Old 03-19-2018, 06:58 AM   #1
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Marine AC install hep

Last summer I bought a new AC unit before my Bahamas trip for the pilothouse but because of time constraints I didn’t get it installed before I left. Well, I STILL haven’t installed the stupid thing.

I made my life harder by not buying the identical unit that is currently in the boat. I purchased a unit locally (back when I had the boat in Stuart) from Ocean Breeze in Stuart Fl and I currently have a Marine Air Systems unit in there now. I thought I would be able to do the install myself, but when I looked at the electrical box it’s definitely not a “plug and play” type scenario, and with my bad electrical skills I’m afraid to tackle the job.

Can anyone recommend a contractor in the Sarasota/Bradenton area who could do this job correctly and at a reasonable price hopefully? Or, should I read up and just try it myself?

The units have the same basic footprint and vent location, but the connections in the electrical box are different. I’ll admit I just glanced at the schematics briefly and decided I didn’t want to mess with it, so it might not be all that complicated.

This is the unit I bought:

16,000 BTU Self-contained Marine Air Conditioning Unit
OB16CH16,700 BTU
(4.89 kWh)
(4,211.1 kcal)
13.26 amps at 120V
562 cfm
71 lbs.
Name:  IMG_2754.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  17.6 KB
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:02 PM   #2

City: Baltimore, MD
Vessel Name: Starshine
Vessel Model: 1989 Bayliner 3288
Being a small company OB has very good technical support with a real person. Give them a call and might be able to talk you through your issues.
johnrupp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:16 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
If you call them and get some help and you have some basic DIY skills you should be able to do the install. I have done A/C installs on 4 different boats. The electrical is pretty easy. The duct work is usually the most difficult. Do you have a place to get the water for the cooling water pump to get water? If not you will have to install a seacock. Still it is about a 4 or 5 on the DIY scale.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:33 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Call Conner Davis at *(941) 374-8495‬
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:34 PM   #5
Guru

There is an existing unit there I’m just replacing, so all cooling water lines are in place and ductwork is run.

The electrical part is what concerns me.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:36 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
That should not be too difficult. You bought an Ocean Breeze unit, right? I had one years ago and their phone support was good. Try giving them a call.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:10 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Call Conner Davis at *(941) 374-8495‬

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2018, 10:01 PM   #8

City: Lutz
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Last summer I bought a new AC unit before my Bahamas trip for the pilothouse but because of time constraints I didn’t get it installed before I left. Well, I STILL haven’t installed the stupid thing.

I made my life harder by not buying the identical unit that is currently in the boat. I purchased a unit locally (back when I had the boat in Stuart) from Ocean Breeze in Stuart Fl and I currently have a Marine Air Systems unit in there now. I thought I would be able to do the install myself, but when I looked at the electrical box it’s definitely not a “plug and play” type scenario, and with my bad electrical skills I’m afraid to tackle the job.

Can anyone recommend a contractor in the Sarasota/Bradenton area who could do this job correctly and at a reasonable price hopefully? Or, should I read up and just try it myself?

The units have the same basic footprint and vent location, but the connections in the electrical box are different. I’ll admit I just glanced at the schematics briefly and decided I didn’t want to mess with it, so it might not be all that complicated.

This is the unit I bought:

16,000 BTU Self-contained Marine Air Conditioning Unit
OB16CH16,700 BTU
(4.89 kWh)
(4,211.1 kcal)
13.26 amps at 120V
562 cfm
71 lbs.
Attachment 74328
You should not curse your wonderful marine equipment- it has a memory and may strike back sometime.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:35 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
That should not be too difficult. You bought an Ocean Breeze unit, right? I had one years ago and their phone support was good. Try giving them a call.

Will do. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:45 AM   #10
FF
Guru

You might do all the physical R&R that takes lots of time and just have the tech hook up the last few wires.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:18 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
You might do all the physical R&R that takes lots of time and just have the tech hook up the last few wires.

That’s a really good idea. I can handle the R&R, hooking up hoses, etc. I just have a phobia when it comes to high voltage wiring on a boat.