Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-12-2014, 12:09 PM   #21
Guru


 
City: Full-time onboard
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Trawler
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 937
I wrote to the moderators to ask them how/if they'd like an "ActiveCaptain 101" thread. In the meantime, there is a Getting Started page here:
https://activecaptain.com/articles/m...ingStarted.php

There's also an official list of shipping navigation products that have ActiveCaptain inside their product here:
https://activecaptain.com/navProducts.php
__________________
Advertisement

Jeffrey S is offline  
Old 12-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #22
Guru
 
Forkliftt's Avatar
 
City: Biloxi Mississippi
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,433
Me too. I love to use AC on my laptop (PC) at work to preview possible cruising areas, but have never wrapped my head around using it at the boat. I purchased a suggested app- AquaMap for my iPhone, but never got the hang of it. The wife has an iPad, that might be where I need to put my efforts.


1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
__________________

__________________
Steve Point Cadet/ Biloxi, Mississippi USA
*Present 42 twin 135 Lehmans
Forkliftt is offline  
Old 12-12-2014, 12:20 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
City: Pittsburg, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: NoMoBoat
Vessel Model: Trawlers
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 278
Jeffery,

Thanks much for taking the time to school us on AC.

The big question that I cannot seem to find an answer for is this:

OpenCPN is also highly regarded on TF, but in trying to search both CPN and AC, I could not find anything about the two being compatible. Can you answer this question?

I am just starting to use CPN with my laptop using my chartplotter GPS. I would very much like to integrate AC with this set up. Is it possible, or even in the works?
I could not find any reference to the two together in the development notes.

Thanks in advance.
__________________
JimS on the Delta
Delta_JimS is offline  
Old 12-12-2014, 12:29 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
mattkab's Avatar
 
City: Tacoma
Country: USA
Vessel Name: C:\[ESC]
Vessel Model: 2002 Bayliner 4788
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 238
Send a message via Skype™ to mattkab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta_JimS View Post
OpenCPN is also highly regarded on TF, but in trying to search both CPN and AC, I could not find anything about the two being compatible. Can you answer this question?

I am just starting to use CPN with my laptop using my chartplotter GPS. I would very much like to integrate AC with this set up. Is it possible, or even in the works?
I could not find any reference to the two together in the development notes.

Thanks in advance.
This is something I'm interested in as well.

As a software developer by trade, I'd be willing to help in any way necessary. Maybe by creating an OpenCPN plugin for the interface?
__________________
Thanks,
Matt B.
http://mvcesc.wordpress.com/
mattkab is offline  
Old 12-12-2014, 12:31 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
mattkab's Avatar
 
City: Tacoma
Country: USA
Vessel Name: C:\[ESC]
Vessel Model: 2002 Bayliner 4788
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 238
Send a message via Skype™ to mattkab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
I wrote to the moderators to ask them how/if they'd like an "ActiveCaptain 101" thread. In the meantime, there is a Getting Started page here:
https://activecaptain.com/articles/m...ingStarted.php
What about a sub-forum dedicated to ActiveCaptain?
__________________
Thanks,
Matt B.
http://mvcesc.wordpress.com/
mattkab is offline  
Old 12-12-2014, 01:34 PM   #26
Guru
 
windmist's Avatar
 
City: Port Orchard, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 908
I look at AC in the comfort of my living room but not on the boat. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks to me that you have to be on line to use it. I don't see anyway to download the information to a memory stick for use on the boat computer.
__________________
Ron

The five stages of life: Sailboats, Motorboats, Motor Homes, Nursing Home, Funeral Home.
windmist is offline  
Old 12-12-2014, 01:42 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Richard W's Avatar
 
City: Florida USA and Ontario Canada
Country: The 3rd Rock from the Sun
Vessel Name: anytime
Vessel Model: 2007 Chaparral 270 Signature LOA 29'
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 303
Most if not all of the nav applications for the PC, tablet, smartphone, etc that support AC allow to download the entire AC database for the offline use.

You need to use the nav app that supports AC to do this ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
There's also an official list of shipping navigation products that have ActiveCaptain inside their product here:
https://activecaptain.com/navProducts.php
__________________
Best ... Richard
Richard W is offline  
Old 12-12-2014, 01:46 PM   #28
Guru
 
siestakey's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,271
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmist View Post
I look at AC in the comfort of my living room but not on the boat. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks to me that you have to be on line to use it. I don't see anyway to download the information to a memory stick for use on the boat computer.
Yes much of it is downloadable but I am still learning
siestakey is offline  
Old 12-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #29
Guru


 
City: Full-time onboard
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Trawler
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta_JimS View Post
OpenCPN is also highly regarded on TF, but in trying to search both CPN and AC, I could not find anything about the two being compatible. Can you answer this question?
I've been involved with the developers of OpenCPN for a while. The problem is that their licensing (it is licensed) conflicted with the license and requirements we have for ActiveCaptain. It's a complex area and caused years of disagreement between me and the OpenCPN community.

After years of trying to figure out a way, a new capability coming with a server product I'm working on shined a light on a way out of the licensing issues. I'm currently working with one of the main OpenCPN developers on an ActiveCaptain PlugIn. He's writing the OCPN part and I'm developing a new open API to ActiveCaptain that doesn't need the same type of licensing. OpenCPN will be the first user of it. Development is progressing well - I'll attach some screenshots. All of them are real - I just made them based on where we are right now with the latest version of OpenCPN. Note that the PlugIn still has some development to go and has not been released yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OCPN-1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	35304   Click image for larger version

Name:	OCPN-2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	35305   Click image for larger version

Name:	OCPN-3.png
Views:	61
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	35306   Click image for larger version

Name:	OCPN-4.png
Views:	65
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	35307  
Jeffrey S is offline  
Old 12-12-2014, 02:07 PM   #30
Guru
 
Tom.B's Avatar
 
City: Cary, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,153
Hello group--- The mod team has received Jeff's inquiry and will discuss it. However, being that I am the first to see this, I will say that I, currently, don't see a problem with either continuing on with an Active Captain Q&A session or the starting of an AC101 thread in the commercial section.

HOWEVER!!!! Be aware that we have guidelines to commercial content and commercial members so that our community is not totally inundated with people trying to mine your data or get you to buy Rolex watches :-) It also keeps 'em honest. Please, please, please keep it ON TOPIC and don't put Jeff in a position where he has to defend Active Captain against other competing companies or other boating services. STAY ON THE SUBJECT OF ACTIVE CAPTAIN... ONLY! Should petty arguments, posturing, personal attacks, trolling, or even minor thread creep stray into the thread, we will deal with that per the community rules.

We'll discuss it among ourselves, but for the time being, y'all have at it. We'll be in touch. :-)
__________________
2000 Navigator 4200 Classic
(NOT a trawler)
Tom.B is offline  
Old 12-12-2014, 02:08 PM   #31
Guru


 
City: Full-time onboard
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Trawler
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmist View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks to me that you have to be on line to use it. I don't see anyway to download the information to a memory stick for use on the boat computer.
80% of ActiveCaptain use today is offline using one of the navigation products that license our data (for free). Included with that is our own ActiveCaptain Companion app (also free) for iOS, Android, Windows, and Macintosh OSX. The Companion is a different kind of thing - I wrote newsletter item about it recently because it has been misunderstood:
https://activecaptain.com/newsletters/2014-11-26.php

20% of ActiveCaptain use it on the website. That is the only use today that is "online". Using ActiveCaptain on any of the apps that have it built in requires no internet connection at all. Every marina, anchorage, bridge, hazard, etc along with all reviews are kept offline - our entire website. When you have an internet connection, you can synchronize the app with our server to make sure you have the latest info. What gets downloaded is everything that has changed since the last time you sync'd it. It's pretty quick and should be done every day before taking off underway - it will take under a minute of sync time like that.

At the Miami Boat Show in a couple of months, the first manufacturer is releasing ActiveCaptain on their MFD's built in and offline (releasing, not announcing). Another might be announcing support and a third is working out the details. The fourth (there are only 4 major manufacturers) surely knows about it but hasn't moved forward. We believe that having ActiveCaptain on chartplotters will reduce website use down to 10%.

And when the OpenCPN PlugIn is released (January?), that'll knock web site use by another 3-5% bringing it down to about 5% of total use.

The bottom line...our goal is to have 0% of boaters using the website for planning and analysis. For pure ActiveCaptain exploration, you should be using it on your navigation product. There are plenty to choose from and if yours doesn't support ActiveCaptain, you can replace it or augment it with a variety that do.
Jeffrey S is offline  
Old 12-12-2014, 02:09 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
mattkab's Avatar
 
City: Tacoma
Country: USA
Vessel Name: C:\[ESC]
Vessel Model: 2002 Bayliner 4788
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 238
Send a message via Skype™ to mattkab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
I've been involved with the developers of OpenCPN for a while. The problem is that their licensing (it is licensed) conflicted with the license and requirements we have for ActiveCaptain. It's a complex area and caused years of disagreement between me and the OpenCPN community.

After years of trying to figure out a way, a new capability coming with a server product I'm working on shined a light on a way out of the licensing issues. I'm currently working with one of the main OpenCPN developers on an ActiveCaptain PlugIn. He's writing the OCPN part and I'm developing a new open API to ActiveCaptain that doesn't need the same type of licensing. OpenCPN will be the first user of it. Development is progressing well - I'll attach some screenshots. All of them are real - I just made them based on where we are right now with the latest version of OpenCPN. Note that the PlugIn still has some development to go and has not been released yet.
This is absolutely fantastic news. I'll be patient.

My offer still stands if you need test or dev resources (especially on ARM boards)
__________________
Thanks,
Matt B.
http://mvcesc.wordpress.com/
mattkab is offline  
Old 12-12-2014, 02:16 PM   #33
Guru


 
City: Full-time onboard
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Trawler
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkab View Post
My offer still stands if you need test or dev resources (especially on ARM boards)
I'm sure some early testing will be desired. There's a section on CruisersForum.com just about OpenCPN and announcements will likely happen there. It's their PlugIn to release and we're definitely write about it in a weekly newsletter when there's news.
Jeffrey S is offline  
Old 12-12-2014, 02:27 PM   #34
Guru
 
siestakey's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,271
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Hello group--- The mod team has received Jeff's inquiry and will discuss it. However, being that I am the first to see this, I will say that I, currently, don't see a problem with either continuing on with an Active Captain Q&A session or the starting of an AC101 thread in the commercial section.

HOWEVER!!!! Be aware that we have guidelines to commercial content and commercial members so that our community is not totally inundated with people trying to mine your data or get you to buy Rolex watches :-) It also keeps 'em honest. Please, please, please keep it ON TOPIC and don't put Jeff in a position where he has to defend Active Captain against other competing companies or other boating services. STAY ON THE SUBJECT OF ACTIVE CAPTAIN... ONLY! Should petty arguments, posturing, personal attacks, trolling, or even minor thread creep stray into the thread, we will deal with that per the community rules.

We'll discuss it among ourselves, but for the time being, y'all have at it. We'll be in touch. :-)
Thanks really looking forward to the active captain 101 thread if you guys can make it possible
siestakey is offline  
Old 12-12-2014, 02:28 PM   #35
Guru
 
siestakey's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,271
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkab View Post
This is absolutely fantastic news. I'll be patient.

My offer still stands if you need test or dev resources (especially on ARM boards)
agreed it is fantastic exciting stuff
siestakey is offline  
Old 12-12-2014, 02:44 PM   #36
Veteran Member
 
Reveille's Avatar
 
City: United States
Country: United States
Vessel Name: First Forty
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 26
What are the flags attached to some of the marina icons? Some have a flag with a (*), others have (1st) and some have (1st C)
Reveille is offline  
Old 12-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #37
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,955
Here's a question...

I use Active Captain on my laptop, and like it. Most oof whaqt I like is the marina ratings.

Is there a way to use it on my IPAD?

Thanks
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline  
Old 12-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #38
Guru


 
City: Full-time onboard
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Trawler
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveille View Post
What are the flags attached to some of the marina icons? Some have a flag with a (*), others have (1st) and some have (1st C)
Marinas with a special icons are sponsor marinas. They are selected by us and allowed to pay for more exposure. We don't accept all facilities who want to be sponsors. 1st Choice facilities are sponsors who average more than 4 stars by users. Ones with Co-Op symbols have a special deal happening right now that we approved - it's time sensitive and something quite good or else we won't approve it. And there's a new WiFi icon on a few marinas that have verified exceptional WiFi - good enough for streaming video on multiple devices while also doing normal web use.
Jeffrey S is offline  
Old 12-12-2014, 02:58 PM   #39
Guru


 
City: Full-time onboard
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Trawler
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Is there a way to use it on my IPAD?
Definitely - many ways. Better ways!

Check out:
https://activecaptain.com/navProducts.php
Jeffrey S is offline  
Old 12-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #40
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmist View Post
I look at AC in the comfort of my living room but not on the boat. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks to me that you have to be on line to use it. I don't see anyway to download the information to a memory stick for use on the boat computer.
If you have a wifi/cellular iPad you do not have to be online to use charting apps like Navimatics because the wifi/cellular models of iPad contain a stand-alone GPS/Glonas receiver. The wifi-only models do not. The is why the charting/positioning/tracking app Navimatics (which is NOT a plotter app) will work perfectly with no connectivity at all. And if one has downloaded the Active Captain data base to Navimatics, no connectivity is required to use it, either.

Connectivity IS required if you want to submit information to Active Captain or download the database.

Which to me is brilliant because we can use Navimatics and Active captain without regards to cellular or wifi signals because we don't need them

There are land applications that are similar--- I have a world streetmap app which, once you download the maps you want, will then track your position, and with the new version you can even enter routes to folllow, all with no connectivity at all. So I've used it out in the middle of China, on our France trip the other month, in Australia, Brazil, the Middle East, and so on.

But only the wifi/celular models of iPads will do this. My wife's newer mini, for example, is a wifi/cellular version and has all the same appls my full-size iPads have. You do not have to have a cellular account, only a cellular iPad.

(The clerks in the electronics stores dont seem to know this, however. The techs in an Apple Store should. The info is in the iPad specs but you have to drill down to find it.)

I do not know if any of this applies to the iPad Air. I have not drilled down into the specs to see if the wifi/cellular Air has the same GPS/Glonas stand alone receiever as the regular iPad models.

As one can see from the two screen shots I posted, the iPad app Navimatics with Active Captain activated and the database downloaded is a terrifc tool. We use it in place of the big chartbooks we keep at the helm. Unlike a charbook or a stand-alone plotter, of which we have two on board, the Navimatics app lets you zoom in and out and pan around all with a few finger swipes to get the big picture or zoom in for the super-detailed picture. And with Active Captain layered onto it, it makes Navimatics the equivelent of a cruising guide. Better, in fact, because you can move around on it so fast. It has become as important a tool for us, particularly on a longer cruise, than the plotters, radar, and radios.

The iPad in the shot below is happily plotting our exact position on the screen and leaving a track, and is displaying all the Active Captain database links on the chart, any one of which could be tapped to get the information displayed. Both the wifi and cellular connection buttons on the iPad's control panel are turned off. And if my wife wanted to, she could zoom in to just the tightest part of the passage with one reverse pinch of the fingers

Bloody brilliant thing you've created here, Jeffery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	35308  
__________________

Marin is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012