Old 10-10-2019, 03:10 PM   #21
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Thanks everyone. Iím feeling better now.

cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:21 PM   #22
Guru

I equalized FullRiver 8D AGMs following the advice of East Coast battery (Ft Lauderdale) and, as previous, it worked out just fine, contrary to what I had thought previously. So, would guess it is not just Lifelines - after all the chemistries are the same - just packaged differently.

Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:27 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
I donít *think* there has been a draw because I shut off all the breakers when I left, but in the process of hauling the boat and during the storm who knows.
If there was no draw, then AGM batteries lose an insignificant amount of amperage per month. (1~3 I think). I regularly turn my boat off (no trickle or periodic charging of any kind), then 6 months later, turn on battery switches, LED lights and the stereo. I've done it for 9 years on a set of Lifeline AGM batteries with no apparent issues.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:33 PM   #24

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
AGMs can be equalized, the challenge is doing it without popping the vents and losing electrolyte. That's why many recommend against it.

Personally, I've seen AGMs in land vehicles show significantly higher resting voltage and somewhat better performance after sitting on a desulfating battery tender for a while. Mind you, I'm not talking a day or 2, I'm talking about being plugged in whenever it's not in use for a few months. I've got a few Battery Minder 1510 units (temp compensated and desulfating) around my house for vehicles that aren't driven a lot and they seem to do the trick.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:29 PM   #25
Guru

City: Anacortes
My Victron multi went bad and I ended up discharging my 1200 ah lifelines to zero twice and sat for at least a week that way. They are maybe 4 years old. They charged right back up. The lifeline instructions are not easy to follow, it would take days and depending on your charger size, you might have to do it in batches a few batts at a time, it requires some real amperage.

My guess is if they charge back up, you would put off the equalization for a later date. Mine act as if nothing happened, so I never did it. Hope yours fare the same. They are good batts. Good chance it will be a non issue, especially in the short term.

I might be ready to take a pair out of the circuit, but if bad probably not all of them.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:46 PM   #26
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
For light weight food options you might try camping supply
stores for freeze dried products
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:39 PM   #27
Guru

Good idea on the freeze dried. I guess. Never had them.

I was thinking jerky, canned sardines/kippers etc (I like that stuff and it doesnít weigh much), some canned veggies. Maybe some Spam. I have pasta onboard.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:51 PM   #28
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Good idea on the freeze dried. I guess. Never had them.
They aren't bad at all. Expensive, but easy.

Rip the top off the bag...pour in 2 cups of boiling water...stir...wait a few minutes, and you're done. Pretty filling as well, as they're meant to fuel an adult carrying a big pack through the mountains.

Best of luck!
Old 10-11-2019, 07:03 AM   #29
FF
Guru

"I wonder how I’m going to lash the mast down"

Use care as masts may be repaired by splicing, even the old 12 meter boats had spliced masts with big !!! loads.

No Fear crossing , without the mast the side to side motion will be quicker , but you have a basic single engine cruiser , like most cruisers..
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:13 AM   #30

City: Albany, NY
Vessel Name: Gypsy Star
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
I had a bilge pump hose come off while the boat was on the hard and accumulated rain water leaking through a hatch coaming due to the boat not being blocked level recirculated until the two AGM batteries went dead flat. I recharged them and they are still working about 5 years later for the new owner. Technically, this should not be possible but you might luck out.
Roger Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:44 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"I wonder how Iím going to lash the mast down"

Use care as masts may be repaired by splicing, even the old 12 meter boats had spliced masts with big !!! loads.

No Fear crossing , without the mast the side to side motion will be quicker , but you have a basic single engine cruiser , like most cruisers..

Yeah, back to the ole ďrolly pollyĒ.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:17 AM   #32
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Cardude,

Easy to equalize your Lifelines. I have them, too. Here's the link to the process:

https://lifelinebatteries.com/2015/1...agm-batteries/

Basically,

"Our batteries should be equalized at 15.5-16.3 volts for 6-8 hours"

Also, the Lifelines are second to none as for quality and great tech support. They answer their phone and give great info: (909) 599-7816 CA https://lifelinebatteries.com

Concord makes the Lifelines and also makes top quality aircraft batteries. I've been using them for close to 20 years and getting 6 to 7 years out of their aircraft batteries.

Good luck with the boat and keep us posted.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:59 PM   #33
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
500Ah bank with nothing on but bilge pumps should be plenty "up" after 30d.

Do have an adapter for your 30A shore connector to go into an extension cord? That would be handy to power up the charger if you can find a local to loan/rent a portable gennie. Charge batts while still on the hard.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:04 PM   #34
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
CarDude _ let us know how it goes. Good luck with the batteries and the crossing.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #35
Guru

Will do. If I have some wifi or enough cell signal I will try to post up some pics of the damage.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:37 PM   #36

City: St Louis
Vessel Name: Seasoned
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 32
They are salvageable

My four 31M-AGM 100ah batteries were deeply drained (less than 2vdc)when I left her in Pensacola last summer. I put them on a slow charge as recommended by Interstate Batteries. They are fully functional with minimal damage.
Raybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:41 PM   #37

City: Mt Crested Butte
Vessel Name: Artemis
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 67
One thing about agm's any reputable battery place can get a fully discharged battery back. The trick is not to use a modern charger, if you connect and trickle charge nothing will happen. What you need to do is to overcome the discharged resistance. You need to put a clamp ammeter on the cable , charge at a high rate / voltage and watch the ammeter, it will be zero and slowly climb over a period of time, adjust the rate to some 10amps going in and then back the volts amp down, till you are charging at a normal high rate. Not unusual to be starting charging at 16-18 volts to wake the batteries to start. I've seen sunken batteries recovered using this method.
Martin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:36 AM   #38
FF
Guru

For fine dining bring a weeks worth of MRE's .
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:04 AM   #39
Guru

AGM batteries if discharged?

The batteries were only at 18% when I got here, but after about 8 hours on the charger they are up to 65%, so thatís good news I guess. They are going to try to launch me later today if they can get all the boats behind me moved. One sailboat right behind me is in terrible shape. When the mast broke away it took a big chunk of the deck with it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7083.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	95421

Overall, the island and yard look worse than I imagined.

Name:	IMG_7084.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	95422

Name:	IMG_7085.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	95423

Name:	IMG_7086.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	95424

Name:	IMG_7087.jpg
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	95425

My boat had a little more damage than I knew about, but I expected that. My rear roof support is bent/broken, and my engine hoist was hit by something and is bent beyond repair.

Name:	IMG_7082.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	95427

Name:	IMG_7081.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	95430

One of the jack stands at the stern was under such pressure that it had indented the hull a bit, but when they removed it and put up another stand the hull seemed to snap back. That has me a little worried. I got into the lazarette and inspected it and canít see any damage, so maybe itís Ok?

Name:	IMG_7066.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	95428

My plan is to try to come back Monday and Tuesday. Looks like a big front coming Wednesday. The weather here is supposed to be bad Saturday and Sunday but if not terrible I might try to make some headway Sunday.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7081.jpg
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	95426   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7082.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	95429  
Old 10-18-2019, 11:11 AM   #40

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
I'd definitely get a good hull surveyor to check out the area where that jackstand was to try to confirm that there's no delamination or anything that needs to be repaired. If it all seems ok inside and out it should at least be fine to make the trip home.

For the batteries, they'll likely come back with minimal negative impact. They've been partially charged for a while which isn't ideal, but they weren't left stone dead. Just let them charge as long as practical before leaving so they get some time to get good and topped off after reaching float.

rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote