Old 11-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
Guru

City: Fort Myers - FL
Vessel Name: ORIGINAL
Vessel Model: Hi Star 55
AIS Issues

I'll have to cruise almost 6,000miles do Rio de Janeiro. I have an old Simrad that's the screen doens't work.
My question: can I change just the screen? How can I check it?
If I have robust another one, which one?

Alemao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:59 AM   #2
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
If you are doing a trip like that, you must have a decent chartplotter...so why not get an AIS unit that will connect to that...and to a laptop as well if you wish. One of the best buys around right now is the Sitex Metadata Transponder. It is available on-line from Defender Marine for around $550 and comes complete with an internal GPS (with external connection GPS socket too); and can be connected using NMEA 0183; NMEA2000; and/or a USB. (no financial interest...just what I would go for myself)

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...908&id=1849984

Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Have you seen the site Uma Viagem Martima ao Redor da Terra of a couple from Brazil who made the trip North to Florida from Santos. They are also doing the "Great Loop" and not far from completing it.
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alemao View Post
I'll have to cruise almost 6,000miles do Rio de Janeiro. I have an old Simrad that's the screen doens't work.
My question: can I change just the screen? How can I check it?
If I have robust another one, which one?
You can't change just the screen. You might be able to find a shop to repair the unit, but if it's "old", it's probably outdated so repairing it would leave you with an outdated, obsolete unit that you've just invested several hundred dollars in.

My suggestion - replace, don't repair. Get something with all the latest features that you need or can use.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
Grand Vizier

I was told that Simrad no longer supports the old radar units so repair may not be easy.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
Guru

Thank you, I already have a cart to buy in Defender Marine and will add the Sitex like you said.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:35 AM   #7
Guru

Steve, thank you, from now on, I'm visiting the site every day, there are many tricks and ideas that I'll need
Old 11-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Model: None, but looking
Just installed the Sitex unit. Very nicely built. Be aware though that the NMEA 183 output is at 38400 baud. But, there is a NMEA 183 input at 4800 baud and anything coming in on that port is repeated at the high speed output port. Saved me one NMEA port on the chartplotter.

Defender did all the setup for MMSI number and boat info. Plugged it in, connected the antenna and NMEA ports and it came right up. Shortly thereafter got an ASI alarm. Seems there was a boat in the marina next door heading right for my boat. Apparenly the unit did not realize there were two parking lots and a street between us.

Bob
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:32 AM   #9
Guru

Thank you BobH. One question, my Boat will change the name and numbers when I'll arrive in Brazil. Can I change these informations or I have to ask Defender?
Old 11-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #10
Guru

According to the manual, the vessel data must be programmed by a competent installer. It is a violation of of FCC rules for the end user to program the vessel data. This applies to US Customers only.

The USB connection allows you to program the MMSI, Vessel Name, Vessel Type, Call Sign and vessel dimensions. But I don't know if you can change that data after it has been programmed by the dealer. It does say that the MMSI number can only be programmed once using the USB port.

You may want to contact Defender or Sitex and explain your particular issues.

Bob
Old 11-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #11
Guru

Thank you again, from now on you are my Eletronic Guru

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa, Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
Old 11-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #12
Guru

Actually I did ask Defender about what would happen if/when we sold the boat and they told me that the data could be changed but I didn't get into the details.

Not sure if I'm ready to be a guru though.

Bob
Old 11-20-2012, 03:08 AM   #13
Guru

Hi Bob,
I read that I can't change the vessel data after the AIS was programmed , then I intend to use just a Si-Tex Receiver MDA-2. I just need an AIS to cruise, in Brazil we don't use.
What do think about my Guru?

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa, Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
Old 11-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #14
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
you really don't need AIS at all...while it's a great tool, there are lots of vessels that can run you down that don't have AIS.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #15
Guru

Psneeld,
Great, I'll save some money
I'l spending a lot, equipping and reviewing equipment.
I'm buying a new batterie, fishing equipment, new outboard motor, new inflatable boat, new everything that I can
Old 11-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #16
Guru

A great RADAR and knowing how to use it is far more valuable...and for long distance coastal cruising...I would have a small backup before I bought AIS.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:13 AM   #17
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
AIS is a great safety device especially for blue water cruising. Yachts, ferries and freighters do indeed collide. This past summer we had many calls from large yachts, tugs, ferries and freighters giving passing instructions as they noted us on AIS. I would never be without one especially when cruising in foggy weather in the PNW or in the open ocean at night.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #18
Guru

I don't intend to navigate at night, but I think that I'll need close the coastal in the North of South America.
A friend said to don't do that because I can find a floating tree trunk.
I'm looking for places to stop to just navigate during the day light.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #19
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
you really don't need AIS at all...while it's a great tool, there are lots of vessels that can run you down that don't have AIS.
Scot: Very true plus you have to make sure you don't run someone down. On a previous trip, Lena and I went from Salvador, Brazil to North Carolina via Trinidad and the Caribbean. This summer we arrived back to Trinidad via the Pacific Coast of Mexico and Central America. While AIS is a great tool, the majority of the vessels that we encountered did not have AIS. Even using radar is a challenge. There are lots of fishing vessels less than 40 feet, made of wood or fiberglass that make lousy targets. We turned a local fishing vessel around in 2011 off the Guatemalan Coast. Two guys were sound a sleep in their 30 something foot open boat at 3am with no lights on. We were 6 miles off the coast when the starboard paravane glanced off the side off their boat. No one was hurt, it just scared the crap out of the four of us. After we stopped they turned their lights on, we said our apologies and off we went. All the navigation aids we have help make crusing safer but they don't all add up to 100% safe. Shit still happens.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Scot: Very true plus you have to make sure you don't run someone down. On a previous trip, Lena and I went from Salvador, Brazil to North Carolina via Trinidad and the Caribbean. This summer we arrived back to Trinidad via the Pacific Coast of Mexico and Central America. While AIS is a great tool, the majority of the vessels that we encountered did not have AIS. Even using radar is a challenge. There are lots of fishing vessels less than 40 feet, made of wood or fiberglass that make lousy targets. We turned a local fishing vessel around in 2011 off the Guatemalan Coast. Two guys were sound a sleep in their 30 something foot open boat at 3am with no lights on. We were 6 miles off the coast when the starboard paravane glanced off the side off their boat. No one was hurt, it just scared the crap out of the four of us. After we stopped they turned their lights on, we said our apologies and off we went. All the navigation aids we have help make crusing safer but they don't all add up to 100% safe. Shit still happens.
Thanks... I know the Caribbean well enough to know AIS would have serious limitations and provide a nonsensical feeling of false security...which is where the OP is headed...not Puget Sound..