AIS and MMSI question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fryedaze

Guru
Vessel Name
Fryedaze
Vessel Make
MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
We are upgrading electronic in a few weeks.The install will include a new AIS Class B transponder. I cant figure out where to get the MMSI number for it. Do I use the BoatUS site or the FCC site. The things that are tripping me up are:
Do NOT Register with BoatUS MMSI if:

• your vessel is required to carry a radio onboard (“Compulsory Equipped”)
  • you plan to visit or communicate in a foreign port including Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, and the British Virgin Islands
I plan on doing the loop next spring so we will be in Canada. Is a radio “Compulsory Equipped” on my 42' boat?

No...your boat is not a compulsory boat but YES, transmitting in a foreign country you are supposed to have a US Ship' Station License and you a Restricted Operator permit (in fact anyone using the radio must have one).

At least that's the way I remember it...may get fine tuned here in a few more posts.

Go the FCC route and be done with it.....painful as it is for some people trying to deal with the site.

Good. Go thru the FCC and be done with it.

Thanks, I have cancelled the Boat US MMSI and applied at the FCC . I have no idea when I will get the number.

So if you already have a BoatUS MMSI number, can you cancel and do the FCC thing?

More importantly, can your gear accept a new MMSI number?

Go the FCC route and be done with it.....painful as it is for some people trying to deal with the site.

Yeah, navigating the FCC site isn't the easiest...

If it helps anyone, the "Restricted Radio Telephone Operator Permit" is form FCC-605-FRC, and the "Radio Station Authorization" is form FCC-605-S.

In our case, the "Radio Service" for the station license (latter form) is "SA - Ship Recreational or Voluntarily Equipped." Request VHF callsign, MMSI, whatever else...

More importantly, can your gear accept a new MMSI number?

I think Dave's first post suggests he hasn't done the install yet.

For other readers, perhaps not familiar with DSC-capable radios, the question speaks to whether an MMSI number can be changed in a given radio. Many (most? all?) manufacturers only give the installer (or you) about 2 -- or maybe 3 -- chances to get it right... and after that, the unit may have to returned to the factory for a reset.

-Chris

Last edited:
Do I use the BoatUS site or the FCC site.

While I don't remember all the details, I do remember being told by the electronics shop where we get all our marine electronics for both boats that there are advantages to having an FCC-issued MMSI number. I recall that the government numbers are on various official lists that are useful at times, while the BoatUS-issued numbers are not.

Anyway, he strongly recommended going the US government route, which we did when we purchased our first new VHF radio for the Grand Banks.

That said, we never use our MMSI number for anything in terms of its ship-to-ship communications function. Well, we did once on a trip we took in the company of another boat, but we saw no advantage in communicating that way as opposed to calling on 16 and switching to a working channel so after awhile we didn't bother with it anymore. But I know other people who really like using MMSI in this way.

Regardless, the MMSI is a good thing to have with regards to emergencies.

That said, we never use our MMSI number for anything in terms of its ship-to-ship communications function. Well, we did once on a trip we took in the company of another boat, but we saw no advantage in communicating that way as opposed to calling on 16 and switching to a working channel so after awhile we didn't bother with it anymore. But I know other people who really like using MMSI in this way.

We've experimented with the calling capability a little, but mostly have found we know so few people we want to talk with... that using "MMSI dialing" (so to speak) isn't easy enough to do from our radios... unless the callee's MMSI is already entered into our calling list.

I've heard of some installations where users can click on an AIS target and cause a VHF MMSI call... ours isn't set up that way. (Or at least I haven't found a set-up menu option to enable that, yet. Haven't spent much time looking.) Sounds potentially useful, though...

-Chris

I like it for the safety function. I trained my wife that if anything happened to me she is to go to the radio, flip up the cover over the red button and press it and count to 10 then let go. It broadcasts our lat/lon and MMSI info.

Dave

I bought my AIS from Defender whilst the boat was in the US. Before the order could be filled I had to supply an MMSI. I think that's the deal with all AIS retailers in the US. I gave them the Australian MMSI from my Australian EPIRB, which was accepted without any problems. That MMSI is in a database with the boat details & description, along with my address and names & contact details for two other people. Its a great safety net.

Just fyi the fcc forms are not Apple friendly.

ditto

Go to FCC site. I did it, so it can't be that hard.
and then 6 months later tried to do it again :facepalm:

I got my AIS from HopCar.

i love it. One of the best upgrades I have done

Follow these instructions and you will have a MMSI in a few days. I filed online on Friday and had a number by Monday.

Steps to Filing an Application for a new Ship Station license:

Log in to https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/licManager/login.jsp with your FCC Registration Number (FRN) and Password

If you do not know the password, click on the Contact Tech Support link, and then click the Reset Password button to follow the prompts for resetting the password.

If you do not have an FRN, you will need to register for one here: https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/regEntityType.do

Note: If you are taken to the My Applications page after logging in, click My Licenses to begin the steps below
Please refer to the online ?Help files or Common Questions if you need assistance with the application.

1. On the left side of the screen, click Apply for a New License
2. From the drop down box, select the Radio Service for the new license - Choose SA or SB- Ship
3. Click Continue to navigate through the application
4. Sign your application and click Submit Application by typing your first and last name in the name fields you have signed
your application
5. ULS will calculate the fees. Fees for online filing MUST be received within 10 calendar days of the filing.
6. Click the Continue For Payment Options button to choose the method of payment.

Further information regarding Ship Station licenses can be found at http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=service_home&id=ship_stations

If you have any further questions, or need additional information, submit a request through http://esupport.fcc.gov or call the FCC Licensing Support Center at 877-480-3201.

Sincerely,

FCC Licensing Support Center

Some folks would likely benefit from detailed instructions like that for the Operator's License, too. :)

-Chris

What are the fees? Are they one-time or annual?
The government web site is not user friendly.

Thanks,
Rafe

My knowledge is limited to what I previously posted. I first called; FCC Licensing Support Center at 877-480-3201 option 2. They were very helpful and will send you an email with directions or mail you what you need. It cost me $160 and its good until 2024. I didn't know there was a fee until I got to the end of filling it out online.

Thanks. Wow $160. No wonder folks are using BoatUS

I have been trying the FCC website for three days, but it just will not respond. Is it me, or has anyone else had problems?

I may not have any choice but to go with BoatUS.

I just filled out an application online the night before last....worked for me.....

AIS and DSC calling and monitoring through a NMEA2000 network is fantastic and cake to use.
Most AIS transponders must be factory programmed you get 1 shot (that was in the old days) also most VHF radios only allow 1 entry for your MMSI. You can delete the MMSI on all or most radios but most don't allow additional MMSI programming.
Bill

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom