Old 10-31-2017, 05:27 PM   #21
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by danderer View Post
Not necessarily. There are some good deals out there. I'm looking at at a 9" Raymarine Axiom MFD (with GPS and Navionics) for $1050, their wifi Quantum radar for $1199, and reusing my DT800 depth sounder module ($300 if I had to buy a new one).

That's a completely new, latest-generation, 1-station system for $2549 and it should be an easy DIY install.

Plus Raymarine now has a rebate deal - $500 back if you buy an Axiom and Quantum. So $2049. Less what you can sell the existing equipment for.

My point with this example is it is possible to install new, integrated systems for a lot less than you might think.
Any idea if the Axiom would be compatible with an older Raymarine DSM?

Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:52 PM   #22
Guru

City: Seattle, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
How long have you been using what you have? Long enough to have developed a really good feel for where you want to be? If not, maybe keep working on that...

-Chris
Agree completely with this, although in our case replacement is about installing what's not there (GPS/Chart-plotter) and dealing with EOL and reliability concerns with some other equipment.

Nothing needs to happen tomorrow but as I plan projects and improvements I like to have an end state in mind.

Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:55 PM   #23
Guru

City: Seattle, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
I certainly can not fault the choice of a Raymarine Axiom except for one little detail, It has no knob for zooming in & out! Both the eS127 & 128 have knobs for zooming on the chart and the radar. Nice feature when you are in a snotty sea. Trying to "pinch" in & out on your plotter in those conditions is problematic at best. Also, the Raymarine Evolution 200 AP also has a knob! Having knobs on your MFD, radar & AP are mandatory on my boat. (In case you missed it, I like all kind of knobs! )

Since the suite on my boat has WiFi & BlueTooth & I only have them on the flybridge, I have an old iPad in the salon that displays anything I'm looking at for the everyone down below.
Wow, great setup! I'd like to install something similar but maybe in reverse (MFD in the pilothouse and an iPad for the flybridge or just hanging around at anchor).
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:44 AM   #24

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Sojourner
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
Any idea if the Axiom would be compatible with an older Raymarine DSM?
No idea but their support folks could tell you: Raymarine forum
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:00 AM   #25
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
In my experience, the best forum devoted to marine electronics is at The Hull Truth, a much broader base of users. It would be useful to consult there. https://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-...nics-forum-19/
You'll hear more about Simrad, Furuno, Garmin, Sitex et al, with usual mix of expert, inexpert and hearsay inherent in any internet forum, though I'd say a little bigger mix of expert there than here.

Going to a good boat show where all the manufacturers are displaying is a very good idea, and fun too. User interface and functional "understandability" is a pretty personal decision.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:35 AM   #26
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
In my experience, the best forum devoted to marine electronics is at The Hull Truth, a much broader base of users.

I agree with the suggestion to review The Hull Truth, but do so keeping in mind where they are coming from and what their priorities are. There is overlap with cruising, but a lot of differences too.

For example, 95% of the THT crew want a radar to find birds so they know where to fish. A few use it to get out or get home at night. And almost none know how to use it (or assess it's suitability) as a real navigation tool.

They are also very focused on fish finder and stereo systems.

In a nut shell, THT is about fishing and recreation in smaller runabouts and center consoles, where TF is about cruising, and associated navigation. I'm not judging - just noting the differences so you can better interpret the comments.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:17 PM   #27
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by danderer View Post
No idea but their support folks could tell you: Raymarine forum

Thanks for the help, and for the record, they told me no, a DSM300 doesn't work with Axiom.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:32 PM   #28
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I agree with the suggestion to review The Hull Truth, but do so keeping in mind where they are coming from and what their priorities are. There is overlap with cruising, but a lot of differences too.

For example, 95% of the THT crew want a radar to find birds so they know where to fish. A few use it to get out or get home at night. And almost none know how to use it (or assess it's suitability) as a real navigation tool.

They are also very focused on fish finder and stereo systems.

In a nut shell, THT is about fishing and recreation in smaller runabouts and center consoles, where TF is about cruising, and associated navigation. I'm not judging - just noting the differences so you can better interpret the comments.
I think that's a bit of a generalization, which I've seen contradicted quite a few times on that site.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:08 PM   #29

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Safe Harbour
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Here's what I did...perhaps it will be helpful.

The starting point was a single VHF without DSC, an old standalone Raymarine radar, a standalone Raymarine depth sounder (not fishfinder), and a Comnav autopilot.

The first year I added a Vesper Marine XB8000 (to get AIS transmit and to put AIS and GPS on a WiFi network), a cheap laptop running Coastal Explorer, an iPad running iNavX, and a Standard Horizon VHF with DSC and built in GPS (so no networking to be done). Total cost was a few thousand bucks. Worked fine for a trip to Alaska. Having GPS and AIS on both the iPad and laptop via the XB8000 was great.

The next year I replaced the Raymarine radar with a Simrad NSS12 and 4G radar. Somewhere around $4k. Big radar improvement. I found I continued to use Coastal Explorer and iPad for chartplotting, so the expensive Simrad MFD was really just a radar screen.

Then I mounted a 24" desktop monitor on the chart table and run CE on that. The combination of the big display, excellent software, lots of chart options, and mouse/keyboard interface make it better for chartplotting than any dedicated hardware I've used.

I've run the boat for 2500 hours and am perfectly happy with the setup. I've never bothered integrating the autopilot (still the original Comnav, great pilot) with anything else; my last boat was setup that way, but I actually like manually adjusting the heading to account for set and drift. It keeps me more aware of what's going on. I never bothered to add a fishfinder module to the Simrad. The original depth sounder works fine and I've yet to miss the fishfinder functions.

Retriever is offline   Reply With Quote