Old 02-07-2018, 03:56 PM   #1
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Ais tracking

I've cruised one season with passive AIS (receive only) and I'm on the verge of upgrading to a transceiver.

I just went to the marinetraffic website and notice that you and I are depicted as non-specific "pleasure vessel". Is there a filter I'm not seeing, (I've found the one which turns on/off the pleasure vessels, but not one which will switch on the discrete vessel ID.)?

Am I over looking something, or am I simply on the wrong site?
/s/
Anxious in Ashland
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:41 PM   #2
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
If I understand your question, you're wondering why vessels do not show up with their name etc on their AIS signal.

If name and other info is plugged into the AIS transceiver when it's configured, it will show up. Most boats I saw on Marine Traffic this afternoon, and on the Inside Passage last summer, showed name etc, but not all.

BTW, the Vesper XB6000 I installed a year ago seems to be a good unit.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:10 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCook View Post
If name and other info is plugged into the AIS transceiver when it's configured, it will show up.

BTW, the Vesper XB6000 I installed a year ago seems to be a good unit.
Thanks for the endorsement. I looked at the Vespers and pretty much decided on that brand. Is yours the model with the wi-fi?

As to the targets, I have no explanation. I did find another site called vesselfinder which does give the data. Two screen grabs of Gig Harbor attached. The one from marinetraffic above shows unlabeled targets. If you scan one, it just says "pleasure vessel".

Overall, I like the presentation at marinetraffic better, but I want the data displayed
Attached Thumbnails
gh1.JPG   gh2.JPG  
Old 02-07-2018, 06:40 PM   #4

City: Chico
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post

I just went to the marinetraffic website and notice that you and I are depicted as non-specific "pleasure vessel". Is there a filter I'm not seeing, (I've found the one which turns on/off the pleasure vessels, but not one which will switch on the discrete vessel ID.)?

Am I over looking something, or am I simply on the wrong site?

Static data (name of vessel, etc.) is only updated every 6 minutes, so perhaps that data wasn’t captured correctly or you saw it prior to capture?

https://help.marinetraffic.com/hc/en...S-transmitted-
teknoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:42 PM   #5
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
You need to add "vessel names" under the layers tab, as shown in the screenshot...
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 4.43.20 PM.jpg  
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:55 PM   #6
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Hi AlaskaProf,

The XB6000 is the basic transceiver. I think the 8000 is the wifi unit.

When I play with MarineTraffic, checking "show vessel names" makes names appear on the map next to their marks. Without that checked, you can still see a vessel's name by putting the cursor on it - but not if its name is not plugged into the AIS unit with which it is transmitting. Look at the vessels nearer Tacoma - many show names.

If there are certain vessels you'd like to keep track of, you can define a "fleet" and have it show your fleet.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:42 PM   #7
Guru

City: West Coast
For non-subscribers, I believe MT shows non-specific info only for vessels for which they receive data by satellite, rather than from a land based receiver.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:16 AM   #8

City: Washington
As far as I can tell, marinetraffic.com has no instruction book or site and the icons are pretty hard to decipher. It's pretty much hit or miss what you get.

I would like to be able to turn certain things on or off but it's hard to figure out how to do this.

I just got my Vesper XB6000 installed and connected to my plotter and I can see vessels at some of the nearby marinas but I haven't moved the boat or dealt with other moving boats so I'll have to figure out how to set alarms, etc.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:49 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
I use the "Boatbeacon" app on my phone. No, it is not a transceiver, but if you are not desperate to show your own position, it is real time, so it will show all the transmitting boats that occupy your small screen. I find it very valuable for predicting the courses of freighters in my path when I cross the Straight of Georgia, for identifying any larger vessels that may be in my path, so that I can deal with them properly, and most of all, for identifying boats passing in front of my house when I am home.
Inexpensive, and useful too.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:33 AM   #10
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Note that these free tracking sites are only as good as the shore stations they're connected to. Up our way, outside the main harbors, you're mostly invisible to anyone on the web-based sites.

I have the Vesper XB8000, with WiFi. Love it!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:26 AM   #11
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I would not worry too much about the free services as states they update every 6 minutes or so if they are IN RANGE. My boat is Raymarine equipped, so I installed a Raymarine AIS transceiver. It over lays AIS on my chart plotter which is much better than a dinky screen showing targets...
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:16 PM   #12

City: Washington
marinetraffic.com and any similar sites are not suited to collision avoidance, they are mostly for entertainment. If you're looking for AIS for your boat, an actual receiver or transceiver are what you need.

If you are sitting at home or on the dock, "apps" are fine.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:30 PM   #13
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Note that these free tracking sites are only as good as the shore stations they're connected to. Up our way, outside the main harbors, you're mostly invisible to anyone on the web-based sites.

I have the Vesper XB8000, with WiFi. Love it!
So that I understand this correctly. Your AIS will push information directly to a WiFi enabled devise such as your IPad? No need to be connected to the internet via cellular data? No need for external multiplexers or the like?

Sorry if dumb question.
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:36 PM   #14
Guru

AIS is actually VHF. Class A and Class B. (I know some are now switching to Satellite)Class B being recreational. In the PNW there are antennas on mountain tops. VTS uses these with radar to track ships and those recreational required to participate.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:53 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
AIS is actually VHF. Class A and Class B. (I know some are now switching to Satellite)Class B being recreational. In the PNW there are antennas on mountain tops. VTS uses these with radar to track ships and those recreational required to participate.
Alaskan, if you are responding to my post, Thank you.......

I understand the VHF and now satellite portions of the AIS and also the land based stations picking up the vhf signals and pushing out to the internet so I can see from my living room. I am referring to the transmission of the AIS data to other WiFi enabled devises on board and obviously in close proximity to the AIS transceiver without the need for cellular internet connection. So direct from AIS to IPad for example. (Same principle as Bluetooth) Is that what is happening or is it wishful thinking on my part?
Old 02-08-2018, 12:55 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatman View Post
marinetraffic.com and any similar sites are not suited to collision avoidance, they are mostly for entertainment.
I'm looking for something I can show to family and friends so they can locate me over the course of the summer in the wilds of BC and Alaska. If Marine traffic is simply gonna display "pleasure vessel received by satellite", that won't serve.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:00 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
I'm looking for something I can show to family and friends so they can locate me over the course of the summer in the wilds of BC and Alaska. If Marine traffic is simply gonna display "pleasure vessel received by satellite", that won't serve.
If you are within VHF range of a land based station and have your boats name, picture, etc programmed into your AIS your family friends and anyone else in the world can see your position from the free apps that are available.

If you are in an area (Wilds of Alaska) without land based stations then no. From your app look in an area that you are planning on visiting. If you can see boats then you also should be able to be seen when you are there. This is a free service and there are no guarantees. If you want bullet proof tracking use a GPS tracker.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:02 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easting View Post
Alaskan, if you are responding to my post, Thank you.......

I understand the VHF and now satellite portions of the AIS and also the land based stations picking up the vhf signals and pushing out to the internet so I can see from my living room. I am referring to the transmission of the AIS data to other WiFi enabled devises on board and obviously in close proximity to the AIS transceiver without the need for cellular internet connection. So direct from AIS to IPad for example. (Same principle as Bluetooth) Is that what is happening or is it wishful thinking on my part?
Well you are now out of my line of self proclaimed expertise. Maybe I missed it, but why are you wanting to do this?
Old 02-08-2018, 01:18 PM   #19
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
You need something like Spot or In Reach which is what Richard used, allowing us to follow him in his journey across the Atlantic...
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:36 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Well you are now out of my line of self proclaimed expertise. Maybe I missed it, but why are you wanting to do this?
I currently use Nobeltec on my IPad for my chart plotter. It can interface with AIS wirelessly if available. I am wondering if the AIS will communicate directly to my Nobeltec/ IPad or if I need to add a Multiplexer. Let’s see what we find out