Old 09-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #1

Battery Charger Advice

Considering replacing my battery charger this winter for a newer, 3 stage type. Present charger is an older Guest 2630 which, I have been told, is not 3 stage and I need to turn it on and off as necessary. The battery banks are simple, don't need much for our use, that is we don't spend time on the hook or crusing. We fish. They are wet cell. I have two 12 volts in parallel for starting and two 6 volts in series for house bank.

I have a nearly new ProSport 12 by ProMariner with duel bank capability and "distributed-on-demand " technology. Advertised as having Automatic Multi-Stage Chrging. One can "fully charge and extend the life of your batterise with ProSport's multi stage performance charge profiles. Automatically charges and conditions your batteries with a built-in safe maintenance mode for long or short term storage."

Now I have to make a trip to the boat to turn on the charger and than turn it off so as to not overcharge the batteries. Although this Pro Mariner charger is but 12 amps, i could leave it on all the time with out damage to the batteries and since the battery banks are small the 12 amp capability should suffice. The ony thing drawing current on the boat are the bilge pumps, and that is but one under normal conditions.

What are your thoughts on this change? Have I missed anything or should I go ahead and do it? Thanks
Fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Do it.

A 12 amp capacity will be plenty for your situation. Use the dual outputs to wire each bank independently. Use at least 12 gauge wire and make sure that you have a 20 amp fuse at the battery end. Keeping it powered up indefinitely shouldn't hurt anything.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
Guru

I think you can not go wrong with IOTA with the smart charger addition
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
I think you can not go wrong with IOTA with the smart charger addition
+1... Way less money too!
Old 09-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #5

Except this one is free. Doesn't get any less money than that. I took it out of an earlier boat that I had--a twin outboard with just two batteries.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
Guru

City: Here
What are you starting that requires two 12VDC batteries in parallel ?
or alternately just how small are those two batteries ?
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #7

Twin 3208NA cats. Batteries are small to fit the box that held an 8D. Batteries are on the outside of the port engine between the engine and the bulkhead--impossible to get to, so when the 8ds gave up I replaced with batteries I could handle. One of the start batteries will start the engine with about 700CCA but wanted to be safer so have two in parallel for 1400CCA. The six volts in series give me more AHs and still are reasonable size for the house batteries. The down side is one of those failed so lost all house but I was able to lift it out and replace by myself and without special, makeshift, equipment to lift it out. As you know the 8Ds weight about 130 to 150 lbs. These weigh 50-60. The start batteries about 40lb.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:34 PM   #8
Guru

City: Here
I sympathize, I once replaced 4 8D's by myself and I'm a little guy.
I weighed one .... 165lbs. Won't do that again.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
FP,

Sounds like a good plan. While the ProMariner might not be optimum for your banks, it appears to be a significant improvement from what you now have and should extend your battery life.

You can consider an upgrade in the future if the need arises. And you can keep your old charger onboard as a backup.
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #10
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I say try what you've already got. If you're unhappy with it or it craps out then buy something better. This is coming from a guy who sells battery chargers.
I noticed that one of the battery manufacturers were making 1/2 8D batteries. They are sized so that two of them fit in an 8D battery box.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:57 AM   #11
FF
Guru

The newest brain in a power supply/ charger has a new concept.

The charger will bring the batt to the required charge shut off voltage , then shuts down and monitors the batt , no "float" voltage.

This stops the slight water eating overcharge .

As the voltage will drop on an unused batt , every few days the unit will charge again.

Under boat use the unit operates like an old converter, just maintains 12.8 as different loads are switched on & off.

Of course returning to the dock or turning on a noisemaker the unit will sense the requirement for a charge.

Good units will charge a number of DIFFERENT batt styles, AGM for house and wet for engines , whatever.

Look at the better unit$ ,Mastervolt and Charles for modern charging.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:11 AM   #12

FF--I had looked at the modern chargers like you suggested and decided Charles would be a good purchase. However finding my ProMariner on the shelf in my shop I decided to go to the forum for advice before I spent money on a new charger. Thanks to all forl the information.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:18 AM   #13
FF
Guru

I went for the P-M as it was priced right $5.00 at Dania Flea Market and charges 4 independant batts.

As all mine are wet , no problem. It does 2 batts (12 v each) on the 24v engine circuit , and both of the house batts at 12V each.

There was a huge barrel of them at Dania that seemed to be some kind of Mfg recall scrap.

Only hassle I can find is it makes HUGE RFI when in operation .

It also charges somewhat higher to 14.5V before going to float , but distilled water is cheap .

I think its prime market was small fish killers with multiple DC motor batts, that need a higher charge.

So we simply shut it off at night for better radio reception.

DANIA RULES!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote