Android Apps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steppen

It looks like it is time for me to finally graduate to an Android smart phone.* The iPhone isn't an option with my cellular carrier.* I would like to ask what marine related, Android apps the assembled forum would recommend?* I am specifically interested in your recommended marine weather, navigation and marina/boating info Android apps for North America.

Thanks in advance.

Steppen wrote:It looks like it is time for me to finally graduate to an Android smart phone.* The iPhone isn't an option with my cellular carrier.* I would like to ask what marine related, Android apps the assembled forum would recommend?* I am specifically interested in your recommended marine weather, navigation and marina/boating info Android apps for North America.
Thanks in advance.

Although not in the area of what you asked for there is an app that I found that can save you a ton of money on anything you buy and is useful at West Marine for price matching.* It is called Red Laser and is a free app.* Once down loaded all you have to do is scan the BAR Code on an item (use the one on the manufactures package not the stores) and Red Laser will tell you where the products is on sell and for how much including Internet sites.

Last week I was in WM and was looking at a new US flag that was made by Taylor.* WM wanted $49.00 for the flag, Red Laser found Mass Marine on line had it for $17.95.* Went home went on line and printed out Mass Marines site page and WM sold the flag for $17.95.

*Works on any product.

Wow that itself is a pretty cool thing.

SD

If the phone can search the web, then you can look up the NOAA weather, charts, AIS, Buoy, and tides.*When out and about I have the AIS*running so*at least I know there the bigger boats/ships are.* At least if we hit something it probable smaller than we are.*
biggrin.gif
*So you do not need an application.****

We bought a Samsung Galaxy Note Pad which runs Droid applications.* The reason we bought it as it can be a Wi-Fi hot spot up to 5 devises for the TV, Printer and two computers. **90% of the time I been using the note pad, except to type long replies as the keypad soft pad sucks.
cry.gif
* However its great for browsing and makes a great E Book reader.***

Also check to see if the phone can be tethered to a PC for inter net connection.* I have a Backberry that a PC can be tethered to but the Balck berry is loosing popularity.*
cry.gif

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Friday 16th of March 2012 08:45:12 AM

Steppen wrote:
It looks like it is time for me to finally graduate to an Android smart phone.* The iPhone isn't an option with my cellular carrier.* I would like to ask what marine related, Android apps the assembled forum would recommend?* I am specifically interested in your recommended marine weather, navigation and marina/boating info Android apps for North America.

Thanks in advance.

*You should PM John Baker, I think he is right up there with Android...

Here are the ones I use on my Droid:
Marine WeatherPro
RadarNow
Marine Traffic (AIS). Not accurate, but fun
NutiCharts Lite
Navionics US East (west available too). Best nav software IMHO. $4.95 I think

Most of the ones listed above are free...

I have Sound Meter lite on my phone.* I am using it to help measure decibel levels as I begin my soundproofing of the engine compartment project.

Keith Olive

Cowiche, WA

Willard 30/4

Navionics and Marine traffic are the most relevant!!! Navionics is awesome!

earthnc

weather underground

noaa smartbuoys

marine traffic

flashlight

alarm clock

activecaptain

soundmeter

pandora

nuticharts

google sky map

advanced task killer