Old 08-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #21
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
When you got rid of the external regulator, what did you replace it with (usually, the internal reg is removed completely when an external is fitted...but not always). Now you have fixed the wiring problem, maybe a new external reg to really get the most from the alt and protect your batteries?

Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #22
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Great! Thanks for the update.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabelle View Post
When you got rid of the external regulator, what did you replace it with (usually, the internal reg is removed completely when an external is fitted...but not always). Now you have fixed the wiring problem, maybe a new external reg to really get the most from the alt and protect your batteries?
I didn't replace it with anything, just connected the twopositives together to make the circuit complete again. There is already aninternal regulator with the alternator. I'm guessing the external reg must have been part of an older setup and it was just left in place when the actual alt was installed. Don't know for sure. A lot of things done by the previous owner were weird on this boat so, your guess is as good as mine.

Sure, I could get rid of the internal reg and get an external one to get more out of the alt. But honestly my needs aren't that big (90% of the time weekend trips and once a year a 2-3 week vacation) so it would be overkill at this point. On a typical day (5-7 hours of engine in a 24 hour period) I would be short 15-20 amp/h. I'm estimating I just tripled the alt contribution to my bank with the new wiring. Should be more than enough to come up even in the same period now. But as I said, this is just from testing the difference at the dock. Could be a different story once I put it to the test in a real traveling situation.

Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote