Active Captain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capecodder

Vessel Name
Osprey
Vessel Make
Her Shine. Newburyport
Nice to get an update. (I have stopped using the product till it’s kinda stable)

“Improvements in progress. View Online
Garmin

Dear ActiveCaptain Community Members,

The new ActiveCaptain® website was launched on May 23 and included required privacy protection updates. As a result of this update, you may be experiencing sign-in issues. We're also aware of problems with updating the ActiveCaptain Community data within ActiveCaptain and BlueChart® Mobile applications.

We know that this is a terrible inconvenience to the community, and our technical teams have been working around the clock to address these issues. We are targeting to have these problems fixed by Monday, June 18.

We will provide you with another email update once the issues have been fixed.

As a reminder, due to the same privacy protection rules that required us to make changes to the ActiveCaptain website and related ActiveCaptain mobile applications, we were unable to make these changes in Homeport™, which resulted in the permanent removal of the ActiveCaptain Community.

We regret the impact this has had on the community, and we are committed to getting things back up and running as quickly as possible. We appreciate all that you put into the community as well as your patience as we work to resolve these problems. Rest assured that we are committed to building your trust in us and to expanding the ActiveCaptain Community.

Sincerely,
Garmin Marine Team

Please do not reply to this message. It was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming email. Visit support.garmin.com for help with your product. For aviation products, visit fly.garmin.com/support.

Garmin respects your right to privacy and shares your concern about the security of any information you may submit. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

© 2018 Garmin Ltd. or its subsidiaries. All rights reserved. Garmin International, 1200 E. 151st Street, Olathe, KS 66062”

Yeah, Garmin has so far made a mess of it. Just about everything that made Active Captain great is gone. Intentional or accidental, gone is gone. I wonder if they'll ever fix it but I can't wait, already moving on.

Well, we wanted better communication, a plan, and maybe a little humility. Garmin has stepped up with all of those.

AC still has all the crowd-sourced data, and if Garmin continues playing nice, people will continue to add more. Garmin may even make a real effort to support 3rd party uses.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Not a huge Garmin fan for a number of reasons, but I'm willing to give them their due when they get it right.

I really liked Garmin Blue Chart Mobile, with the Active Captain overlay. I hope that Garmin comes back with a similar product. The best thing about it was we could get crowd-sourced updates on hazards, marinas and local knowledge. We heavily relied on this info during our AICW trip a few years ago.

I tried the Sea IQ, bit am having a difficult transition to it. You know, "go with what you know"...

I can see the AC icons but can't seem to get the pertinent details to display.

I tried the Sea IQ, bit am having a difficult transition to it. You know, "go with what you know"...

I can see the AC icons but can't seem to get the pertinent details to display.

Click on the icon. Then a small box surrounding the icon will appear. Then double click inside the box and the icon's data will show up.

David

Even though the new Active Captain home page talks about "up to date fuel prices" on their home page, I can find no such thing. Am I missing something on Active Captain? If not, can anybody suggest other ways to get up to date fuel price listings? Waterway Guide has some, but much less than the old Active Captain listings.

Ken

The Active Captain website map is slowly getting better but far from the functionality of the original Jeff Siegel website. It now remembers your last location and map preference rather than pointing you to somewhere in Kansas. That is a big plus.

The whole route thing is still non existent. I wish they would restore route distance measurement first. I used that a lot for planning.

Marina and fuel lists are probably gone for good. Jeff made money from his preferred marinas among other things, but I suspect Garmin isn't interested in that. The starred designation is still there but the links steering you to them is gone.

So, Garmin seems to have focused on maintaining the crowd sourced data and the tools to do that are now in place. But not much else.

David

It's still there. MAP> on the left side under Markers>Fuel, select gas or diesel. It will show marinas on the map zoom with the selected fuel. Scroll down the marina data to the fuel tab. If someone entered the price recently, it will show there.

Attachments

• BZLfuel.PNG
    BZLfuel.PNG
    164.3 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Quick question on this thread: I have the Garmin Active Captain App on my phone. Downloaded about a year ago. Is this App outdated? Do I need to delete it and download the latest one?

My understanding is that the Garmin Bluechart Mobile is no longer supported by Garmin. It will continue to function but won’t be updated by Garmin. If you delete it you’ll see that there is no replacement at this time.

I’m hoping that Garmin offers a comparable product as I really liked and understood Garmin Bluechart Mobile. I’m afraid that they just want us to buy their more much expensive chart plotter and MFD.

It's still there. MAP> on the left side under Markers>Fuel, select gas or diesel. It will show marinas on the map zoom with the selected fuel. Scroll down the marina data to the fuel tab. If someone entered the price recently, it will show there.

Yes I've been playing with this. It works, but it's a tiny vestige of what used to be in the fuel lists and it does not list any fuel source that is not a marina. We have a number of those around here and they usually have the better prices.

Waterway Guide is far easier and quicker to use for fuel prices but they also do not list any non-marina fuel source.

Ken

There are several non marina fuel sources shown in my area on the AC map, they are pin pointed by the same symbol that is used to show an actual marina. Red dot with white sailboat. They do list phone numbers so could be called for prices in case no review is available.
Is there a way to measure distances on the new maps?

It would seem I have upset Jeff on the AC Facebook page by posting this article....

Well, we wanted better communication, a plan, and maybe a little humility. Garmin has stepped up with all of those.

AC still has all the crowd-sourced data, and if Garmin continues playing nice, people will continue to add more. Garmin may even make a real effort to support 3rd party uses.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Not a huge Garmin fan for a number of reasons, but I'm willing to give them their due when they get it right.

Agreed. I also hope that Garmin will be a bit less... capricious ...in dealings with the user base.

I found Jeffery’s defense interesting. First he claims to know Kaylee, even says she has lots of experience from 20 years ago. How does he know her? Sure he gets some information when you set up an active captain account but he suggest that he knows her In Much greater detail then that. It is possible he has gotten to know her through some sort of AC social gathering. Next he deflects the whole plagiarism question by stating Douglas never copyrighted their works, suggesting they stole it from Kaylee. Why get in the middle, if He had nothing to do with Kaylee then just say “Kaylee is a properly created account, we have no knowledge as to why it is so similar to the Douglas Guide but isn’t it nice to have all that info on AC, by the way the Douglass guide is not copywrited so we haven’t done anything wrong by not removing it”. This would be tossing Kaylee under the bus something it appears Jeffrey is afraid to do. Finally, for some one who has sold out he is very defensive. If Kaylee is a real person then not his problem. If Kaylee is some sort of in house operation then maybe Garmin has a contract issue with him. Frankly this is all speculation and anyone truly concerned about Kaylee should take this issue up with Garmin. I shall now search the internet to learn more about the Douglas guide.

I found Jeffery’s defense interesting. First he claims to know Kaylee, even says she has lots of experience from 20 years ago. How does he know her? Sure he gets some information when you set up an active captain account but he suggest that he knows her In Much greater detail then that. It is possible he has gotten to know her through some sort of AC social gathering. Next he deflects the whole plagiarism question by stating Douglas never copyrighted their works, suggesting they stole it from Kaylee. Why get in the middle, if He had nothing to do with Kaylee then just say “Kaylee is a properly created account, we have no knowledge as to why it is so similar to the Douglas Guide but isn’t it nice to have all that info on AC, by the way the Douglass guide is not copywrited so we haven’t done anything wrong by not removing it”. This would be tossing Kaylee under the bus something it appears Jeffrey is afraid to do. Finally, for some one who has sold out he is very defensive. If Kaylee is a real person then not his problem. If Kaylee is some sort of in house operation then maybe Garmin has a contract issue with him. Frankly this is all speculation and anyone truly concerned about Kaylee should take this issue up with Garmin. I shall now search the internet to learn more about the Douglas guide.

That's such BS. Anything you write is inherently copyright, whether marked or not. Marking is just puts you in a better position to defend the copyright and claim damages. And regardless, I have a copy of the Douglass book and it is most certainly copyright, and marked so.

Whether Kaylee is someone acting on their own, or someone fabricated by AC or acting on AC's behalf is only half of the problem. It would take a judge about two seconds to agree that AC content is a copyright infringement of the Douglass book. That's the base problem and it's not going away regardless of who/what Kaylee is. Garmin "bought" that copyright infringement when they bought AC, and AC knew there was alleged issue based on past discussions here on TF. When buying a company, the company typically has to disclose and issues like this, and warrant there are no others. If AC didn't disclose what was required, that would be a problem between Garmin and Jeff.

The Kaylee questions then compounds on top of that. If Kaylee is not a real person acting on their own, but actually the hand of AC, then AC itself is responsible for the copyright infringement. At that point not only did AC know about the problem, but they actually engineered it in the first place and caused it to happen. That could make for a really big problem.

That's such BS. Anything you write is inherently copyright, whether marked or not. Marking is just puts you in a better position to defend the copyright and claim damages. And regardless, I have a copy of the Douglass book and it is most certainly copyright, and marked so.

Whether Kaylee is someone acting on their own, or someone fabricated by AC or acting on AC's behalf is only half of the problem. It would take a judge about two seconds to agree that AC content is a copyright infringement of the Douglass book. That's the base problem and it's not going away regardless of who/what Kaylee is. Garmin "bought" that copyright infringement when they bought AC, and AC knew there was alleged issue based on past discussions here on TF. When buying a company, the company typically has to disclose and issues like this, and warrant there are no others. If AC didn't disclose what was required, that would be a problem between Garmin and Jeff.

The Kaylee questions then compounds on top of that. If Kaylee is not a real person acting on their own, but actually the hand of AC, then AC itself is responsible for the copyright infringement. At that point not only did AC know about the problem, but they actually engineered it in the first place and caused it to happen. That could make for a really big problem.

In simplest terms, the issue is whether the information as arranged is sufficiently original to merit copyright protection. Facts alone are not copyrightable but their organization and display can be-if there is sufficient creativity. Copyright is often not as simple as it appears. And note, you do have to register a copyright to enforce it in the US.

Wifey B: Whether copyright infringement or not, it's still plagiarism. It's the kind of stuff to get you flunked out of school or fired from a job. And if someone knowingly publishes plagiarized information then they're just as guilty whether or not they're the ones who actually plagiarized. Who cares about the legal aspect. Jeffrey's argument goes from didn't, to she may have, to not legally so don't care. Well, I still give it an F. At the very least give the originating resource credit. :nonono:

Well I sent Garmin an email and also post the following on their FB page:

Garmin, Are you aware of the possible copy right violations related to Active Captain? It would appear a fictitious person named Kaylee plagiarized posting directly from the Douglass guides.

Will be interesting to see if you get a response. I know people at garmin but they are aviation so it does no good for me to reach out to them.

Wifey B: Whether copyright infringement or not, it's still plagiarism. It's the kind of stuff to get you flunked out of school or fired from a job. And if someone knowingly publishes plagiarized information then they're just as guilty whether or not they're the ones who actually plagiarized. Who cares about the legal aspect. Jeffrey's argument goes from didn't, to she may have, to not legally so don't care. Well, I still give it an F. At the very least give the originating resource credit. :nonono:

:thumb:

Agree. He's just dug a hole so deep that now dirt is just flying everywhere. I had hoped all the Jeff drama was over post Garmin, but I guess not.....

The FB posts read like the Jeff of his TF persona- so damn emotionally connected to his perception of truth. Reminds me of a 13 year old pouty little boy

:iagree:

The FB posts read like the Jeff of his TF persona- so damn emotionally connected to his perception of truth. Reminds me of a 13 year old pouty little boy

I thought we were supposed to keep politics out of TF. :hide:

You do all remember Jeffrey thrives on controversy?

Here. Is how I see things. Slowboat points out a questionable coincidence between Kaylee AC and the Douglass guide(facts). Jeffery takes offense that they didn’t come to him directly. We are still no closer to the truth but Jeffery now has less credibility due to all the verbal shucking n jiving instead of posting facts. Plagiarism and copyrights we will leave to the courts. With the change in media and the fact that both are describing land features in non creative styles copyright infringement becomes a difficult case to prove. Still not my problem. On the other hand I now have the Douglas guide for SE Alaska on my SeaIQ App as verified by Slowboat. Now I would be wrestling with the moral concept of fairness using the AC data while not owning the Douglass guide, except I am not planing to boat in SE Alaska any time soon(I could also use the excuse that I don’t have enough facts to know I was doing something morally wrong or I could just have no morals or something between the two)

In the end Slowboat has really opened my eyes. I will be paying a lot more attention to who is reviewing on AC.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom