Alternator Cooling Devices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
I've had a Sterling Alternator to Battery Charger laying around for a few years and plan to install it sometime this spring...figure some extra cooling will be a good idea once it's installed.

There are some pretty whiz-bang gizmos for cooling alternators in the off roading 4x4 crowd, including some that circulate cooling water around the alternator, but that's going a tad too far.

Most boat solutions I've seen online are fans pulling cool air from outside the engine room via a hose, and directing it to the back of the alternator.

Anybody have a purchased or DIY supplemental cooling device rigged up for their alternator?

Our relatively new to us boat has very poor engine room ventilation. No dorades or direct venting of cool outside air so it gets quite warm in there. I am doing an upgrade to lithium batteries and have purchased a larger output alternator with external regulator and temp sensors for batteries and alternator to charge this lithium bank. Up til now venting has been provided by leaving the E/R door open and a squirrel cage extractor fan pulling hot air out and overboard. Not a great system as we have to live with the engine noise while on passage. I have installed a 3" fan and duct to draw outside air down to underneath the engine. Hopefully this will provide enough cooling that we can keep the door closed. It would be a simple matter to direct the air duct to the alternator if it becomes necessary to allow the alternator to operate at a cooler temp and thus a higher output. Don't think I will go to trouble of making a cowl or shroud as the fellow in your link did. It may be necessary to add more venting in future but I will start with a 3" fan and see how it goes.

Just a suggestion but most of those fans push better than pull.

Just a suggestion but most of those fans push better than pull.

Thanks for the tip.

Having a fan push cool air into a hose from outside the engine room with the hoses other end placed very close to the alternator so the alternators fan can pull said cool air through the alternator, is the plan.

Last edited:
Here's a quote from ZRD:

Unless you have a dedicated air-conditioned engine room, your high output alternator will benefit from adding a cooling fan that supplies (EXTERNAL) outside air directly to the alternator cooling fan intake. This will provide higher sustained alternator output and a longer life expectancy due to cooler operating temperatures. We have observed a 10 - 25 % increase in amperage output towards the maximum capacity of the alternator.

http://www.zrd.com/faq/esdfaqaltcooling.html

Last edited:
In case someone is interested (you never know...) we have a Hamilton Ferris PowerMax 100 LT alternator which replaced the original Hitachi alternator on our Yanmar 4JH2-UTE.

Most boat solutions I've seen online are fans pulling cool air from outside the engine room via a hose, and directing it to the back of the alternator.

Anybody have a purchased or DIY supplemental cooling device rigged up for their alternator?

I did exactly that with a muffin fan in a hole in the bukhead that pulled in air and ducted it to the back of the alternator. Wired it to the alternator’s ignition input.

No kit just parts from Amazon, about $10.

David

Possibly some posters are in need of adequate ER ventilation. There are many formulas one can peruse for adequate cross sectional area openings for marine ER ventilation.

Then invest in an IR gun and check various components for temperatures while underway, comparing these temps to the manufacturers ratings. For an unusual setup like the OP has, 24/7 design fans may be required. This negates most low budget low voltage blowers and requires sizable vent openings beyond the engines' combustion needs.

In case someone is interested (you never know...) we have a Hamilton Ferris PowerMax 100 LT alternator which replaced the original Hitachi alternator on our Yanmar 4JH2-UTE.

That alternator is a 10SI frame and pulls air in from the rear of the alternator. Do not do as is shown in the ZRD photo unless you have A) a reverse direction fan or B) it is spinning counter clockwise.

For the best cooling of that alternator feed cool air at the back of it..

You would be better off to convert that alt to external regulation & use a Balmar regulator, rather than use an A2B charger..

Last edited:
I did exactly that with a muffin fan in a hole in the bukhead that pulled in air and ducted it to the back of the alternator. Wired it to the alternator’s ignition input.

No kit just parts from Amazon, about $10.

David

Bingo, we have a hit :thumb:

Did you see any significant-ish pseudo measurable decrease in charging times, or did you simply feel better knowing things were less likely to get fried?

Possibly some posters are in need of adequate ER ventilation. There are many formulas one can peruse for adequate cross sectional area openings for marine ER ventilation.

Then invest in an IR gun and check various components for temperatures while underway, comparing these temps to the manufacturers ratings. For an unusual setup like the OP has, 24/7 design fans may be required. This negates most low budget low voltage blowers and requires sizable vent openings beyond the engines' combustion needs.

Ventilation is good in the Sundowner Tug's engine room. My concern is that if I hook up the Sterling device, the alternator is going to be working harder.

That alternator is a 10DN frame and pulls air in from the rear of the alternator. Do not do as is shown in the ZRD photo unless you have A) a reverse direction fan or B) it is spinning counter clockwise.

For the best cooling of that alternator feed cool air at the back of it..

Thanks for that...if you read the ZRD caption, the photo is showing how not to do it.

Ventilation is good in the Sundowner Tug's engine room. My concern is that if I hook up the Sterling device, the alternator is going to be working harder.

Maybe fit a temperature sensor to the alternator to determine if it's getting hot enough to be a concern? If it does, add cooling or de-rate output. If it doesn't, might as well leave it and take advantage of not having ducting to work around while doing engine work.

Nigel Calder article from 2017 regarding overheating alternators and new battery technologies: https://www.sailmagazine.com/diy/too-hot-to-handle

Article is about 'normal' alternators being asked to work harder with new battery technologies and doesn't touch on cooling fans, but there is some cross over with my situation.

The problem is that alternators are inherently inefficient. They are at best less than 60 percent efficient; often they are well below 50 percent. The other 50 percent of the energy supplied to the alternator via its belt is turned into heat. In a typical charging cycle, the alternator starts out cold, then goes to full output at the beginning of the charging cycle and rapidly heats up. Before it gets dangerously hot, however, the charging rate declines and the alternator’s fan drives enough air over and through the unit to stabilize the temperature and keep the alternator from burning up. With these new batteries, the alternator is likely to be pegged at full output, the fan can’t handle the heat load, and the temperature rises until something fails.

The water here is cold all year round, so much so that pop cans kept in cabinets against the hull keep cool during summer. Pulling air from there directly to the alternator should (?) keep it cooler longer resulting in faster charging times...the Sterling AtoB charger has a temperature probe which dials back the alternator when it gets too hot.

The goal is to get more efficient / faster charging times... we typically boat like we used to sea kayak, where we might move less than 20 miles before finding another spot to anchor so we can go explore a creek or wander through the forest.

Last edited:
Murray,

I’ve been running a Sterling Alternator to Battery Charger for 2 years on a 200 amp alternator. I did hook up the temp sensor to the alternator. I have pretty good engine room ventilation and haven’t seen any problems with the alternator getting to warm. The max charge I have recorded was 130 amps for a short period. I am charging 4 8D AGMs, 900 amps. The batteries are 6 years old the most I have drawn them down before recharging is 70% SOC as measured on Balmar Smart Gauge.

Tom

TP
What is the book temperature operating range for your Sterling? Not comparable, my internally regulated Prestolites run at about 125F after a long days run. Nearby engine iron is around 160 to 175F so the cooling fan on the alternator is doing its job.

Bingo, we have a hit :thumb:

Did you see any significant-ish pseudo measurable decrease in charging times, or did you simply feel better knowing things were less likely to get fried?

Yes, this was done for a Balmar alternator and regulator with alternator case temperature sensing in a compact engine room on a sailboat. I can't remember the actual temp changes with the fan on or not, but as I recall it significantly reduced the charging cut back to 50% that the sensor triggered when too hot.

It took a muffin fan, some wire and a piece of corregated hose, maybe dryer hose.

David

I won't go into detail because it doesn't matter but one way to improve the air delivery to the alternator back is to use a 4" muffin type fan into the 3" hose but mount the fan on a small ply box to accomodate the 4" fan one one side and on the other side accomodate the 3" hose.

I don't think I would worry about running the fan after the engine is shutdown. Yes, the alt. will get heated by the engine but it will no longer be generating heat from power production so I would guess its actual working temp will drop. No i have not tried this.

Places like Newark Electronics will deal with you and they have a huge range of DC fans, almost confusingly so. Wade through it and pick the highest delivery 4" you can and forget the noise ratings.

Others would be Mouser, Digikey, Mode.

Last is do not even consider a sleeve type bearing unit. Get the ball bearing equipped units. These things are rated for continuous duty and for up to 40,000 or 50,000 hours and can be mounted in orientations that the sleeves don't like..

Should mention that although the I.R. temp guns are a great tool sometimes for checking actual E.R.running conditions A wireless thermometer from an electronics store , from RV stores, AMazon, and so on.
I use one.
Most can handle two remote sensors and if I were buying another I would get the two remotes.

Last edited:
We did a lithium setup on a boat a few years back before anyone else was trying it. Main charging was through a DC output FP genset, but there was also a 185A alternator on the main with a Balmar regulator. Was a bit of a learning curve for the alternator. First try we started the main with the batteries deeply discharged and forgot to hook up the temp sensor for the Balmar. Alternator literally started on fire after charging at full capacity for several minutes. New alternator with the temp sensor hooked up we would get less than a minute of charging before the temp sensor would shut down the alternator. Derating the alternator to about half output seemed to work OK. We ended up with (2) 3” engine room fans ducted to the outside, one blowing on the alternator and one carrying heat away, and it would rarely trip the temp sensor.
Depending on your battery setup, you should never have issues like that, as they won’t be able to accept enough charge to be an issue. With the lithium bank and the FP genset we were seeing over 350A continuous so this was a very atypical setup.

Tom,

The Sterling shuts down the voltage amplification as they call it when the alternator hits 90C.

Tom

I won't go into detail because it doesn't matter but one way to improve the air delivery to the alternator back is to use a 4" muffin type fan into the 3" hose but mount the fan on a small ply box to accomodate the 4" fan one one side and on the other side accomodate the 3" hose.

I don't think I would worry about running the fan after the engine is shutdown. Yes, the alt. will get heated by the engine but it will no longer be generating heat from power production so I would guess its actual working temp will drop. No i have not tried this.

Places like Newark Electronics will deal with you and they have a huge range of DC fans, almost confusingly so. Wade through it and pick the highest delivery 4" you can and forget the noise ratings.

Others would be Mouser, Digikey, Mode.

Last is do not even consider a sleeve type bearing unit. Get the ball bearing equipped units. These things are rated for continuous duty and for up to 40,000 or 50,000 hours and can be mounted in orientations that the sleeves don't like..

Should mention that although the I.R. temp guns are a great tool sometimes for checking actual E.R.running conditions A wireless thermometer from an electronics store , from RV stores, AMazon, and so on.
I use one.
Most can handle two remote sensors and if I were buying another I would get the two remotes.

You've obviously worked through the fan/hose kinks on some other project, so thanks for the advice :thumb:

We did a lithium setup on a boat a few years back before anyone else was trying it. Main charging was through a DC output FP genset, but there was also a 185A alternator on the main with a Balmar regulator. Was a bit of a learning curve for the alternator. First try we started the main with the batteries deeply discharged and forgot to hook up the temp sensor for the Balmar. Alternator literally started on fire after charging at full capacity for several minutes. New alternator with the temp sensor hooked up we would get less than a minute of charging before the temp sensor would shut down the alternator. Derating the alternator to about half output seemed to work OK. We ended up with (2) 3” engine room fans ducted to the outside, one blowing on the alternator and one carrying heat away, and it would rarely trip the temp sensor.
Depending on your battery setup, you should never have issues like that, as they won’t be able to accept enough charge to be an issue. With the lithium bank and the FP genset we were seeing over 350A continuous so this was a very atypical setup.

Well, thanks for proof testing the fan idea to such an extreme degree! Quite the abrupt climb on that learning curve!!

The Hamilton Ferris 100 LT we have is a small case alternator, but it's quite a bit more robustly built than the Hitachi it replaced. Think we'll have a bit over 400 amp hours of deep cycle flooded lead acid batteries in the house bank, so the alternator shouldn't struggle too hard.

Bit of a tangent question...how long do batteries have to sit partially charged before sulfation becomes a problem? (I don't remember reading about that anywhere).

We also have a 150W solar panel to hook up. Theory is that even though we may not run the boat long enough for a full charge between anchorages, the panel can keep sulfation at bay and maybe even bring the batteries to a full charge while we're hiking ashore. Plausible?

The newer Balmar 614 regulator will throttle back the field current based on the alternator frame temperature (if you have the temp sensor installed). Earlier ones just cut it by half, but these will attempt to find a current that keeps it just below the limit you've set up. I am using a Delco 28Si converted to external regulation. Spec's are 180A @ 120 deg C. I originally left the default of 100 deg C in the 614 parameters, it would start up putting out about 170A or so but within 5 minutes be down to around 110A (and the frame temp up to 97 deg). I've bumped this parameter up to 108 deg, which allows the alternator to maintain around 130 A continuously. I've been reluctant to go to 120 deg as the spec says, because you really do not know how the Balmar temp sensor relates to a temp rating. Cold, the alternator tested at 185 A on the bench.

I've not tried to cool the alternator, the engine room probably runs at 110 or 115 deg F. But from these measurements it seems possible to get another 25- 50% out of an alternator if it could be kept cool. Outside air might be 15 deg C cooler, lowering the frame temp by the same amount.

The problem with all these temp specs and sensors is that there is little to no information about WHERE the measurement is taken. Is it ambient air temp, ie. the temp of the cooling air being drawn into the alternator? Or is it the rectifier temp, and if so, measured where? At one of the output terminals, such as where balmar's temp sensor attaches? Or something else? Or is it the case temp, and if so, where on the case? By the bearings to guard against cooking out the bearing grease? Or is it the stator temp to guard against damage to the winding insulation? It's anyone's guess.

And there is zero info on the relationship between any of the temp measurement points when the alternator is operating. If we knew the relationship between the various measurement points, then we could translate from one to the other.

And last, there is zero info available about duty cycle for alternators. They list an output value, but what does that mean? What we are all finding is that it's actually a short-term peak or surge output value, but it can't be sustained for more than a handful of minutes before the alternator overheats, or at least until we think it over heats because after all, we really don't know what constitutes overheating, other than when it goes up in smoke.

The few temp specs I have found for alternators I 'think' are for the engine compartment ambient. But I haven't seen it stated explicitly. I have asked alternator manufacturers about max allowed temps, and where they are measured, and at best received wishy washy answers. The fact that anyone is asking seems to be a new thing for them. But when you have a regulator with a temp probe, you kind of need to know where to place it, and what temp to expect or allow before de-rating the output.

So all this leaves us with only empirical knowledge. Here's what I think we know:

- Balmar's temp prob attaches to the power post on the back of the alternator. As such, it's mostly measuring the rectifier temp. That's reasonable, but important to know when to set a temp limit.

- With the possible exception of "large frame" (something that is really undefined), and "school bus" alternators (another thing that is undefined), alternators can only output full rated amperage for minutes. How many minutes depends on the alternator, and you can only guess or observe how long that will be.

- There is a huge difference in the temperature of a rectifier and a stator, with the stator being much hotter. I have personally seen a stator running at 325F and rectifier at around 140F. Is that alternator just fine, or massively overheating? Well, it all depends on where you measure, and what that particular temp should be. I ultimately got word back from Prestolie that it was "just fine", but it sure had me concerned for quite a while.

- Measuring the stator temp can be elusive. For a long time I couldn't resolve why at sustained full output some people were measuring cool "case" temps (150F range) while others like me were measuring high temps (300F + range), all for similarly rated alternators in the 200A, 24V range, made by the same manufacturer. I finally figured it out. There are different case designs from the same manufacturer, one with an outer case around the stator, and one with the stator directly exposed. So we were measuring different things.

- You are on your own to figure out what your alternators continuous duty rating is. Have fun.

It's starting to sound like the ideal solution to the continuous output and temperature problems would be running an over-sized alternator at reduced output and still feeding it cold air.

It's starting to sound like the ideal solution to the continuous output and temperature problems would be running an over-sized alternator at reduced output and still feeding it cold air.

Definitely the first part, and the second part too if you need more.

This is the approach (the first part) we are taking on our Nordhavn 68 build. We have dual 200A, 24V alternators on the main engine, which is 10kw of power. A may use that briefly from time to time, but my real hope is to get less power with much less heat output. Stator heating, which is the largest source of heat in an alternator, increases as the square of the current output. So cut output in half, and you cut heating to one quarter.

Greetings,
Whilst I agree providing a source of air cooler than the ambient ER temperatures might be the "ideal", would it be possible to retrofit a more efficient fan to an existing alternator? Granted, you would only be providing a greater flow of already heated air but is such a device even made?

Maybe something with more blades?

https://www.deadnutson.com/13-blade-alternator-cooling-fan-1967-thru-11-17-69/

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom