Adding batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordon B

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
41' Defever
Hi to all,
I am thinking about adding 3 more batteries to my bank of 3.
Do I need to change or upgrade anything in the charging system.

Thanks
Gordo

We'd need full details on your batts and charge sources.

Also all batts in a bank should ideally be the same, including age, # cycles used.

Hi to all,
I am thinking about adding 3 more batteries to my bank of 3.
Do I need to change or upgrade anything in the charging system.

Thanks
Gordo

Technically, probably not, but there are a lot of details that could make the setup better. If using the same battery charger for multiple banks, all batteries should be the same type "Flooded" "AGM" etc. Doubling the battery capacity probably means you should increase the size of the charger, but to some extent that depends on what you have now and what kind of charging performance you'd like.... and it goes on.

So keep talking about details and desires and you'll get plenty of advice.

Ken

This topic comes up frequently. It's not just about adding batteries. It's about changing the system, of which the batteries are just a part. Make changes to the batteries without consideration of the rest of the system and you're in for a cascade of unintended consequences.... capacity, use, cabling, fusing, charging at anchor, charging underway, charging in the slip... it's all related, the details are important.

As others pointed out, the short answer is "NO", the qualifier is "it depends". The final answer is found in the details of your system.

This topic comes up frequently. It's not just about adding batteries. It's about changing the system, of which the batteries are just a part. Make changes to the batteries without consideration of the rest of the system and you're in for a cascade of unintended consequences.... capacity, use, cabling, fusing, charging at anchor, charging underway, charging in the slip... it's all related, the details are important.

As others pointed out, the short answer is "NO", the qualifier is "it depends". The final answer is found in the details of your system.

Great advice.

In a perfect world, the batteries you have currently are well matched to the rest of the electrical systems. If you make a big change in the batteries, then they may not be as well matched to the rest of the systems. Look at it as an entire system and see what you want to do.

Fill in the details about the SYSTEM. What are the batteries and how old are they?
Alternator output, amps, and the mfgr and model #?
Internal or external regulator for the alternator?
120V charger. How big, mfgr. and model # ?

You can of course just add them but without consideration of the system as a whole you may be disappointed.
Not everything has to be done at once but without a plan and consideration of all of it you are likely to have trouble.
Many times the best way is to make some changes in how the system is wired first.
Sometimes you are better off to change what you have to improve that performance rather than just adding stuff.
How do you use your boat? How do you intend to use your boat.?

And do some searches as similar questions abound and present almost weekly.
Not blowing you off but you will see the kinds of questions you will get and should think about.

Anyway , details. And it's a good question.

Lots of good advice here. It's the whole system that matters....starting from the big cables and moving to the small ones.

I had to recable to make it right and I never regretted it. IMO, it's important to separate the charge side from the load side with separate controls for each.

Draw out the system you'd like to have then build it from the schematic. Check out the sticky thread on the top of the Electrical and Electronics Section.

Back
Top Bottom