Amp meter installation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You have some better than I guys giving advice so pay attention. Riverguy and CMS....Correct me if I am wrong anyone reading this.

Re: "The Hall effect type meter, as Riverguy suggested, would be fine IF the correct range is picked. I do not believe a 30A unit is anywhere near adequate. Maybe most loads will be under that but it would only take once to possibly damage it."

The device I recommended absolutely cannot, ever, be damaged by overcurrent. This is because the Hall Effect Sensor simply measures the magnetic field around the wire. The output of this thing is measured in millivolts and microamps. The sensor itself is good up to 1,000A, and even that limitation is only there because the size of the ring cannot accomodate a larger gauge wire running through it!

Think of a compass. Put it next to a simple, straight wire carrying 400A of current. Can you "overload" the compass? If you think so, try putting a compass next to the wire feeding your starter motor and crank away... ;-)

Re: "But I still maintain that what you described before, a 30A INTERNAL SHUNT type, is inadequate. You MIGHT get away with it but there is no way I would use it. All it would take is one instance of overload to wreck it and to boot you would lose your electrical. It could catch fire which may be alarmist but it is possible."

No. First off, remember that the meter itself is just a little millivolt meter, connected across a shunt. To "burn out" this 'meter', you have to burn out the shunt.

The I-squared-R math for that 30A shunt (0.00167 ohms) tells us that it will dissipate exactly 16.7 watts at 100A. You would need to be running 100A through it continuously for a long time before that little 16.7 watt 'heater' is going to damage anything except itself. This simply can't happen if the upstream overcurrent protection for the circuit is properly sized -- typically 50A for this circuit. As long as it's wired according to the diagram I showed from Blue Sea System, none of these bad things can happen.

Re: "It is the wrong device in the wrong use. Buy the proper device."

Look back at the O.P and review what Phil wants to accomplish. Assuming it was made by a reputable manufacturer, it is just fine (and proper) for measuring house battery loads on a typical 35 foot powerboat.

Now...there are more modern options (as I've said) that are easier to install...

Getting down into the weeds...it is true that you want to size a shunt-based ammeter for no more than 80% of the continuous load. This is true of both internal and external shunts. The reason has to do with accuracy, not safety. The special metal alloy the shunt is made of can 'drift' in terms of it's resistance if it is running above a certain temperature for an extended period of time. This again is not a safety concern. The internal-shunt ammeter is designed to fail-safe. If grossly overloaded (say, 5x rated current) for more than several minutes, the alloy will melt -- and you will be glad it did, because it means you really messed up installing it, and it probably saved your A$$.

Re: "That's why these external shunt and Hall effect types are produced and used but again they too must be chosen with enough range to take care of all eventualities such as someone turning on an unintended load."

If someone 'turns on an unintended load' (larger than intended for the circuit), it will trip the breaker(s). If the breakers don't trip, it's the fault of the person who over-sized (or removed) them. In this case it will be the wiring itself that will start a fire and not the ammeter.

A shunt meanwhile is a low ohm resistor, sized to match the size of the current it is intended to measure. Shunts are designed to dissipate heat efficiently. To "overload" a shunt, you need to overheat it for a LONG time. Brief overloads are meaningless. If you overload a shunt for too long, it will simply melt, but this is not like a fuse. If you want to use a fuse analogy, think of a very, very VERY slow-blowing fuse, aka a "fusible link".

Re: "ALmost always the same wiring that feeds the loads is the same wiring that the alternator uses to feed the batteries..."

No...never. Current from the alternator(s) does not ever go directly to the panel that feeds the house loads, and this wiring must NEVER be 'shared'. The alternator output(s) attach to positive at the battery switch on the down-stream (switched) side. From here, alternator current flows either upstream into the battery (through the BIG cables), or it flows downstream to the overcurrent device(s) that protect the (further downstream) house loads wiring. In any case, there will always be an overcurrent protection device between the alternator output and the house loads. At the same time this device protects the wiring, it will also protect the ammeter from all of the scenarios you describe. See alternator wiring photo from Yanmar attached.

Re: "Most ammeters need to be capable of handling at least 100A to cover eventualities, at least more than the alternator can output."

No...they need to be capable of handling the current going to the loads. This ammeter needs to be sized to handle as much current as the nearest upstream breaker will pass before it trips. This will be based on the size of the wiring that feeds the panel and the loads downstream. It will have nothing whatsoever to do with alternator maximum outputs, etc.

Remember, the device in question is a 0->30A meter, not a -30 -> 0 -> +30 amp meter. It is not intended to show charge rates, and (in any case) that's not what Phil is looking for. So the alternators are not in the picture here anyway.

Re: "Most good units for these purposes should be even up to 400 or 500A capacity."

No. If the circuit is designed according to ABYC or international standards, current will be limited by the upstream overcurrent device(s). By the time you find a way to get 400-500A through your house-loads ammeter to it's downstream loads (without tripping the upstream breaker), the boat will have burned to the waterline because you will have turned your supply wiring into a 30 feet of red-hot, glowing fire-starting filament. By the way, you will never find a shunt that is sized for (lets say) a 0-100A application that will be rated to handle 500% overloads. That's not how they work.

Again, the "ask" here is to measure load currents, not charging currents.

re: "Since the meter that goes with it is digital the accuracy is still good even on low A uses."

No. The accuracy of the meter that measures the volts across the shunt is not the problem. The problem is that (like any other resistor), the shunt has a tolerance...in this case it is +/- 2% or so. For a 500 amp shunt, this means the reading you get will be off by +/- 10 amps. For a 50A shunt it will be +/- 1 Amp.

Attachments

• !!dhsdghdgh.JPG
    !!dhsdghdgh.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Ka_sea_ta (and everyone) please check the OP.

Phil IS NOT LOOKING FOR A STATE OF CHARGE METER!!! He is not looking to monitor charging amps!!!

He is simply wanting the same, simple ammeter that most of us already have, which for some reason he does not.

Sorry for yelling...

How is where you said to place the meter in your schematic going to show charge current? This is the reason shunts are in the negative side of the DC system.

Ka_sea_ta (and everyone) please check the OP.

Phil IS NOT LOOKING FOR A STATE OF CHARGE METER!!! He is not looking to monitor charging amps!!!

He is simply wanting the same, simple ammeter that most of us already have, which for some reason he does not.

Sorry for yelling...

Riverguy, have you ever installed or operated a SOC meter? Are you familiar with the system features? They are a simple and versatile system to provide the requested charging current in a small, economical and battle-tested system intended for maritime use. They also provide one hell of a lot of other info that the user can benefit from.

Oh...and by the way, the OP stated his thanks and his decision in this post #22.

Last edited:
River guy I am now in the position of having a 30amp internal shut gauge and a hall effect unit (ex Amazon) waiting for delivery in a few days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am predicting you would advise the Hall effect unit in preference to my analogue gauge.
Two pretty basic questions from the ignorant:
Which wire would I run through the hall unit
How do I ascertain LOAD on my negative side if I use the analogue unit
I appreciate all the help but I am totally confused from all the advise.
BTW On my dash I have a gauge which shows charge/discharge and charging a circular gauge face with a + to - 60, a charge area and discharge area red/green what is this gauge reading in it goes through my ignition.

HI Riverguy I really appreciate all your help but I am now totally confused, test me on anything else apart from electrics and I'm OK!!!!!!!!!!!!
I find myself in the position of having a analogue internal shunt 30amp meter plus a Hall Effect meter on the way from Amazon.
I am presuming you would advise me to use the Hall unit in preference to the Amp meter???
I have a couple of questions and then hopefully I can leave you alone to get on with a peaceful life without my interruptions!!
I have a heavy duty NEG wire coming to my NEG Bus bar from where it splits to a further NEG bus bar for my glass fuses. This fuse set up is primarily for cabin functions but not my riding light, nav lights, exterior lights etc which in on a separate fuse bank.
My questions are:
Where should/what wire/s should I put through the Hall circle.
How do I ascertain where my load point is

Would a photo of the inside of my power terminal cupboard help.
Again thank you.
Phil

PS Heavy duty NEG wire coming from my battery bank to my NEG/Earth bar in my power box!!!!! then to fuses

Phil 23,
Riverguy wrote and corrected me on enough points that I think my two posts should be ignored.
If I could delete them I would. Sorry.

ii have a nice digital AMP/VOLT meter with a switch to swithch back and forth...shows charging, and usage when the engines are shut off! very handy...clyde

I am a Magnum BMK user. Likely similar to the ones mentioned and not terribly expensive. And I do love it!!

Ditto! The Magnum Sensata systems are JFI (Just Effing Incredible).

Phil 23,
Riverguy wrote and corrected me on enough points that I think my two posts should be ignored.
If I could delete them I would. Sorry.

C lectric...your observations were and are quite reasonable and supported by much conventional wisdom. Admittedly I have been on a bit of a 'tirade' against 'conventional' wisdom.

Some sincere folks here on the TF have been kind enough to contact me privately...to let me know that I've been a little (or a lot) intolerant of some viewpoints.

They are 100% correct.

I would never suggest that any viewpoints should be ignored. That would be promoting ignorance. Ignorance is bad.

Whatever you wrote helps inform the discussion. This is the essential nature of debate.

Please don't say 'sorry'. If someone should apologize, it's me.

HI Riverguy I really appreciate all your help but I am now totally confused, test me on anything else apart from electrics and I'm OK!!!!!!!!!!!!
I find myself in the position of having a analogue internal shunt 30amp meter plus a Hall Effect meter on the way from Amazon.
I am presuming you would advise me to use the Hall unit in preference to the Amp meter???
I have a couple of questions and then hopefully I can leave you alone to get on with a peaceful life without my interruptions!!
I have a heavy duty NEG wire coming to my NEG Bus bar from where it splits to a further NEG bus bar for my glass fuses. This fuse set up is primarily for cabin functions but not my riding light, nav lights, exterior lights etc which in on a separate fuse bank.
My questions are:
Where should/what wire/s should I put through the Hall circle.
How do I ascertain where my load point is

Would a photo of the inside of my power terminal cupboard help.
Again thank you.
Phil

Hi Phil,

When you bring your question to TF, you are going to get lots of opinions.

For my part, I try to solve the problem you have, not the problem I think you should have.

Most boats I've owned had a simple ammeter that tells you what your house loads are drawing. It seemed to me that this was what you were looking for.

You've seen lots of good suggestions here about the 'gas gauge' approach -- a sophisticated and expensive State-of Charge (S.O.C.) meter. You have also seen suggestions that all you really need is a voltmeter, and the logic to de-cipher it.

I think that what you asked for is what you want. A simple, cheap ammeter that tells you what your house-battery loads are using.

The simplest/cheapest approaches are to use the ammeter you have in hand, or to use a hall-effect sensor. That's not to say that other approaches are 'wrong', rather that they are unnecessary.

Call me a simpleton. I'll take it as a complement.

Scope creep...

I guess that you now confused me...What good is that with out a way to determine the battery SOC?

Re: "Where you indicated to place the ammeter would never show show the charge current just the load current from the house load. What good is that with out a way to determine the battery SOC"

If you go back to look at the OP (original post), the only thing Phil asked for is a meter that shows the load current. That's what he wants...that's what most boats have. Where did you get the idea that Phil wants an SOC meter?

Wouldn't a $200 off the shelf SOC meter intended for marine use (e.g. Magnum, Xantrex, Victron, Balmar) be easier, more capable and reliable than designing and building your own ammeter from off the shelf components?

What am I missing here?

I think it's worth asking the OP to clarify what his goal is. He stated "amp usage at a glance", that could mean a lot of things. OP?

Sometimes people ask the wrong question and then learn more. The forum is about discussion/learning. That's why I think everyone is all over the place because they know there is a better way (Total ah used, versus "current amps").

PS: Hall effect has to be way safer than shunt for answering the simple "current amps", since it does not require any change to wiring in place. No added connection points. Simple. I wonder if it would work as an ah counter? If so, hall effect would be the way to go in either case.

After nearly a month all is well, bleached out inward line with white vinegar installed a filter, after first or second flush which still smells like rotten eggs all is good for the rest of the time away.
Many thanks for all the help
Phil

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom