Old 07-30-2014, 08:19 PM   #21
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
I just don't get 8ds. For starters, they have the same rating as Group 31s, sometimes less.

Like George said: Huh?

31s usually are around 100 Ah, 8Ds usually around 245 Ah or so. Don't think that's "the same rating."

I'm not defending 8Ds; don't want to lift one anymore. But the "ratings" aren't the same as 3Group 1s.

-Chris

Old 07-30-2014, 09:12 PM   #22
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
The big question for many of us is WHY an 8D?...my Lehman starts just fine on a good Group 24 even in cold weather (15W40 oil) but I did upsize to some goofy rating that's similar to a group 31. But ONLY a single 31 for starting and it's WAY more than enough and bigger than what American Diesel recommended.

On my old sportfish..I had 8Ds for my Cat 3208s but could have easily downsized to 4Ds or even 2xGroup 27s....

So again my question is...if you don't need 8Ds for your engine start batts,,,then why would you have one on boars as there are better alternatives in terms of size and being able to move them around easily?

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:49 PM   #23
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
So again my question is...if you don't need 8Ds for your engine start batts,,,then why would you have one on boars as there are better alternatives in terms of size and being able to move them around easily?
Probably because in many cases, like on GBs, the start batteries are used as house batteries as well. So it's easier to just stick with that than change the stock setup. Especially for people who do not anchor out a lot.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:31 PM   #24
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
My vessel came with 3 8 Ds, one for each diesel. I may be the only guy on the Forum with an 8 D for a genset. No problem getting them installed, good for ballast and last for a very long time. If for any reason the house bank goes kaput I've got a backup through a \\ switch. Mind you I'm not recommending it but love the redundancy and never worry about a dead starting battery.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:48 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
... in many cases, like on GBs, the start batteries are used as house batteries as well. So it's easier to just stick with that than change...
Same on 1980s IG36s,another copied feature(?), plus you need "dual purpose" compromise batteries.
We have what I call a "6D" for the genset, massive starting power for a little 3cyl Onan diesel genset.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:46 AM   #26
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
I take it you have these bad boys?

http://rollsbattery.com/public/specsheets/4KS21P.pdf

If so, you obviously have the height available. You are replacing a 1100ah bank. Have you calculated what you need capacity wise?
I've got 12 of these powering my house. Actually, looking more closely, I have the 4KS25Ps which are their larger brother (1300 Ah). I would NOT recommend them in anything other than a commercial boat. They have huge capacity, but the penalty is a VERY long absorption time to get them back to full charge. Mine take between 3-4 hours to get through absorption. So unless you regularly have long runs under power where you can charge them enough to get back to full charge, they will just sulfate and die. I regret buying them myself, especially considering that they were hugely expensive.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:51 AM   #27
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Mind you I'm not recommending it but love the redundancy and never worry about a dead starting battery.
No reason not to recommend it. I've lost count of the number of genset to main battery parallel switches I've installed. Makes for built in jumper cables. Get back feature in my opinion.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:40 AM   #28
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Let's not totally derail the OPs thread. My guess, pending his floor space dimension, is that the best solution for him will be 6v L16's, since he has plenty of height. Four of those will fit in the space (depending on how they are arranged) of his present batteries and provide around 850ah at 12v, depending on which ones he gets. This is the configuration I used for my inverter bank, quite happily. They are tall and skinny and weigh around 120 lbs. The first set were US Battery HCs which we beat the heck out of, living full time on moorings and the hook. Current set is the largest capacity Trojans, simply because that was what was easily available at a good price locally.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:24 AM   #29
FF
Guru

The L-16 are pricier per amp than the std golf carts and with Hydro Caps installed are really tall!
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:10 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
The L-16 are pricier per amp than the std golf carts and with Hydro Caps installed are really tall!
The OPs current batteries are even taller... 50% taller!. The L16 is a great solution, when you have the height, to get max capacity out of your floor space and minimize the wiring and watering. Buy 'em right and the cost per amp hour is just about the same as the equivalent quality GC from the same mfr.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 08-01-2014, 10:52 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
I take it you have these bad boys?

http://rollsbattery.com/public/specsheets/4KS21P.pdf

If so, you obviously have the height available. You are replacing a 1100ah bank. Have you calculated what you need capacity wise?
Yep, those are the exact batteries I have. Installed in 2000 and have been amazing for 14 yrs. Theyre pooped out now however and it's time to replace.
Just can't get up the nerve to pony up $4500 for all three of them.

I have significantly reduced my power requirements (new fridge only pulls 6 to 12 amps and only runs part of the time vs. old fridge which pulled 24 amps and ran 24/7).
So, I can decrease my house batteries (I think) to 4 of the 8d's.
I appreciate the comments on the golf cart 6v batts. I haven't considered those. Space is not a big issue.
Has anyone purchased the Costco 6V GC batteries? Any experience?
Thank you,
Taras
Taras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:27 PM   #32
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I put in six Costco GC batteries in Jan 2011 and they're still great. That's not a long track record, but my understanding is that they're made by Johnson Controls who also makes Interstate batteries. Both Interstate and Costco use the model number GC2.

I like the Costco price, return policy and wide availability for my boating area.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:52 AM   #33
Guru

Costco batteries are good. You would need eight GC2s to equal 4 8ds; a fair amount of new wiring, not to mention the extra floor space and watering either option requires vs your current units. One reason I suggested L16s. By the way, it looks like 3 new replacements for you current batteries can be had for around $3200...

Surrette Battery - 4 Volts, 1104 Amp-hours

Have you had someone absolutely verify they are indeed dead and not in need of equalization? My back hurts just thinking about that change out!

Old 08-12-2014, 10:53 PM   #34

I've equalized them many times over the years. They just don't seem to have any reserve capacity left.....I'm thinking its time to change them out.
Thank you for the link for Surrette. This is the best price I have seen but I'll need 3 of those and at $3200.00 it's out of my budget.
I haven't researched the L16 battery. I have plenty of height to fit those so I'll check that out.
Thank you!
Taras
Taras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:22 PM   #35

City: Anacortes
Sooner or later you have to move them. See my battery thread from last weekend. Batteries that can be broken down into smaller pieces have a big advantage. Though the AGM golf carts I used were 90 pounds a piece. That's going to be my max single battery size.

ghost is offline   Reply With Quote