Old 01-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #141
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
MARPA is the slower, less featured version of ARPA. With MARPA you need to manually designate targets and it'll then track them across your screen.

MARPA and AIS add a lot of functionality to your chartplotter, but I'd suppose no one on here has use for MARPA either. It's just another "toy" feature that most good chartplotters have on them now.

SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #142
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Sure as I have all along...all these features are of great value to the commercial guy or recreational guy that is out there day and night, good weather and bad.

To the fair weather sailor..it's just a toy or distraction.

Snide remarks just show the quality of the poster's integrity and true experience in a rather large field of expertise.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #143
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Sure as I have all along...all these features are of great value to the commercial guy or recreational guy that is out there day and night, good weather and bad.

To the fair weather sailor..it's just a toy or distraction.

Snide remarks just show the quality of the poster's integrity and true experience in a rather large field of expertise.
But fair weather sailors can get caught off gaurd by a weather front. I see toys of this nature in the same light as a seat belt or air bag in a car.
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #144
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
But fair weather sailors can get caught off gaurd by a weather front. I see toys of this nature in the same light as a seat belt or air bag in a car.
if you get "caught" by weather you need to learn more about weather as weather forecasting while not exact is only about nice to uncomfortable...life threatening and you just don't get it.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #145
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
But fair weather sailors can get caught off gaurd by a weather front.
It's not at all uncommon in the islands, particularly in the fall, to be out in blue-sky weather and come around the end of an island to find the channel in front of you totally socked in with "almost can't see the bow rail"-dense fog that might only extend up one or two hundred feet off the water but might as well go all the way to the moon once you're in it. And this fog is never predicted in the forecasts other than "areas of fog" in the very broad-brush "northern inland waters" forecast. Could be here, could be there, could disappear here only to appear over there.

This is one of the main reasons why we always operate the boat "on instruments" even if the visibility is fine. By monitoring the radar it keeps us aware of what targets look like and keeps us in practice using the adjustable range and bearing rings and lines on the display.

And we almost always follow a plotted course even if we're going to one of the places we go many times a year. It keeps us up to speed in tracking a course and making corrections in the right direction to stay on it. That way when the times come that we do come around an island to confront a blanked-out channel, we aren't struggling to shift mental gears between steering totally visually and steering on instruments while at the same time trying to decipher the "picture" off the radar of what's around us.

These shots were taken during the last year or so on a run back to Bellingham from Westsound on Orcas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fog 4.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	16161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fog 1.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	16162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fog 2.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	16163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fog 3.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	16164  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #146
Guru

Quote:
I'm not sure what your point is?
Old 01-28-2013, 07:04 AM   #147
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeSailor View Post
I'm not sure what your point is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld

That's a great example of a "snide remark" right there.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #148
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
SomeSailor
Any thoughts on broad band for recreational users?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #149
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
[/I]That's a great example of a "snide remark" right there.
Gotcha. I simply don't understand what you mean by it I guess. If you'll ask more directly, I'd be happy to answer without coming off so "snidely"
Old 01-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #150
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeSailor View Post
I'd be happy to answer without coming off so "snidely"
Thought I'd beat RTF to this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2013-01-28 at 7.41.27 AM.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	16184  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #151
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Any thoughts on broad band for recreational users?
I think they're very cool. The resolution rivals much larger units (with much higher power).

Comparing the Garmin GMR18HD for example, the Garmin has a 5.0 horizontal and a 25 vertical beamwidth and a range out to 48nm. The Lowrance RA-1800 Broadband has a 5.2 horizontal beamwidth and 25 vertical with a 18nm range..

They're very close in performance with the Garmin edging out the Lowrance in range. But... the new Lowrance 4G takes that a step further though and gives you 2.6 horizontally and range out to 32nm now. It's priced at about where the Garmin 24HD is, but beats them by a full degree of horizontal resolution (Garmin is 3.6 horizontal). (I have the GMR24 myself)

I'm am curious how the lower power X-band digital Radars will act with more of them around, but for now, they're VERY nice units from what I've heard and seen in the specs.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #152
Guru

I know Garmin makes HD Radar... but haven't heard of their broadband one. I would be very interested as I am in the Simrad/Lowrance ones.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #153
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
if you get "caught" by weather you need to learn more about weather as weather forecasting while not exact is only about nice to uncomfortable...life threatening and you just don't get it.
chuckle......u reminded me a a USAF colonel friend a meteorologist. He was always giving me lectures regarding the weather and would say, trust me Britt I know what i am talking about....so funny...One time he talked me into a trip into the Sierras when the weather looked ominous, i figured if he could send bombers safely around the world he surely would be able to handle the weather for our little trip. Well we were stuck in Greyhorse valley for two days until the snow stopped.
the Colonel just retired and wants to go do some fishing for tuna. The question is, should i follow his direction or trust the coast gaurd?....I can just see it now......
The point being only God knows for sure, man's forcasts are educated guesses at best, but better than a prayer.....or are they?
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:14 PM   #154
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Back to the orginal topic.

Was at the Seattle boat show Saturday and Sunday. There is no VHF that will send, they can only received, so a AIS box is required to send. However the AIS box has a GPS built in, will receive and send. The Sitex box is the cheapest, 300 bucks, and they also make most of the other brand AIS box just packaged different. The Sitex will connect to most newer chart packages and newer VHF radios Furnuo, Garmin, Raymaine, Nobeltec.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #155
Guru

Sitex doesn't build the Garmin unit. Something else to keep in mind is the GPS / VHF antenna. The Sitex has an internal antenna, but if you want a more accurate external that's an additional cost (the Garmin AIS 600 includes the GPS antenna). The Sitex requires a dedicated VHF antenna,the Garmin works inline and is switched (no extra VHF antenna needed).

$300 would be a good price on the Sitex. When I bought mine they were in the $550 range. The Garmin AIS 600 is in the $850 range online.