AIS receiver for PC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bay Pelican

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Bay Pelican
Vessel Make
Krogen 42
My AIS receiver died and it has been difficult to find a replacement which can connect with a PC. Those sold here in the Caribbean appear to be aimed at the integrated market where it is connected to a chartplotter, not a PC.

The ICOM MXA 5000 appears to be connectable to a PC. Has anyone experience with this unit?

Any other suggestions?

I have an Icom unit circa 2010, receive only that I replaced with a transmit and receive unit that you can have . I’ll have to look around to see if I have the disk with the software drivers. Anything for another KK42 guy!

Jim

We have a Standard Horizon vhf radio which receives ais data, we used a breakout cable purchased from Milltech Marine to supply the data to a USB port on our laptop running Nobeltec TZ. Works great!

The Vesper 8000 will wirelessly provide gps and AIS data to a PC, running Coastal Explorer.

Our Simrad class B AIS connects to a Lenovo laptop with a USB cord and to a Dell with a serial port. The same AIS connects to NN3 via Maretron backbone. A driver install for a USB laptop connection is likely required.

Our Vesper XB6000 connects effortlessly with a PC through a USB cable, providing AIS and GPS data.

Is there a prticular app you want to use with the AIS data on the PC. I htink all of the SRT-based AIS devices, which is all but Furuno and Amec as far as I can tell, have a USB connection that can be used with a PC.

I'm using the ICOM MXA 5000. Had a serial cable made up (wired to the PC out on the back of the unit) and then a serial to USB adapter to connect to my laptop which is running OpenCPN.

Keep in mind it outputs NMEA 0183, not 2000. This year I'm installing an NMEA 2000 backbone with new MFDs/radar/fish finder so I'll need an NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 adapter to tie in the MXA 5000.

+1 to using Miltech, they have a ton of these units, I purchased a AMEC unit from them that creates a private wifi network (great for iPad) and connects via cat5. I don't use it anymore so its become backup but its not for any reason other than I kinda went overboard with the retrofit and did a complete NavNet setup so didn't need it. Great unit however.
I would include a link but don't see that unit for sale anymore.
AC

Back
Top Bottom