Old 06-10-2019, 07:00 AM   #1

City: Edmond
All Systems Failed

I posted this over at AGLCA too...

Had a weird glitch yesterday, and lost all my systems at once. Running from the flybridge and my Furuno GPS unit, which we were using for depth and speed went black. Went into pilothouse, and my Garmin 6212 had stopped navigating and my identical Furuno down there also not working. I have an older Furuno unit down there as well, it would power on, but no GPS data. Also noticed my GPS info on my VHF not working. Garmin canít find a satellite. I understand if the antenna goes down or thereís a glitch where I lose GPS, but why would my depth guage and wind data stop working? Is it a NMEA 0183 issue?

Anyway, Iíve done all I can with my limited skills - reconnected all the cables and connections, stared at manuals, cussed and drank beer (after we anchored), to no avail. It doesnt look like i have a ton of marine electronics dealers to choose from in the Upper Mississippi area. Anyone have any suggestions on either a fix or somebody in the area who works on marine electronics?

Thanks,
Louis

lwilham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:19 AM   #2
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Looks like regional airliners are having a similar issue.

Not aware of the problem...thought there was supposed t be one back on Apr 11th.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:23 AM   #3
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwilham View Post
I posted this over at AGLCA too...

Had a weird glitch yesterday, and lost all my systems at once. Running from the flybridge and my Furuno GPS unit, which we were using for depth and speed went black. Went into pilothouse, and my Garmin 6212 had stopped navigating and my identical Furuno down there also not working. I have an older Furuno unit down there as well, it would power on, but no GPS data. Also noticed my GPS info on my VHF not working. Garmin canít find a satellite. I understand if the antenna goes down or thereís a glitch where I lose GPS, but why would my depth guage and wind data stop working? Is it a NMEA 0183 issue?

Anyway, Iíve done all I can with my limited skills - reconnected all the cables and connections, stared at manuals, cussed and drank beer (after we anchored), to no avail. It doesnt look like i have a ton of marine electronics dealers to choose from in the Upper Mississippi area. Anyone have any suggestions on either a fix or somebody in the area who works on marine electronics?

Thanks,
Louis
One question. Do you have a handheld VHF that gives your GPS position??
Old 06-10-2019, 07:40 AM   #4
Guru

City: Fairport
WAG; the power feed to a NMEA2k network had gone bad.

Probably a good idea in general, NOT to have most nav on one network.
diver dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:02 AM   #5
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
What changed? Any new additions? Did you add any LED or fluorescent lights that cause RF noise? How is you house battery water levels?
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently southbound in Chesapeake Bay
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:39 AM   #6

City: USA
Vessel Model: 1983 Trojan F44 FBMY
GPS was being test jammed in the upper Midwest... there was a NOTAM (Notice to Airmen) put out on it based out of Wisconsin if I recall...

Anyway, as stated already, regionally, there was widespread issues with air carriers having to amend approaches from GPS approaches to other navaids....
Flybull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:53 AM   #7
Guru

City: Clearwater, FL
Vessel Name: Seas the Bay
Vessel Model: 1977 42' Hardin Europa
I had the same symptoms a couple weeks or so ago in Florida. My ancient Seatalk-1 GPS receiver went bad, produced corrupt data at high rate, and overwhelmed the system's ability to process it. I lost all Seatalk-1 and NMEA-0183 data, but NMEA-2000 data was fine. It didn't matter if the GPS was plugged directly into the C120 or a Seatalk-1 hub off of the ST-NG<->ST-1 bridge.

I still don't know how a bad ST-1 device managed to affect the NMEA-0183 data paths -- but it did. I must have plugged and unplugged it one thosand time with a dumbfounded look on my face. My best guess is that it caused the C120 to misbehave and flood bad data in return, or something.

Ultimately, I unplugged the device and everthing worked, but GPS on that plotter (which was obviously missing)I changed the Miniplex-3 configuration to route GPS from the radio to the plotter and GPS came back online on the plotter. I then bought a NMEA-2000 GPS receiver and added it to the network, unrouted the radio GPS and was still good to go.

Not sure if this has anything to do with anything...but...for whatbit is worth.
gkesden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:14 PM   #8
Guru

LORAN was great until GPS became the norm.
Now we GPS can be jammed .....
Hello sexton.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:25 PM   #9

City: Mt Crested Butte
Vessel Name: Artemis
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 67
Never been a fan of inttergration. I have all my systems independant where possible. I.e my Furuno MFD's are not (Radar,depth,GPS,Speed etc) All the rest are and the new stuff going in will be standalone to a high degree.
Martin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:27 PM   #10
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
LORAN was great until GPS became the norm.
Now we GPS can be jammed .....
Hello sexton.
LORAN was never great. It worked much better on airplanes then on boats. I found radio direction finders more accurate than LORAN.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:41 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
LORAN was never great. It worked much better on airplanes then on boats. I found radio direction finders more accurate than LORAN.
Whoa, radio direction finder.... that's going back in time.
Do they still make the antennas and receivers?
Yes, I know one can use a handheld AM radio and a weak AM station, holding the radio in front of you and rotating your body until the station disappears or signal almost disappears, then that particular station will be behind you. Far from as accurate as the official antenna and receiver.
Of course, we will all need charts indicating the location of the transmitters too.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:44 PM   #12
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Plus Loran was location-specific.... some places it was very accurate ....other places it was almost useless.

Fisherman on the East Coast swore by it and used it well into the GPS era.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:30 PM   #13
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Plus Loran was location-specific.... some places it was very accurate ....other places it was almost useless.

Fisherman on the East Coast swore by it and used it well into the GPS era.
Thread drift alert!
LORAN was very repeatable if you had been there before. Excellent for fishing or inlet channels. GPS had SA turned on (300 ft radius repeatability which sucks), chartplotters were expensive and crude. Not to mention all of your fishing "spots" were in LORAN numbers that did not precisely convert. Basically you had to have both. Find your spot with LORAN then hit MARK on the GPS. Even doing that though, come back the next day and you could be 300 ft off.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently southbound in Chesapeake Bay
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:14 PM   #14

City: Edmond
Thanks for all the replies. We have numerous handheld GPS nav tools, so the navigation isnít the issue, its that all the stuff went down at once. New boat for us, and about half the systems are head scratchers (no redundancy if they all feed from the same unit, etc.). Could be the damned bananas on the boat too...
lwilham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:39 PM   #15

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Beluga
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46eu 2006 hull#289
To the OP,

A while ago, when my boat was new to me, when we were offshore (of course), all my Raymarine screens and autopilot and radar all suddenly went blank. All out of nowhere.

Turns out we had (a) one of the house batteries was dead and possibly therefore 'pulling' the others down and (b) the inlet airheaters on the engines were both constantly running due to a software glitch and drawing huge loads from the engine alternators. The consequence was that several hours after leaving dock (and the shorepower) the batteries slowly discharged down to a level where the electronics all just decided to turn themselves off at the same time.

So maybe check batteries and any heavy voltage draws?

Hamish.
BrisHamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:39 PM   #16
Guru

I would think the commercial air folks and commercial marine shippers would be demanding the next generation of secure GPS and ideally we recreational boaters will benefit too.
I have long maintained, "we" should jot down our position every 30minutes to 1 hour so if things "go south" we will at least know where we were.
It is one thing if we are on the ICW or a few miles off the coast..... but, if we are doing some serious off shore cruising, we need to know.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:49 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrisHamish View Post
To the OP,
So maybe check batteries and any heavy voltage draws?
Hamish.
Two incidents for me.

1.While docking, use the bow thruster, main engine would shut down. Shut down on ME battery low voltage. Replaced start battery and moved the bow thruster to the 'now' 3 house batteries.

Fridge problem, bad house batteries.... Replaced the 3 house batteries, fridge works fine.

The 4D batteries were about 5 years old.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:49 PM   #18

City: Jersey Shore
Vessel Name: Slow Mo
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
A/N remember that aviators?
ImaBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:50 AM   #19
FF
Guru

"holding the radio in front of you and rotating your body until the station disappears or signal almost disappears, then that particular station will be behind you"

Actually the radio station could as easily be in front , the null just fives the line ( bearing to or from ) you are on , not which direction it is.

"A/N remember that aviators?"

Sure along with "double the angle off the bow" and other antique systems.
I liked Consolan , although the entire Atlantic was on a foot wide chart , so a pencil line could be 15 miles wide

Still a winter run to Bermuda and on south was was easy ,
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:17 AM   #20
Guru

City: Fairport
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"holding the radio in front of you and rotating your body until the station disappears or signal almost disappears, then that particular station will be....,

I see a lot of this near Lake Boca. No wait, i think they are just shielding their phones from the sun to check out the latest instagram posts.

diver dave is online now   Reply With Quote