Old 10-07-2014, 02:14 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
I just looked at their site and Region 12 has all the inland charts for SF and the Delta all the way to Colusa and Stockton.
If you just look at the large boxes, it looks that way, but when you look at the individual charts, you'll see that they go to Suisun Bay at about the furthest point east.

Download the app and see if your results differ.

I have emailed MX Mariner and will post up their reply here.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #22
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Mx5 Mariner
NutiCharts Lite
ActiveCaptain
Marine Traffic
SmartChart AIS

First two are straight up charting programs. The others since they include your position on charts and or satellite imagery can serve as backups in a pinch.

http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #23

City: St James City, Fl
Vessel Name: Sweet Pea
Vessel Model: Nimble Nomad 25' Trawler
I have been using my Samsung Tab2 10.1 tablet for the past two summers to assist in navigating the Bahamas. I have both the Navionics HD and the Jeppsen Plan2Nav. I like them both and the Active Captain feature with the Plan2Nav is handy. Navionics in the last couple of upgrades has added both Govt charts and Sonar charts in addition to the Navionics.
Nimble1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:03 AM   #24

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: Willard 30' Searcher
I down loaded the Navionics, it appears that it will do the trick. Nothing fancy, just a basic chart plotter. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #25
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
If you just look at the large boxes, it looks that way, but when you look at the individual charts, you'll see that they go to Suisun Bay at about the furthest point east.

Download the app and see if your results differ.

I have emailed MX Mariner and will post up their reply here.
I wasn't looking at the map boxes, I was looking at the list of individual chart numbers included in each region and region 12 included the charts all the way to Stockton and Colusa and every thing in between there and SF.

I will try downloading the app sometime this week.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:49 AM   #26
TF Site Team

Quote:
I wasn't looking at the map boxes, I was looking at the list of individual chart numbers included in each region and region 12 included the charts all the way to Stockton and Colusa and every thing in between there and SF.

I will try downloading the app sometime this week.
I got a reply from MX Mariner today:

Al,

Thank you for emailing me. I currently do not have the rights to distribute charts in MX Mariner for that area. However, I am working on expanding chart coverage.

Thanks,

Will

Old 10-10-2014, 08:58 AM   #27
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
I got a reply from MX Mariner today:

Al,

Thank you for emailing me. I currently do not have the rights to distribute charts in MX Mariner for that area. However, I am working on expanding chart coverage.

Thanks,

Will

That's interesting... As far as I know, Will uses only NOAA charts for here in the U.S.; didn't realize there might be a "rights" issue... or that if there is, that it could be area-specific.

-Chris
Old 10-10-2014, 10:54 AM   #28
Guru

Interesting, but that makes zero sense. First, because the charts in question are in the public domain. I didn't think NOAA's Certified Distributor program limited the number of charts. Second, because the are NOAA charts that are extensions of other NOAA charts. Third, because he lists them as part of one of his regions (is he going to take them out of his lists?), that would be blatantly false advertising . I'll see what I can find out as a potential customer, which I am.

Regardless, there is no mention in the RNC Distributor agreement about fees or geographical restrictions:

http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/s...tAgreement.pdf

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 10-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #29
TF Site Team

Can you quote where he lists them? I sure don't see them on my list. Maybe I'm missing something.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:26 AM   #30

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: Willard 30' Searcher
Something isn't running well when using Navionics on the Android it wouldn't keep the boat and map just wouldn't align no matter what. I had good GPS signal. I think what it might be would be the speed I was moving at 6 knots. The map kept changing orientation. I was so glad that I didn't really need it. I am going to contact Navionics to see what the issue was/is
Old 10-18-2014, 02:50 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Can you quote where he lists them? I sure don't see them on my list. Maybe I'm missing something.
Sorry Al, for some reason I just saw your post above.

MX Mariner

Old 10-18-2014, 08:37 PM   #32
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

Odd, the region I downloaded came with all the NOAA charts. I'll download the SF Bay area and see what I get.

You can also load custom chart areas into MX Mariner. I regularly download all the charts I want onto my laptop for use with a number of different software products there. I could probably export the whole thing to MX and only have to get the updates once for both platforms.
The charts may be there. I've noticed with mx mariner that sometimes you have to tell it to go to a different chart zone for it use the correct chart.

Since the beginning I've used MX on my smart phone, as well as Navionics.
On the lap top I use polar navy with $25 gps puck from Amazon.

Navionics did change their pricing scheme a bit by increasing the cost for tablets vice phones, but only about $10 more.
They are the best way to get Canadian charts cheap and when we went to Nova Scotia last summer, Navionics became the secondary after the crappy chart plotter.

For the U.S. polar navy was #1, on the laptop, then MX, then Navionics.

I switched to coastal explorer to use the c maps by Jepp due to cost.

And added a tablet that I also added Navionics, though during the big storm, I think I was using my cell navionics in addition to CE
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:11 AM   #33
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
Something isn't running well when using Navionics on the Android it wouldn't keep the boat and map just wouldn't align no matter what. I had good GPS signal. I think what it might be would be the speed I was moving at 6 knots. The map kept changing orientation. I was so glad that I didn't really need it. I am going to contact Navionics to see what the issue was/is
I had a similar issue. Click the triangle in the lower left corner so the orientation is North Up, not course up. My phone map seems to jump like that when Course Up is selected. It's not an issue with North Up.

Quote:
Sorry Al, for some reason I just saw your post above.

MX Mariner
The list you've linked includes just 2 localized charts in the west delta area...not the entire CA Delta as mentioned in the previous posts and my email to MX Mariner. MX Mariner has told me that they don't have a distribution rights for the maps of the entire delta. I have to take them at their word.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:38 PM   #34
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post

Check with Navionics directly. A friend with the Nexus 7 did an update to her NEW Navionics and she had all kinds of trouble. Turns out she roused a bug in their program. Maybe you have a similar problem.
We have not updated ours yet so didn't get caught, just forewarned.

Worth checking with them.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:32 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
I had a similar issue. Click the triangle in the lower left corner so the orientation is North Up, not course up. My phone map seems to jump like that when Course Up is selected. It's not an issue with North Up.

The list you've linked includes just 2 localized charts in the west delta area...not the entire CA Delta as mentioned in the previous posts and my email to MX Mariner. MX Mariner has told me that they don't have a distribution rights for the maps of the entire delta. I have to take them at their word.
I think we are maybe both confused. I looked at NOAA's list for all RNC Delta maps and the MX list and did not notice anything missing... they had everything all the way to Colusa and Stockton, including the critical 18661 and 18662 charts which cover all the navigable soughs and rivers. The MX list requires you to go all the way through it as it is kind of in random order, Delta charts show up next to San Diego charts...

So now you have me curious, what is missing?

Old 10-19-2014, 08:42 PM   #36
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I just downloaded MXCart from the MX Mariner site. It allows you to make your own regions. Just point it to a folder full of current BSB charts, and let it rip. You may have to leave it overnight or longer, it's very CPU and memory intensive.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #37
TF Site Team

I'll try a reload again and see if it works.