AIS antenna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mguelker53

Okay, I'm cheap. But I also hate tossing out good stuff and putting holes in my boat.

I have a LORAN antenna mounted to my boat. I have removed the old LORAN unit. I have installed an em-trak R-100 AIS receiver and wondered if I could plug the old LORAN antenna into the AIS unit? I know the new antenna is only $100 but I can use the $100 in better ways if this will work. Anybody got any ideas about this one?

That's a big nope. But on the bright side you can probably use the old base.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

AIS uses Marine VHF frequencies. LORAN uses low frequency AM. Like using rabbit ears connected to a cell phone. Look around for a old Marine VHF antenna which uses the same base. Better yet, a new Shakespeare 5206-C is only about $50 and you will know it will work.

Last edited:
Posts 1 and 3: Not sure what the point is of saving a hundred to get the very best range and performance for AIS only to diminish the 200 spent by more than half...?

The only thing you're going to be able to re-use are the holes...

Dont toss that Loran set , should a EMP discharge knock out GPS it will be down for years.

Loran is ground based far easier to get working than a few dozen sat launches.

N. Korea , and a handful of countries have the nuke and the rocket to set the western world back 100 years.

Dont toss that Loran set , should a EMP discharge knock out GPS it will be down for years.

Loran is ground based far easier to get working than a few dozen sat launches.

N. Korea , and a handful of countries have the nuke and the rocket to set the western world back 100 years.
It's more likely that a lifeform from another galaxy would have the ability to take out 24 independent satellites than any country on Earth (including the US). I don't believe that even the United States has the technology to destroy a single orbiting satellite, except in the movies.

And besides, if in an instant we were set back 100 years, seriously, how important will GPS be? I doubt there'll be much more recreational cruising.

And besides, if in an instant we were set back 100 years, seriously, how important will GPS be? I doubt there'll be much more recreational cruising.

You don't think the zombie killing preppers will take time out of their hum drum days, put down their guns and want to take a vacation cruise?

HOLLYWOOD

:whistling:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom