Old 07-31-2017, 05:48 PM   #21
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Also remember that there is a GPS mushroom that has to be installed and of course the VHF antenna. If you can swing it, I highly recommend a dedicated AIS antenna rather than messing with a splitter. It might seem harder to install, but maybe not as much as you think. Installing the splitter takes time, they are relatively expensive, and you need to get power to it as well. And you will get better results from both your AIS and your VHF with separate antennas.
The issue of antennas is one of the things that is holding me back. From my research in the past, RM doesn't have a great solution for integrating a Class B AIS transceiver into their "legacy" products. Every time I have tried to work through the RM integration morass I get confused. This is one of those areas where I may be better off finding someone who can do it for me and consider it money well spent.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:51 PM   #22
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
.........Also remember that there is a GPS mushroom that has to be installed and of course the VHF antenna............!
Some brands seem to have an internal GPS antenna.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:53 PM   #23
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Just bought a transceiver from Defender. Came programmed and with free ant.
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:53 PM   #24
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post

That would significantly simplify that installation step.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:55 PM   #25
Guru

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
Mine is Vesper XB-8000. Has wi-fi, so can be controlled by mobile device. Am using Coastal Explorer on laptop, so both AIS data and GPS data is supplied to laptop by the Vesper. Makes for 1 less cord going to the laptop. I like it, bought from Defender when they were on sale. Info was provided to Defender, Mmsi and some Vessel info, so was ready to install on arrival.
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:56 PM   #26

City: PNW
Vessel Model: American Tug 435
Another vote for the Garmin AIS 600 if you're already using Garmin MFDs. I have this setup and the nice thing if you stick with Garmin is that when you ever go to update software; you plug in one SD card and it updates all of the Garmin devices on the network.
I definitely love the transceiver. It augments radar and just adds another layer of safety. In NY harbor you will be in a target rich environment and it'll come in handy.
Also as you mention; its very cool that friends & family can track your progress, it is sort of like a real-time float plan if you've ever sent one to someone before a big cruise.
Hamrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:04 PM   #27
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
... Also remember that there is a GPS mushroom that has to be installed and of course the VHF antenna...
And has to be connected also... the PO of my boat did not take this extra step and limited his effort to connect the VHF antenna but left the gps wires unplugged... brilliant!

L.
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:08 PM   #28
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
AIS does not add another layer of safety, it adds another layer of information.

Those in the safety networks can argue that too much info and too many displays to look at actually diminish safety in the amatuer world.

I have been through NY harbor many times, stay out of the mainstream, and look ahead and it isnt all that big of a deal. There is only about 10 miles that you need your head on a swivel.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:25 PM   #29
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: YellowBird MMSI 367769170
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship m1 #149
Quote:
Transceiver all the way. AIS is only as good as the number of boats transmitting.

It's not always a welcome view point, but I think receive-only is only being a Taker from the system. With a transceiver, you are a Giver and a Taker. Please be a Giver too.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:31 PM   #30
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
That's the equivalent to saying that looking at highway traffic info without you constantly feeding the system is wrong.

Even if all you do us travel back roads, avoid major highways, refuse to call in the once and a great moon big issue, etc...etc...

Please, as a commercial small vessel guy....saying AIS is a good thing is great...saying you are a taker and not a giver is way out of wack with the system the way it is.

My exception may be Western Rivers which I dont have experience in.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:40 PM   #31
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I don't understand the comments that receiving without transmitting is selfish. It makes no sense to me. Remember, the majority of boats out there have neither.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:09 PM   #32
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
I simply was adding a new radio when one with an AIS receiver was on sale. But I will likely add a transmitter at some point fairly soon....once I stop shooting the money gun at other stuff. We have pretty busy waterways around here. The Houston Ship Channel intersects the ICW and the Galveston Ship Channel and the Texas CIty Ship Channel all in the same spot!!!...aka Bolivar Roads.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:48 PM   #33
Guru

City: Boston Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
...AIS does not add another layer of safety....

If it helps you see other vessels, and other vessels to see you....how can that be considered not adding safety ??
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:05 PM   #34
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
If it helps you see other vessels, and other vessels to see you....how can that be considered not adding safety ??
I think we are getting into semantics here and what exactly is considered a "layer of safety". I don't think anyone would argue that it doesn't add safety.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:26 PM   #35
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
That's the equivalent to saying that looking at highway traffic info without you constantly feeding the system is wrong.

Even if all you do us travel back roads, avoid major highways, refuse to call in the once and a great moon big issue, etc...etc...

Please, as a commercial small vessel guy....saying AIS is a good thing is great...saying you are a taker and not a giver is way out of wack with the system the way it is.

My exception may be Western Rivers which I dont have experience in.

See, I said it wasn't always a welcome view :-)

I think AIS is quite different from your traffic example. For traffic reporting to work, all that's needed is a sampling of cars traveling a route. Once you have some level of sampling, there is little to no incremental gain by getting more samples, i.e. having more participation

Quote:
I don't understand the comments that receiving without transmitting is selfish. It makes no sense to me. Remember, the majority of boats out there have neither.

If one has receive only, they have benefited only themselves by utilizing mine and other people's transmitted AIS reports. They have not provided any benefit back to anyone else. If one is going to utilize the data that others and I have provided, it would be nice if they reciprocated and provided useful data back about themselves so the rest of us can benefit too.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:30 PM   #36
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I think we are getting into semantics here and what exactly is considered a "layer of safety". I don't think anyone would argue that it doesn't add safety.

I think AIS enhances safety. However, as more and more recreational vessels have AIS transceivers, it becomes easier to pay more attention to the plotter than looking out the window. The same is true with Radar.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:50 PM   #37
Veteran Member

City: Ashland City, TN
Vessel Name: Tinker Belle
Vessel Model: 1973 Gulfstar 43 Trawler
I also have a Vesper XB-8000. I wanted the ships and tows to see me as well as me seeing them. I've only had it about 8 weeks but I've traveled the intracoastal from Galveston to Mobile during that time I will tell you that the captains of the ships and tows like you having the transmit capacity. They radioed me frequently requesting vessel type and discussing vessel placement in the channel. Its good to be seen by them.
Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:17 AM   #38
Guru

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySky View Post
I have the Si-Tex MDA 1 Class B Transceiver. New they are just over $500 and can integrate with NMEA 0183 or NMEA 2000. Works nicely with my Garmin chartplotters and tablet with Coastal Explorer.

I have this unit too and it works well with Coastal Explorer. SiTex retailer set it up for me as required but it came with the ProAIS software that they used to set it up. This software program also allows me to set the unit on silent mode and stop broadcasting, such as at anchor or in a marina. I like that feature.
drb1025 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:18 AM   #39
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
That is correct, I recently installed a Si-Tex MDA-1 Class B AIS Transceiver with a built in 50 channel GPS, internal antenna and a socket for an optional external antenna. It is located in an overhead electronics box and operates perfectly. It has its own Galaxy 14' antenna.

It was connected to an otherwise all-Garmin suite via N2K, and was instantly recognized by all other devices. AIS targets are visible on all plotters.

I have a Garmin VHF200 radio that is also connected via N2K. Touch an AIS contact on any plotter and you automatically have the option to directly initiate a call over the VHF. This is a really useful feature. I like it!
Old 08-01-2017, 01:28 AM   #40
Guru

Remember the saying: "Tis better to give than to receive".
With AIS, perhaps they are equal.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote