relay capable of 500A continuous) can be used as a manually activated parallel switch. The smaller ACR's such as the 7610SI or the m-ACR can't be used for manually paralleling banks. If you have a 7610SI or an m-ACR keep your manual paralleling battery switch.

#10 Yes I coined the term prematurefloatulation :D for use in my seminars and classes. Students or DIY's seem to really understand what I mean by the term and it has been effective at driving the point home about how critical is is to properly absorb batteries.. Politically correct? probably not...! Dropping to float too early, or prematurefloatulation, is a chronic issue in the charging industry of not adequately absorbing a battery before dropping to a float voltage.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom