Old 02-07-2014, 08:36 PM   #21
Guru

City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
The E-80 has Seatalk 2 which is also the same as NMEA 2000 just a different connector for the most part. In that model there might be some NMEA 2000 compatibility issues as Raymarine may not support all the NMEA 2000 PGNs.

Tom

tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:09 PM   #22
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
When I had the same problem you described on my set up, It was working fine & then it wasn't. I'am sure I never went into the menu and changed anything. The only thing that may of happened was killing the power to all the DC circuits while working on something else & it possible went back to a default setting. I went back & checked all the soldered connections they were good nothing even suspect. Then I read the info in the manual again and decided to check the ports and baud rates that is when I found that the baud rate wasn't correct, I set it and all was good again. If it worked once your color code was correct, the only things left would be a suspect connection, the baud rate or failed component. SH has checked out the radio so the only thing left will be the data wire connections that you have to do when the radio is returned to you. Make certain the baud is correct so they can talk to each other and then if it doesn't work the Ray unit becomes suspect. If a friend happens to have the same Ray unit try to borrow it as a test. Good luck

Old 02-07-2014, 10:11 PM   #23
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
SeaTalk: Same as NMEA 0183
To keep things accurate, the above isn't true.

SeaTalk is a three wire connection - they add an extra power line to allow devices to be powered directly from SeaTalk under some watt specification.

Datawise, the data/ground cable are electrically NMEA 183 but the 1/0 voltages are swapped. So the result is that you can never just plug a normal NMEA 183 device into a SeaTalk one without something very simple inbetween to flip the bits. Raymarine has a box that does this and some multiplexers will do it too.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:52 PM   #24

City: Western WA
AIS to E-80

Capt Kangeroo

After pondering over this problem (I recently installed a AIS transceiver to E-120, E-80 with Seatalk Hs and had my own issues, but working fine now) I missed the fact that your Horizon 2150AIS does not have it's own GPS receiver and thus needs the E-80 MFD position data in order to plot AIS targets. Of course this may very well be the problem since the E-80 has only one NMEA port to shuttle AIS from the Horizon 2150AIS to the E-80 and GPS data from the E-80 to the Horizon 2150AIS. But in looking at the Standard Horizon website they now sell the GX2200 that has it's own GPS receiver and antenna making this issue a non issue........ I think. Not sure if you can return the 2150 for an upgrade, but you might consider it if the problem isn't fixable. Having the AIS targets on the bigger E-80 screen is quite useful if you ask me. as The latest Raymarine for E Series Classic v5.69 (download off Raymarine website) is mostly dedicated to AIS integration and options.

Hope you can get it to work.

SteveH
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:01 AM   #25
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
To keep things accurate, the above isn't true.

SeaTalk is a three wire connection - they add an extra power line to allow devices to be powered directly from SeaTalk under some watt specification.

Datawise, the data/ground cable are electrically NMEA 183 but the 1/0 voltages are swapped. So the result is that you can never just plug a normal NMEA 183 device into a SeaTalk one without something very simple inbetween to flip the bits. Raymarine has a box that does this and some multiplexers will do it too.
Thanks. It's been a few years since I use Raymarine equipment....

Someone mentioned SeaTalk2. I don't recall how that fits in.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:41 PM   #26
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kangeroo View Post
As an afterthought, I just realized that the nmea into the radio is 4800 baud and the AIS port "out" from the radio and AIS port "in" to the E-80 is 38K baud. This may explain the different level of activity seen by my meter.
NMEA IN/OUT on the E-80 and on the GX2150 must both be set to 38400 baud. According to Raymarine "Standard NMEA Messages (at 38400 baud ) are received/processed when in AIS 38400 mode" so all applicable NMEA sentences should be understood on both devices.

Standard Horizon published a paper entitled "NEW FEATURES OF MATRIX AIS+ GX2150" where they explain in detail the connection between the GX2150 and RayMarine C and E Series equipment. The second connection example should apply to your installation.

http://www.standardhorizon.com/downloadFile.cfm?FileID=6388&FileCatID=86&FileName =GX2150%20Updates%20Final%2002%2E14%2E11.pdf&FileC ontentType=application/pdf

Just some other random thoughts:

On the E-80, is the AIS Layer ON?

Does the AIS Status show the "No AIS" icon?

Finally, I ran across this post from another forum in 2009: "i have a problem with a new E80 display which have set up for AIS. It works fine, however, periodically the E80 reboots itself, Did the usual simple tests. such as running the E80 at the dock with ALL other electricals OFF. A tech. came out form the local supplier and what he told me was that the E80 is rebooting when it gets bad AIS messages from ships. According to him, Raymarine knows about the problem and is working on it."

Maybe a firmware update could help. Just clutching at straws here.

Hopefully it will turn out to be something simple.

Best of luck,

Larry
m/v Boomarang
LarryM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #27

City: Western WA
Larry M

Good ideas concerning AIS settings on the E-80. Regarding the rebooting issue, the software update from August 2009 v5.52 for E Series Classic is supposed to fix the problem of "reboot after 45 minutes of inactivity"..... so maybe if someone is using earlier software, this might address the random rebooting...??? Raymarine does not make it easy to upgrade E Series Classic devices. Downloading the update from their website is easy enough, but you have to "populate" a CF card with a CF card reader (not too bad, I got mine on ebay) but they claim you need to use a CF card no larger than 256 MB and it should be a SanDisk card. I was able to get my cards on ebay as well and reformatted them to DOS and everything went pretty well. Waypoints and routes need to be save to another CF card of the same size and make before the upgrade begins because they'll all be deleted after the upgrade. The latest software upgrade is v5.69 which fixes everything addressed in previous updates and is said to vastly improve AIS performance.

SteveH
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #28

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
Well I think I/we may have identified the problem, a big fat cigar and a cold beer goes out to Larry & Steve. Ah, what the hell, big fat cigars and cold beers to all.

At the start of all this I did check the E80 for software upgrades but upon noting mine was AIS compatible and did initially work fine, I did not explore this avenue any further. Shame on me. As I am not at the boat, I can't check my software version however it is a 2009 model. I see that when Ray introduced this unit it was not originally AIS compatible, this was added in 2006 (v3.20) but was only for "Class A" AIS. Sometime in 2009 (v5.52) they then added Class B AIS support.

Such being the case and if my E80 software does not have Class B support, it stands to reason it would ignore Class B data coming from 2150 radio. This may well explain why the radio & E80 worked fine when I first turned them on. The radio was very likely tracking & outputting both Class A & B traffic but of course I was only seeing Class A on the E80. When I turned it back on an hour later, there may have been no (commercial) Class A traffic to see. Viola! the radio appears to work fine but no AIS on the E80.

I did try the system again numerous times over the next few days and still no AIS on the E80 but perhaps there was simply no Class A traffic to see. Either that, or by then I had the wiring and settings so messed up, it really didn't work by then. It all seems logical but perhaps it's only wishful thinking.

When I get back to the boat in March & upgrade the E80 software I'll post back my findings.

http://www.raymarine.com/knowledgeba....cfm?view=3753
Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:14 AM   #29

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
Class A and B have to do with how AIS information is transmitted. You have explained your only AIS source is your Standard Horizon 2150AIS. This is a receiver that can send your plotter NEMA sentences. As a receiver it has no class A or B rating. If it did it would make no difference since all class A and all class B AIS can receive all AIS information. Do yourself a favor and focus on the connection between you radio AIS and your plotter. This comes directly from you radio AIS literature "(Best used with chartplotters offering more than one NMEA port.)"
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:24 AM   #30
Guru

Capt Kangaroo what AIS range did you have the 2150 set to? As I said in a earlier post I had to wait till a tow was within the range I had set to see if everything was working. The max range is 10 nm but it could be set on 1, 2.5 or 5 mm, those are the choices on the 2150 menu. I say this because if the unit was set to a lower range then you could see a commercial target but the 2150 wouldn't see it because it was out of the range set. Good luck
Old 02-10-2014, 11:43 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Class A transmits at 12 watts, Class B at 2. Class B targets are a lot more sensitive to range, obstructions in the line of sight, and poor antenna connections.
Sisuitl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:25 AM   #32
Guru

City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
Ron,

I am pretty sure the range maximum of 10 miles on the 2150 is just a display limitation as I have displayed targets in CE that were 50+ miles away. (Boat was in the driveway at 800 feet MSL). The target probably had a Class A unit as it was an safety tug servicing the oil platforms in the Cook Inlet.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:36 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpbrady View Post
Ron, I am pretty sure the range maximum of 10 miles on the 2150 is just a display limitation as I have displayed targets in CE that were 50+ miles away. (Boat was in the driveway at 800 feet MSL). The target probably had a Class A unit as it was an safety tug servicing the oil platforms in the Cook Inlet. Tom
Thanks for that information, I'll check that out on my unit in a couple of months. I usually ran 5 nm because on the river I don't really need info on anything farther than that.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:47 PM   #34

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
ObThomas, I'm not sure I understand what you are saying but I agree the 2150 is receiving both class A & B targets. I agree also it is sending all this info via nmea to the E80 plotter. However, Raymarine states that the earlier E80 plotter software only supports class A and does not have class B support. I interpret this as there must be some difference in the nmea sentences between class A and B being received by and transmitted from the 2150 to the plotter. Thus the plotter can only display (support) the class A sentences.

I guess it comes down to what Raymarine means by the word "support". But all the plotter does is digest and display the AIS data sent to it. If there is no difference in the nmea sentences, how can the E80 support A but not B?

I hear you on focusing on the AIS connection to the plotter, I feel the same but I tell ya, I've checked the connections and had that wiring harness in & out so many times I can do it in my sleep. I even beeped out each wire from pin to pigtail to ensure continuity on each. If this turns out to be a connection issue I'll fall over dead.

In any case I am out of luck for any further testing until I get the set back and get back to the boat. It would have been nice to have a solution in hand when I got there but alas, it was not meant to be.

Tom raised the point about thinking "total system" and thinking through what you wanted connected to what & why. In my case feeding AIS to the E80 was probably a mistake anyway. It is merely a back up plotter. Properly it should go to my laptop which is what I navigate with and I'm sure the 2150 AIS will play nice with it.
Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:20 PM   #35

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
Capt Kangaroo

Consider this: This is all somewhat out of the ordinary in the connection of GPS, DSC, AIS and a chart plotter

Your GX2100 has no GPS and must therefor get its position as a listener from a NEMA connection this would normally be at a default 4800 baud
Your GX2100 can put AIS information out as a talker but the baud rate must match the listener.
Your GX2100 is also a talker for DSC normally at a 4800 baud rate.

For your one port chart plotter you need to program your GX2150 to talk both DSC and AIS both on a baud rate of 38400. You need to also set both your GPS and GX2100 to a baud rate of 38400 for GPS.

Getting all this right can be an accomplishment.

obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote