Old 11-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #21

City: Baltimore
I won't give up on it. can't wait to see what is in store...

eseyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Baltimore, Maryland
Vessel Name: HAVEN
Vessel Model: Golden Star 35
Kindle Fire, 1st Gen

The Interactive Cruising Guidebook won't load on this Kindle because the device doesn't support Adobe Flash...saying that, I too would like to know if Active Captain Guidebook and Companion will work on the new Kindle HDX 8.9" screen

artfulltune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #23
Guru

City: Pensacola
Just downloaded. I can see the utility in it. I run from my fly bridge and don't use a laptop. My phone is always on the bridge with me. This is a great offline/ follow along tool. I like it so far!!

Great job.
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #24
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Downloaded, but really have no idea of it's usefulness in my cruising area as Active Captain hasn't been embraced by the West coast as much as the East coast. I'm just an early adopter, so I'll wait and see.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Baltimore, Maryland
Vessel Name: HAVEN
Vessel Model: Golden Star 35
Kindle Fire, 1st Gen

Thanks Blue Heron...guess it's time to upgrade to the Kindle HDX
artfulltune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #26
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Downloaded, but really have no idea of it's usefulness in my cruising area as Active Captain hasn't been embraced by the West coast as much as the East coast. I'm just an early adopter, so I'll wait and see.
You should poke around Puget Sound, Vancouver Island, and the inside passage to SE Alaska - there's a tremendous amount of data there now.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Laramie
Vessel Name: Song of San Fransisco
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander
Having Active Capt. running when not connected to the internet is huge for us. We run Garmin Blue charts and Active Captain on my Ipad. Other than the audio alert is there any other reason to have an additional device using electricity on the bridge? If it is only the warning could that be integrated into the AC on for the IPad?
Darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylat8750 View Post
Other than the audio alert is there any other reason to have an additional device using electricity on the bridge? If it is only the warning could that be integrated into the AC on for the IPad?
First, you'd be challenged to detect the 2.75 watts of trickle charging needed to keep a phone or tablet powered while underway in a trawler.

The Companion is at v1.0. The goal of this first version is to get the software released on all platforms and provide the audible hazard warning. If you don't feel that being reminded of a hazard in your path is useful along with having all data offline, don't use the Companion. There are dozens of other functions coming including some that are online - knowing where your friends are currently located is more useful when you can see their current position although we'll also be supporting satellite mechanisms for position reporting. The online capabilities might not be possible for some areas though although that's something I'm willing to bet will change in upcoming years.

Other navigation applications can certainly provide hazard warnings. I hope some of them will add that - I'd help them. All server assisted capabilities like the locator service will also be available to all other software to add (for free from us). But some future Companion functions will require a lot of background processing time - something that most navigation products won't be doing because they're busy making sure your position and navigation data is properly displayed. Those are the areas where the Companion will serve as a true assistant watching your progress and helping provide new types of information that you couldn't get in other ways.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Laramie
Vessel Name: Song of San Fransisco
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander
"First, you'd be challenged to detect the 2.75 watts of trickle charging needed to keep a phone or tablet powered while underway in a trawler."

I certainly agree with that. I have down loaded it to my HTC phone and played with it some on the hard. It seems to work as advertised. I spend all most all my time underway on the fly bridge and having the additional wires/clutter probably isn't worth it to me at this time, mainly due to the fact that I'm so happy with the Active Captain app on my IPad. I'll try it again next summer.
Darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #30

City: Baltimore
Agree. the website open is a much more useable option. Not to beat a dead horse but the map blurriness is a deal breaker for me, especially since it is engineered that way. when i am a harbor, where markers are close to one another, i can't zoom into see a hazard (or any marker) the map becomes unusable to the point i don't know where or what i am looking at, even in an area i am familiar with.

Great concept but has some quirks that need ironed out...i still look forward to the updates.
eseyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eseyoung View Post
Great concept but has some quirks that need ironed out...i still look forward to the updates.
I love that comment - it perfectly describes a segment I wrote for Wednesday's newsletter. It's very much like the first few years when ActiveCaptain was released and we got continual complaints how no one would use ActiveCaptain until we supported the printing of the data. It didn't recognize the vision of what was new and instead forced some people to shoehorn ActiveCaptain into something they already knew where it came up short.

It's amazing to read some of the other positive comments we've gotten. After just a couple of weeks, some people have changed their underway checklist to include Companion setup and speaker testing before they put their engines in gear. I'd rather look forward and give others time to catch up rather than waste time to implement technology like high quality charts that make no sense, miss the vision, and keep everything very US-centric.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #32
Guru

City: Pensacola
I don't have to wish I has access to my Active Captain local info anymore. It is at my fingertips
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #33
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Well said, Active Captain is my 3rd mate on board and has saved my rear a number of times over the past few years.

Thanks Jeff

gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote