Old 08-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #41
Guru

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
Since Aug 8, the Walmart chest freezer has run a total of 50 hrs and 19 minutes. This is maintaining 28 degrees at the brine brick. The basket in the upper part of the freezer hovers around 40. My beer stays deliciously cold in the bottom and refrigerator items don't freeze in the basket.

It's interesting to note that the brine brick, designed to melt/hold 28*, will make ice even when the freezer isn't powered.

We know the brine brick will provide refrigeration for 6 days without power. Never buy ice even on long weekends on the road/water. This was the original intent - to replace an ice filled cooler...and the freezer even has a smaller footprint.

I'll gather some data on inverter/generator cycles during the 2000 mile tow to Lake Powell and while on the lake, to see if inverting power for the freezer can be managed with our normal generator run time, using a Freedom 30 and single dedicated AGM battery.

And by the way, it's my job to support unconventional thinking. Don't take it personally and don't try to put me out of work.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #42
Guru

City: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
And by the way, it's my job to support unconventional thinking. Don't take it personally and don't try to put me out of work.
How much does it pay? I know some out of work pontificators who might like some extra income.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #43
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
Since Aug 8, the Walmart chest freezer has run a total of 50 hrs and 19 minutes. This is maintaining 28 degrees at the brine brick. The basket in the upper part of the freezer hovers around 40. My beer stays deliciously cold in the bottom and refrigerator items don't freeze in the basket.

It's interesting to note that the brine brick, designed to melt/hold 28*, will make ice even when the freezer isn't powered.

We know the brine brick will provide refrigeration for 6 days without power. Never buy ice even on long weekends on the road/water. This was the original intent - to replace an ice filled cooler...and the freezer even has a smaller footprint.

I'll gather some data on inverter/generator cycles during the 2000 mile tow to Lake Powell and while on the lake, to see if inverting power for the freezer can be managed with our normal generator run time, using a Freedom 30 and single dedicated AGM battery.

Now that's some out-of-the-icebox thinking! Got any pics? Never heard of a brine brick before.

We have an built-in AC/DC Norcold box that, while not efficient, runs well. It sits low so that you need to get onto the floor to see what's inside. We recently added a 120V apartment size unit on the countertop run off the inverter. When we're on shore power or generator, it gets its power from those sources. The Admiral loves it since we don't have to bend over to get into it. I love it for the extra capacity and no longer a need for ice in a cooler for drinks.

Is it marine? No. Is it a bit redneck? Yes! But it looks like it's staying! We'll be adding a marine style hook/latch to the side to secure the door while underway, change to a granite countertop to accomodate the door swinging open above the fiddling and secure the unit from tipping. If the next owner doesn't like it, he can remove it with minimal effort or scarring.

The benefit of a forum like this is to give and receive different opinions on various topics and allow the individual to decide which works best for him. I know I've made suggestions in the past that turned out to be bad ideas, as pointed out by other posters. It's a good thing that they pointed this out.

I've also posted ideas or experiences with products that have worked well, only to be blasted by other poster(s) that it's a terrible idea or it doesn't work. I know it's frustrating when you share your experience with someone asking for help and others feel the need to contradict most if not all you post.

There is no one-size-fits-all solution to all problems. When it comes to safety and sound practices, the issue should be WHAT is right, not WHO is right. The sooner we all get that idea and allow each other to contribute without the personal attacks the better.
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #44
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Name: Encore
Vessel Model: Whitby 42
When our Vitrifrigo AC/DC quit working I replaced the control unit with a DC only unit. I don't see the point of AC operation. If I have AC I also have DC from the battery charger charging the batteries.

Bob
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #45
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
When our Vitrifrigo AC/DC quit working I replaced the control unit with a DC only unit. I don't see the point of AC operation. If I have AC I also have DC from the battery charger charging the batteries.

Bob
Agreed. If my AC/DC fails, that's probably where I'll be headed. True 12V DC only (not 12V DC to power an internal inverter for AC) is more efficient.
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #46
Guru

The brine brick is a Walmart (marine) flexible 5 gallon camping container with enough salt to lower the freezing temp to 28*. I started out just using plain water but my beer was always above 34 and the basket temps climbed to the high 40's...needed to reduce both so introduced the salt.

Right now, I put in a case of 16oz plastic bottles (along with the brick) which will be solid tomorrow. I'll then relocate the frozen bottles to the cooler in the van to keep my soft drinks cool for the road - and anything else that needs refrigeration.

While on the road, I'll zero the power on timer and use the inverter to maintain the brick. We'll see if the single (smallish) AGM is up to the task until I run the gen for the evening meal, and overnight a/c if required. If the AGM dies, at least I'll know how many hrs/mins it lasted and can make adjustments.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0766.jpg   IMAG0773.jpg  
Old 08-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #47
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
What ratio of salt to water do you use to make your brine solution Jeff? Any special prep at all?

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #48
Guru

I used one carton of salt for a little less than 5 gallons of water. Heat a couple gallons to help disolve the salt, let it cool and fill the 5 gallon container almost full. If you put this in your freezer it will go solid and as it melts it will stay around 28*. Plain water will only hold the temp at about 34.

Note the quantity on the carton of salt...it's more than a pound.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG1490.jpg  
Old 08-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #49
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Thanks for that. I'll try it out next weekend on a road trip I have planned.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #50
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
To round out my earlier posts on this topic with some hard data: I measured the amp draw and cycle time of my two fridges. One is a Vitrifrigo marine model running 12v direct. It is a 2-door, with the freezer below. It has a capacity of 240litres total. It draws 4.7A when cycling-on and at 17.5C ambient, it cycles on for 6 minutes out of every 12..so a 50% duty cycle. This means it uses 4.7A x 50% x 24hrs = 56.4A over 24 hours, even without the door being opened.

The 2nd fridge is a domestic bar fridge, single door with a small freezer compartment. AC only, it it powered by the inverter. It consumes 7.2A on average over its 5 minute on-cycle...but it cycles on only once every 30minutes..so its duty cycle is 10/60. This means it uses 7.2A x 10/60 x 24 = 28.8A over 24 hours. This fridge is just 140litres...60% of the Vitrifrigo & with a much smaller freezer, so I'm not suggesting that the two are in any way comparable. But it does draw attention to the importance of cycle time in assessing the energy efficiency of refrigerators.
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote